Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: New Hive - Noob questions from first inspection  (Read 2989 times)

Offline Crtolbert

• New Bee
New Hive - Noob questions from first inspection
« on: April 01, 2020, 03:15:18 pm »
I installed my first package of bees into a top bar hive on 3/26. On 3/29, I removed the cork from the queen cage. Today, I inspected and couldn't find the queen (most likely my lack of experience). When should I be able to see eggs?

The bees are drawing comb out beautifully and starting to bring pollen in. They weren't loud and unhappy like some I've seen on YouTube when the queen is removed. I just want to be sure she is in there and safe. They are going through a quart of syrup every 2 - 3 days. How long should I feed them? I'm in southeast Georgia and the wild blackberries are just about to start blooming. I'm not sure when the flows are in my area, but I believe there are two per year, one in spring and one around September when the goldenrod blooms.

Thanks in advance.

Chris

Offline JurassicApiary

• House Bee
Re: New Hive - Noob questions from first inspection
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2020, 04:21:31 pm »
Congrats on your first installation and inspection.  I'm also in my first year, so hopefully others with more experience will chime in (I'm sure they will), however in the meantime, from my understanding, it will likely take her a few days once out of the cage to familiarize herself with the hive and fellow bees before she begins laying.  Think of it like walking through your newly purchased home before you decide on how to arrange your belongings within it.  Lots of new comb and pollen coming in from foragers is a good sign that they are taking to the hive well.  Assuming that the successfully mated before she was sent to you, then she should begin laying anytime.  Otherwise, if she didn't successfully mate, she may go on a mating flight anytime now and then begin laying in a week or so.  I would give her a few more days, perhaps a week and then check again.

Online iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2020, 04:46:17 pm »
She should have eggs 7 days after install. Give or take a day or two. I would check them tomorrow or Friday.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline van from Arkansas

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2020, 07:09:55 pm »
Congrats on your first installation and inspection.  I'm also in my first year, so hopefully others with more experience will chime in (I'm sure they will), however in the meantime, from my understanding, it will likely take her a few days once out of the cage to familiarize herself with the hive and fellow bees before she begins laying.  Think of it like walking through your newly purchased home before you decide on how to arrange your belongings within it.  Lots of new comb and pollen coming in from foragers is a good sign that they are taking to the hive well.  Assuming that the successfully mated before she was sent to you, then she should begin laying anytime.  Otherwise, if she didn't successfully mate, she may go on a mating flight anytime now and then begin laying in a week or so.  I would give her a few more days, perhaps a week and then check again.

For a newbie, you answered very well, in fact excellent.

I will add one lil bit of info.  Eggs are very difficult to see, you need the sun to your back and shining in the bottom of the cell.  The eggs hatch in three days.  One day old larva, 4 total days from laid egg are much easier to see.

So as suggested, give the hive time.  I inspect a package of bees one week after installation and I provide food frame and brood.  IF I did not have a frame of food and brood to offer package bees, then I would offer some sugar syrup, carefully to avoid robbing.

I have been around bees a long time, since birth.  I am a hobbyist so my answers often reflect this fact.  I concentrate on genetics, raise my own queens by wet graft, nicot, with natural or II breeding.  I do not sell queens, I will give queens  for free but no shipping.

Offline JurassicApiary

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2020, 05:03:41 am »
For a newbie, you answered very well, in fact excellent.

Thank you, Van.   :grin:

Offline Crtolbert

• New Bee
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2020, 09:52:40 am »
Thank you all for the replies. You have eased my worry. I plan on checking again on Friday, as I'll need to replenish the syrup anyway. I was surprised at how much comb they have built in a week's time.

I plan on feeding for another week and then seeing where we're at.

Chris

Offline FloridaGardener

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2020, 11:09:31 am »
Welcome!
I love TBH, personally  I think it's so much easier for beginners. The bees don't go into the air as much, and they're disturbed less during inspections.

You probably already know this, however, make sure your TBH is level and plumb. For now, just use a thin shim under it, if needed.  The bees won't mind, they're used to trees moving a little.

On the first inspection make sure those combs are right on the guide and the rest will be. I know it seems a crime to harm that beautiful comb to straighten it out, but you will be glad you did.
Once it gets used for brood a few times it gets rubbery and can't  be changed without a frame and rubber bands. The coolest part is seeing how they put cells on the bottom edge...total economy of space and resources.

« Last Edit: April 02, 2020, 04:29:42 pm by FloridaGardener »

Offline Crtolbert

• New Bee
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2020, 12:39:17 pm »
Thank you, FloridaGardener!

I did break out the level and some shims when I set the hive up so thankfully they are already building straight comb! What a relief. Now I just hope they don't attach it to the sides.

One thing I noticed is that they haven't really propolized the hive yet. Is this normal?

Offline JurassicApiary

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2020, 01:30:53 pm »
Perfectly normal.  Right now they're focused on brood and food.  They'll propalize any urgent/bothersome issues quickly.  Otherwise, as a newly installed package, they're trying to focus efforts on strengthen their numbers, which involves drawing out comb and foraging.  Looking forward to hearing your inspection results tomorrow.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2020, 04:45:00 pm by JurassicApiary »

Offline Crtolbert

• New Bee
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2020, 03:28:42 pm »
Thanks, JurassicApiary! I will definitely keep you posted.

Offline Crtolbert

• New Bee
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2020, 03:02:38 pm »
Well, I inspected the hive today. They are drawing out comb and gathering pollen. I still couldn't find the queen but I know she's in there. Bees a quiet and calm, just working. Syrup was empty so I'll start checking and replacing the feeder every two days even though I won't do a full inspection.

The largest piece of the comb (bar 2) has started curving a bit toward bar 1. Not so far at to be cross-combed but I did have to somewhat break the two bars apart. I'm not sure if this is something to be concerned about or what to do about it if it is, but I don't really want to do a full inspection every two days. That can't be good for the bees. What do you guys and gals think?

Chris

Offline guitarstitch

• House Bee
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2020, 03:19:31 pm »
Were you able to find eggs?

One tip I learned at Beefest: carry a small LED flashlight that you can shine into the cells when the sunlight isn't optimal for viewing.
-Matthew Pence/Stitch

Offline Crtolbert

• New Bee
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2020, 03:29:25 pm »
I didn't see any eggs. I'll take a light with me next time. It is very sunny today and the hive is in direct sunlight this time of day. All I saw in the cells is what I suspect is pollen because it's a darker yellow, and what I've observed on their legs is a light yellow. I'm a little hesitant to bump the bees off the comb so I can get a good look until I can observe the queen because I don't what to bump her off.

Offline guitarstitch

• House Bee
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2020, 03:38:01 pm »
You don't have to bump the bees off, just gently brush your finger through a patch of bees in an area you want to inspect.  :)
-Matthew Pence/Stitch

Offline Crtolbert

• New Bee
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2020, 04:03:32 pm »
I'll try that next inspection! Thank you!

Offline van from Arkansas

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2020, 05:34:44 pm »
Also, gently blow on the bees on the frame, they will move.  Use a face veil of course.
I have been around bees a long time, since birth.  I am a hobbyist so my answers often reflect this fact.  I concentrate on genetics, raise my own queens by wet graft, nicot, with natural or II breeding.  I do not sell queens, I will give queens  for free but no shipping.

Offline FatherMichael

• House Bee
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2020, 07:41:51 pm »
If the bees are calm and working then I'd not worry.

Keep feeding them, a quick in and out.
41 And while they yet believed not for joy, and wondered, he said unto them, Have ye here any meat?

42 And they gave him a piece of a broiled fish, and of an honeycomb.

43 And he took it, and did eat before them.

Offline Crtolbert

• New Bee
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2020, 10:46:12 pm »
I did an inspection this afternoon and finally spotted my queen and larvae being capped. I've tried posting pictures, but to no avail.

So here are some questions this inspection generated:

They are burning through a quart of syrup per day. When do I quit feeding them?

They are also starting to attach comb to the sides of the hive. It's a Kenyan style hive with angled sides, which is supposed to prevent this. Is there anything I can do to stop them or do I just need to plan on having to deal with this every time?

How often should I inspect them considering it is a top bar hive? I could go in everyday because the bees are so fascinating, but I know this isn't good for them. I also know I need to go in more often than if it were a langstroth to catch any cross-comb issues before they get too bad.

I'm sure I'll have more, but I appreciate any feedback. Also, I've made sure the pictures are less than 200kb each and they are .jpeg format. When I click insert attachment it puts in the attachment tags, but when I preview it says "Invalid Attachment". Any advice?

Thank you all. This beekeeping is more fun than I ever imagined it would be.

Chris

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2020, 11:01:01 pm »
Also, I've made sure the pictures are less than 200kb each and they are .jpeg format. When I click insert attachment it puts in the attachment tags, but when I preview it says "Invalid Attachment". Any advice?
Just ignore it.  The preview always says that, but the pictures post fine.  See, here's a picture of a cute little drone.   :grin:
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline Crtolbert

• New Bee
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2020, 11:13:55 pm »
Haha! Thanks 15thMember. I see the pics did post after all. The first is a shot of her Majesty, the Queen. The second is where a comb is starting to curve in toward the bar in front of it. I'm not sure how to fix it or even if I should.

anything