Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Nuc door gate on the cheap.  (Read 1868 times)

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Nuc door gate on the cheap.
« on: March 25, 2019, 08:18:45 am »
I needed a door for a Nuc that I was setting up for a trap, last week and I had just used my last metal one that day. I have been wanting to try making these doors out of old CDs for a while so I pulled one out and tried it. It worked pretty well and then yesterday I found a stack of CD blanks. I decided to try to make a bunch of them all at once. There were 17 of them and I clamped them to a scrap board using 2 metal clamps. The hard part is keep them lines up because the center ring is thicker then the recording area. I used a 1 1/4 inch fostener bit and a 5/32 standard drill bit. The top 2 discs ended up shattering and the bottom disc moved. After I drilled all of the holes, they were all stuck together due to the plastic melting during the drilling. I was able to carefully separate them.
I ended up having 14 Nuc doors. I put a small washer in the center hole and a larger washer, with a small hole over it and used a wood screw to hold it. You need to bee careful not to make it too tithe and tight enough to keep it from turning on its own during transport.
Here are 2 pictures of one after it is installed.

Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline paus

• Field Bee
Re: Nuc door gate on the cheap.
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2019, 11:25:09 am »
Great Idea I am going to make some right away.  In the long ago past I made an industrial air flow gate similar to the  door you made and I used a washer made from inertube to make sure the gate did not move.  Fender washers should work for the outside washer.  Thanks for the idea.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2019, 02:59:31 pm »
NP.
I found that adjusting the screw just right works pretty good.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline CoolBees

• Queen Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2019, 03:34:10 pm »
That's a great idea. Lots of cd's laying around. Thanks for sharing Jim.

Alan
You cannot permanently help men by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves - Abraham Lincoln