Welcome, Guest

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10
Hi Jim,

I have attached a photo of the engraver cover. It comes with its own dust extraction fan and ducting. The second photo although not clear shows how it is ducted out through a sliding window. A strip of plywood about 4 inches wide is cut to fit the window opening. A hole is cut in the plywood for the gas to escape. I found a food tin of the right size to suit the ducting and attached it to the plywood hole. The ducting is then pushed onto the can when the engraver needs to be used. It does it?s job exceptionally well.
Around here I'm seeing nucs going for around $170-$200. Some seem to charge more for overwinter nucs while others don't. Generally they come in pro-nuc or jester boxes though there are a couple that send them in a wooden nuc box and even one that requires you to bring your own box for transport.

As for full colonies there are a couple beeks I've seen seeking for around $375 for a ten frame box with bottom board, telescoping cover, reducer, and essentially a colony with 2-3 frames they can expand on. No additional deeps or mediums, it's just the one deep box.
GENERAL BEEKEEPING - MAIN POSTING FORUM. / Swarm Trap deadout/abscond
« Last post by Occam on Today at 12:40:05 am »
A few weeks ago I posted in another thread about bees moving in to a swarm trap I had placed at my parents house. All frames were foundationless, the bees were very active for about 3 weeks inspecting before moving in and have been active since. My parents went out of town last Wednesday and the bees had been busy going in and out, all seemed normal.

Today when they looked at it there was no activity at the hive which they alerted me to. I stopped on my way home and sure enough, no bees. I opened the top and could see bees in the bottom of the box. I also found a fair amount of wax moth larvae crawling around. I had brushed melted wax inside on the walls, I assume that was the attractant there.

I found one very small bit of comb being started, only a couple inches. There did appear possibly to have been a bit more started on some starter strips but if so there was only faint crumbles, and the weren't on an adjacent frame to the new wax. There were dead bees in the box but not a full swarm and no queen that I could identify. I suspect a poison situation followed by an abscond when the wax moths got too strong. Any other theories out there? Here are the pictures I took.

Welcome to Honeybees Frank, and welcome to Beemaster! Glad to have you join us.

Phillip
THE 2ND AMENDMENT / current news and sarcasm
« Last post by animal on April 17, 2024, 11:46:48 pm »
9 minute 35 seconds but 9 minute mark is the end, and 2:00 to 3:00 is commercial
put out by AR15. com I'm not really an AR15 fan, but had one for my daughters to shoot when they were 12 .. :tongue:

covers new "rule" for private transfers, (ATF making laws again .. 422 pages of BS to twist one legal term) and a couple of news stories that don't make the news ... for SOME reason?

and mentions the evil metal business card.

The guy is sarcastic and mildly entertaining .. almost positive it's clean, even went back and checked the memes that flash up a little too fast. I don't remember him ever actually saying a bad word .. unlike most of the presenters I really like.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7NNCPxCkzo
GREETINGS/TELL US ABOUT YOURSELF / Re: HOW DID YOU CHOOSE YOUR MEMBER NAME?
« Last post by The15thMember on April 17, 2024, 11:17:11 pm »
Welcome to Beemaster, Frank!  :happy:
« Last post by FLCOOPER1954 on April 17, 2024, 09:26:51 pm »
Franks Pic
« Last post by FLCOOPER1954 on April 17, 2024, 09:23:39 pm »

Hi all, I am Frank Cooper. User name flcooper1954. It is my first initial, middle initial of wife, last name, and year we were born. I have (hopefully) added a pic of my first hive (DEFINITELY A NEWBEE HERE!), and plan to train the grape vines from each side to make a shade top. It will also help "direct the bees flight path" 180 degrees away from my neighbors yard. Thanks for all the great info.

GENERAL BEEKEEPING - MAIN POSTING FORUM. / Re: Lost Four Out of Five
« Last post by FatherMichael on April 17, 2024, 02:25:47 pm »
Years ago I had two cotton farmers in my church, Jim and David.  Jim planted and spent no more money on his crops.  David said. "I apply every horticultural advantage I can to produce the highest possible yield."
This is a perfect example of how "natural" doesn't always work for everyone, depending on your situation and your goals.  The other problem is that everyone definition of "natural" is different, especially in beekeeping.  I would consider myself a natural beekeeper, but I wouldn't fit many people's definition because I inspect my bees, or because I don't have horizontal hives, or because I do sometimes treat.  It's more about finding what works for you than fitting anyone else's arbitrary standards.

I had that exact thought - finding what works for me here.
GENERAL BEEKEEPING - MAIN POSTING FORUM. / Re: Lost Four Out of Five
« Last post by The15thMember on April 17, 2024, 02:12:35 pm »
Years ago I had two cotton farmers in my church, Jim and David.  Jim planted and spent no more money on his crops.  David said. "I apply every horticultural advantage I can to produce the highest possible yield."
This is a perfect example of how "natural" doesn't always work for everyone, depending on your situation and your goals.  The other problem is that everyone definition of "natural" is different, especially in beekeeping.  I would consider myself a natural beekeeper, but I wouldn't fit many people's definition because I inspect my bees, or because I don't have horizontal hives, or because I do sometimes treat.  It's more about finding what works for you than fitting anyone else's arbitrary standards. 
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10
anything