Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Mouse proofing old frames  (Read 1542 times)

Offline yoderski

• House Bee
Mouse proofing old frames
« on: October 20, 2006, 10:15:29 pm »
I know this has probably been covered here, but I didn't realize that mice like to eat stored comb so well.  I had a few frames that were cleaned out of honey that have been in my garage and over the past week the mice have removed most of the wax from them....So I guess besides keeping the wax moth out, moth balls would help to keep mice away?  But I don't want to use moth balls, and I am not sure about the Certan either, but then I guess I shouldn't complain.  Anyway, I will have a little mess to clean up tomorrow, that is for sure....
    Does anyone have any suggestions for the mice?
Jon Y.
Atmore, AL

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2006, 11:00:52 pm »
Use window screen, I am making several screens that I can use as either a propolis gatherer or to keep pests out of the stored comb.  I build 2 frames the same dimensions as the hive body 3/8 thick x 3/4 wide.  I spread the screen betweent the frames and then nail them together--much like an inner top.  I figure I can use them in the off season to kept critters out of the rxtracted combs.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2006, 11:10:29 pm »
Stack your super in an inverted telescopic cover and then place another cover on top of the stack.  If the mice can't get in, they can't destroy the wax.  I've never had a mouse get into my supers this way.  I've had them build nests between the supers and shed wall, but not get into the supers.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

anything