Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Found my first mites :(  (Read 2392 times)

Offline Mamm7215

• House Bee
Found my first mites :(
« on: July 02, 2019, 02:38:45 pm »
3rd inspection on Saturday.  Good news is I'm getting better at recognizing and finding things.  Found 1 empty queen cup but noticed 2 mites on my bottom sticky board.  Granted, I hadn't checked in 4-5 days so it would seem to indicate a fairly small load but I'll be keeping a close eye on it.  I put a clean board in yesterday so I'll check every 24 hrs for 3 days to see what else shows up.  I'm thinking of using Formic Pro as a formic option.  I also have OA and a vaporizer but don't want to take my honey super off so will likely do the formic if mite count increases.  I've been pretty lucky to have a good laying queen and a strong hive and want to keep on top of it, for now though I'll just be monitoring. 

Online BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Found my first mites :(
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2019, 04:07:00 pm »
2 mites in 4 days is not much. Much below the threshold for treating.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline CoolBees

• Queen Bee
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2019, 04:15:22 pm »
2 mites in 4 days is not much. Much below the threshold for treating.
Jim Altmiller

I concur with that. I'd be happy to have mite levels that low.  :grin:
You cannot permanently help men by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves - Abraham Lincoln

Offline Mamm7215

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2019, 12:39:27 pm »
Found another 2 last night on a 24hr check.  Both mites were dead.  The first 2 I saw were still crawling and the first 2 were on the sticky board.  These 2 dead ones were just on a plain old replacement bottom I put in as the 1st board had some mold on it so I threw it out.  I'll continue to do daily checks.

Online BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2019, 04:45:51 pm »
There is a good chance that they were mites that were removed by bees from brood. What color were they they? The lighter they are the younger they are.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Mamm7215

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2019, 04:48:36 pm »
They were all quite pale, definitely not the purple I commonly see in pictures.

Online BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2019, 04:55:10 pm »
Sounds like young mites that were not ready yet.
Adults are bronze colored.
Jim Altmiller
Ben Franklin

Offline Mamm7215

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2019, 06:21:40 pm »
Well they were like a pale beige, maybe a light bronze, but not dark at all.

Offline Mamm7215

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2019, 01:45:14 am »
4 mites tonight, 3 dead.  1 was a darker bronze, other 3 were the pale almost translucent tan.  Living one was pale.  One positive tonight, I successfully tested my homemade OAV vaporizer.  I got a 120v to 12v power supply off amazon.  I had built the unit originally with a car battery in mind but this seemed easier to use at the house.  I can disconnect the wires to use remotely with a battery if needed.  Power supply puts out 30 amps.  Works good so far.  https://www.amazon.ca/gp/aw/d/B06XJVYDDW?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title
Glow plug I'm using is this one: https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B000C9N54C/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

« Last Edit: July 04, 2019, 12:34:52 pm by Mamm7215 »

anything