Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Making bee bread  (Read 11486 times)

Offline kalium

• House Bee
Making bee bread
« on: August 07, 2014, 06:24:39 am »
Has anyone ever tried making their own 'bee bread' (for feedback to the bees) ?

I've seen a recipe before of pollen, honey, water and small amount of lactic acid bacteria,
left to sit for several days at different temps.

The apparent advantage is the nutritional quality of the pollen does not degrade (as opposed to drying),
it lasts many years, and does not need to be in a freezer.

Cheers

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Making bee bread
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2014, 07:06:56 am »

I've seen a recipe before of pollen, honey, water and small amount of lactic acid bacteria,

The apparent advantage is the nutritional quality of the pollen does not degrade (as opposed to drying),

Cheers
Kalium,
What you are describing is exactly what is happening in your hive. The reason you add the lactic acid is to cause this mixture to break down,(controlled) I think it takes 7 days. The lactic acid breaks down the pollen so the bees can digest it and the acid is being broke down to the point that it no longer is an acid and the mixture is very stable.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline kalium

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2014, 08:38:35 am »

Cheers
Kalium,
What you are describing is exactly what is happening in your hive. The reason you add the lactic acid is to cause this mixture to break down,(controlled) I think it takes 7 days. The lactic acid breaks down the pollen so the bees can digest it and the acid is being broke down to the point that it no longer is an acid and the mixture is very stable.
Jim

Exactly, and in fact I think you can use some bee bread made by the bees as the starter culture for the process of making your own.

So I'm curious if anyone has done it themselves, and to what degree of success.  It seems to me to offer some advantages (i.e
no need for a freezer, no drop in nutrient quality, very long shelf life) but I've never heard of people actually doing it.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2014, 12:11:56 pm »
If you leave it out, the moths and SHB will find it and produce thousands of offspring. If you end up with a few of their eggs in it and just seal it you will have the same problem. I would keep it frozen.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2014, 08:56:51 pm »
I let the bees do the work...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin