Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Bee video...Thoughts?  (Read 1450 times)

Moots

Bee video...Thoughts?
« on: November 18, 2013, 01:31:53 pm »
Leaving for work this morning and took a quick peek at the one small hive I keep at the house.  Lots of traffic and all looked normal...then I spotted this maybe a foot or two in front of the hive and wasn't sure what to make of it.

The smaller bee hitching the ride, or on the attack I presume, I think is from my hive.  The larger bee, didn't look like a drone to me, but I'm not sure...Even though the quality of the video is pretty bad, the other bee looks significantly larger.  Perhaps an unwelcome guest.  :?

Bee Video

Offline T Beek

• Super Bee
Re: Bee video...Thoughts?
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2013, 02:58:21 pm »
Short but very cool vid. 

IMO; Looked like a drone being chewed upon by a worker  They don't get rid of them all right away (its pretty dark in there  ;), some drones can last quite a while into the winter season before being caught and removed….. and once clusters form they'll survive even longer.  Its on the warmer days when clusters break up we can see this activity. 

Thanks for sharing.
"Trust those who seek the truth, doubt those who say they've found it."

Moots

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2013, 03:25:30 pm »
Short but very cool vid. 

IMO; Looked like a drone being chewed upon by a worker  They don't get rid of them all right away (its pretty dark in there  ;), some drones can last quite a while into the winter season before being caught and removed….. and once clusters form they'll survive even longer.  Its on the warmer days when clusters break up we can see this activity. 

Thanks for sharing.

T Beek,
Thanks for the feedback...I had went home for lunch and checked on the hive again.  It was pretty apparent rather quickly that that's what was happening.  I had two or three drones near the entrance, obviously being denied entry back into the hive...And also had another one being worked over pretty good by a worker. Looks like my bees are having a "throw the bums out" party...not a good day to be a drone.  :-D

I have heard and read about this, but had never actually witnessed it.  Here's a video that's a little better quality.
Video - Worker bee harassing Drone

Offline tefer2

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2013, 04:14:56 pm »
I saw a couple drones yesterday with our little 60 degree warm spell . Some of my hives tolerate having drones in the cluster through winter. They are always from my carniolans or darker bees though. The free loaders! :-D

Offline Royall

• House Bee
  • Yes, snow in Hawaii
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2013, 06:23:22 pm »
I know its just nature but geez, I feel sorry for the little  guy! I don't know if it ever gets cold enough here for girls to kick the drones out.