Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Super Aggressive Hive  (Read 3102 times)

Offline Donovan J

• House Bee
Super Aggressive Hive (Update)
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2022, 08:24:17 pm »
I kinda love this hive. Went in today expecting the same as yesterday but it was way more tame. Only like 5-10 bees at my face. I used more smoke and made slower movements so that could've contributed too. The whole hive is filled with brood, pollen, and honey. Just absolutely solid brood frames. I can take a bit of aggression with production like that. They got a super because every frame is packed and bees are wall to wall in both brood boxes with tons of brood to hatch. Also about the queen cell, it wasn't one. I tore it open and it was empty. A good bee day today and I'm one happy beekeeper. No queens had to die
3rd year of beekeeping and I still have lots to learn

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: Super Aggressive Hive
« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2022, 09:21:34 am »
A hive that is running out of room and is really strong sometimes gets pretty hard to get along with.  Sometimes more room will fix that.  Sometimes it won't calm down until they either swarm or you do a split.  Smaller colonies are always easier to get along with.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2022, 11:08:00 pm »
This is something I posted in 2017 .. I don't know if this is still true today or not... Yes it is possible to Google... This manual.... Have a great day

BEE  HAPPY  Jim134    :smile:

FABIS Manual ? Fast Africanized Bee Identification ..I know this test is done in Southern Florida by the state ...The state bee Inspector  show up in a portable lab in a Van ..They will have a decision in about 15 minutes ..If you have African bees or not ...This is a free service From the apiary inspector ln Florida ..From what I understand this is supposed to be perform all cut out and swarms ..In Southern Florida .

BEE HAPPY Jim 134   :smile:
« Last Edit: June 16, 2022, 01:43:47 am by Jim 134 »
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

Offline Donovan J

• House Bee
« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2022, 12:04:59 am »
A hive that is running out of room and is really strong sometimes gets pretty hard to get along with.  Sometimes more room will fix that.  Sometimes it won't calm down until they either swarm or you do a split.  Smaller colonies are always easier to get along with.
Yeah I just added a super so they have plenty of space. Just learned that my neighbor was attacked and bees are now hunting me and other family members down and attacking. I'm replacing the queen now. That crossed the line
3rd year of beekeeping and I still have lots to learn

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2022, 06:31:55 am »
>Yeah I just added a super so they have plenty of space.

Maybe... but just adding a super is just some extra that is outside of the current colony.  Mixing those empty frames into the rest of the hive will do much more to actually relieve the congestion than just adding them to the top...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2022, 01:30:09 pm »
Donovan, I left you a message.  We are from the same neck of the woods  :grin:
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

anything