Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Swarming from my hive.  (Read 1374 times)

Offline saltybluegrass

• House Bee
  • My Bible is living with bee energy one desire
Swarming from my hive.
« on: April 02, 2020, 12:16:41 pm »
I am very late doing an inspection down here in Florida. Today I?m watching a swarm leave my hive.
Should I inspect now while the swarm is happening or wait and see what they leave me?
It?s a 1 deep 1 shallow ten frame hive. They had been hanging out bearding for 2 weeks but I thought that was due to hot (89f) and dry.
I do not have a swarm box currently.
Oh and hi everyone- sorry I been away. Love to everyone
And I think to myself, what a wonderful world
Then all else falls in line
It?s up to me

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
Re: Swarming from my hive.
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2020, 12:22:44 pm »
I am very late doing an inspection down here in Florida. Today I?m watching a swarm leave my hive.
Should I inspect now while the swarm is happening or wait and see what they leave me?
It?s a 1 deep 1 shallow ten frame hive. They had been hanging out bearding for 2 weeks but I thought that was due to hot (89f) and dry.
I do not have a swarm box currently.
Oh and hi everyone- sorry I been away. Love to everyone

Hello Salty, I have been wondering about you. Glad you're posting. Can you catch them in a paper-board box adding ventilation along with an entrance until you can come across more woodward? It will be a mess but you will still have your bees. Just a thought.

Phillip Hall
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline saltybluegrass

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2020, 12:45:40 pm »
I?ll set out the cardboard box with some lemongrass. Lordy I hope they don?t go to my mean neighbors house!!
Should I inspect or can I inspect the hives while this is going on?
It?s up to me

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2020, 12:49:12 pm »
I think he meant shake them in a cardboard box when they lite. Sure check them right away, as you could avoid after swarms (secondary swarms).... whatever has left, has left at this time so check.
John 3:16

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2020, 12:52:03 pm »
I think he meant shake them in a cardboard box when they lite. Sure check them right away, as you could avoid after swarms (secondary swarms).... whatever has left, has left at this time so check.

Thanks SC that is what I meant.  Also if he does catch them can?t he do a combo with the original hive. Is there a way to do this since he is short of Woodware? Even still he will need more Woodware for room?

Phillip
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline saltybluegrass

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2020, 04:37:44 pm »
I checked them. There is plenty of room in the top. They are barely on 3 of the 10.
We have had no rain in over a month. I would expect to see some honey by now
It?s up to me

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2020, 04:49:35 pm »
I checked them. There is plenty of room in the top. They are barely on 3 of the 10.
We have had no rain in over a month. I would expect to see some honey by now

Is the extra box 3 of 10 foundation or drawn comb? Is it plastic foundation? Some folks do not understand adding foundation if the bees do not have the capability to draw wax does nothing to mange swarm issues. Salt you may understand this but a lot of folks don't  :wink:
John 3:16

anything