BEEKEEPING LEARNING CENTER > GENERAL BEEKEEPING - MAIN POSTING FORUM.

My wife called...a swarm is moving into my home at this very moment

(1/3) > >>

JurassicApiary:
Well, isn?t this loaded with irony.  We have the final part of our construction project on hold to install our skylights in our home atrium and my wife just called and said a swarm is moving in to our attic crawl space via the open skylight area!  She said the swarm is arriving right now...and of course I?m at work!!!  :(

As I?ve only done a removal of an established colony previously I have a question:

As they?re not just a resting swarm, but are actually taking up residence and moving in at this moment; and, since it is my own home and I have the luxury of time and deciding how to play this out, Is it better to cut them out immediately (e.g. tomorrow), or would it be if I let them settle in and build up a little comb first to get the queen laying and committed to prevent them from absconding when I home them in a hive?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts and suggestions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

iddee:
I would put them in a box today after work. Treat it as any swarm. Move it to the apiary and catch the queen if you can, otherwise trap her in with a queen excluder. Put them in on top of a frame of open brood if available.

JojoBeeBoy:
You must have them trained pretty well if they are coming in the house. Hoped they wiped their feet.

Ben Framed:
I support iddees idea, what did, or, are you going to do? Wishing you Good removing!

Acebird:
Don't let them get established in the house.  You will have problems in the future.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version