Welcome, Guest

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10
GENERAL BEEKEEPING - MAIN POSTING FORUM. / Re: Swarm Catching
« Last post by beesnweeds on Today at 01:02:15 am »
I for one, fully understand what you are saying beesnweeds to your point and credit.
Thank you.
You are probably right about the drifting part. Naturally his own bees will check out the bait he has planted
After the posts and video, you can see the bees hit the landing board and walk right in thinking it's the correct hive.  Terri should at least give the trap a 180.  I guess Im a bit surprised that no other experienced beekeepers on here see it.
While Remembering the ongoing discussion, anticipation, and excitement of Father Michael a few years back when he was in almost the same spot as Terri. More than one of us tried to give him a heads up, in case they left, (which they did). I also remember the disappointment that he faced when they left the area, and the disappointment we felt for him.
I also understand Father Michaels disappointment, but it's a learning experience and we both know beekeeping has a steep curve.  I try and offer a different solution hoping he can increase his chances with a scion in his yard.
« Last post by Ben Framed on Today at 12:12:46 am »
Terri have you found swarm cells in your hive?
« Last post by Ben Framed on May 18, 2024, 11:49:34 pm »
You are probably right about the drifting part. Naturally his own bees will check out the bait he has planted,  and this has been on-going for Terri for at least 6 weeks. But he still may recover a swarm in this trap box as described in my last post. And it is 'not impossible' that his own bees will not choose it as well. As gww; Ive personally had it happen (though that was not my goal).

I for one, fully understand what you are saying beesnweeds to your point and credit. While Remembering the ongoing discussion, anticipation, and excitement of Father Michael a few years back when he was in almost the same spot as Terri. More than one of us tried to give him a heads up, in case they left, (which they did). I also remember the disappointment that he faced when they left the area, and the disappointment we felt for him.

The bees, more times than not, will leave in my experience. But we never know for sure what they will decide to do.

I also agree with you that it is better to save them the swarming experience by our good beekeeping methods.. (when possible)...

Phillip

« Last post by beesnweeds on May 18, 2024, 11:30:54 pm »
The bees are not investigating the trap, they are drifting to it.  I dont know if it would deter a swarm, maybe?  But in its current location its confusing a new beekeeper and a new hive.  I know it's an unpopular observation on this thread but by the video and Terris posts Im fairly certain it's just his bees drifting.
« Last post by Ben Framed on May 18, 2024, 11:25:23 pm »

No it will not prevent a swarm from entering. Or will it? Lets consider.

Even if Terris' own bees are simply drifting, checking out the swarm box for curiosity alone, does not mean the effort is in vane. As Beemaster2 pointed out in an earlier post, of himself witnessing a swam come 'in' to his apiary from another location, (which were apparently not bees of his apiary). 

Taking that into consideration, even if Terris' own bees do not choose to call the the prepared swarm box home, does not mean bees from another location will not either. Terri may get lucky enough to collect a swarm from a completely different source from somewhere else in his general area, that he may not know about himself? After all, it happened for Jim.....  :grin:
« Last post by The15thMember on May 18, 2024, 11:02:49 pm »
Does it matter if his bees are investigating the trap?  Like, that won't prevent a swarm from choosing it, right?   
GREETINGS/TELL US ABOUT YOURSELF / Re: Hello From Utah
« Last post by The15thMember on May 18, 2024, 10:56:02 pm »
Welcome to Beemaster.
Where is utha. Please add it to your profile.
 Jim Altmiller
I think he just meant "Utah".  :grin:  I fixed it. 
« Last post by Terri Yaki on May 18, 2024, 10:37:22 pm »
Welcome, bmilesmiles. I'd recommend finding a beekeepers club in your area and see if any of them offer beekeeping classes. You'll meet experienced beeks local to you who can help you out.
« Last post by beesnweeds on May 18, 2024, 10:06:30 pm »
Your bees are drifting to the trap.  Move it to another location on your property (preferably further away) with the entrance pointed in a different direction than the hive.
« Last post by BeeMaster2 on May 18, 2024, 09:59:44 pm »
Welcome to Beemaster.
Where is utha. Please add it to your profile.
 Jim Altmiller
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10