Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: OA Vaporizers other than 'wand' type  (Read 3233 times)

Offline Aroc

• House Bee
OA Vaporizers other than 'wand' type
« on: February 15, 2017, 04:37:08 pm »
I currently have a wand vaporizer.  I like it.  It works okay but recently I've noticed home made vaporizers that work a bit differently.  They blow the vapor onto the hive.  They seem to me to be quicker and less invasive than the wand type.

I don't really have the ability to make one unless the instructions were simple and easy to understand.  I do wood not electronics....

At any rate just wondering if anyone has found a decent one being sold on line? 
You are what you think.

Offline rookie2531

• Field Bee
Re: OA Vaporizers other than 'wand' type
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2017, 08:41:18 pm »
Are you speaking of the heat gun style?
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1VKdGVFOaI
Check my video out.

Offline Aroc

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2017, 09:24:56 pm »
Yeah I think so
You are what you think.

Offline fatshark

• New Bee
    • The Apiarist
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2017, 04:37:11 am »
There's also the Sublimox. This is smaller and neater than the heat gun model shown above. OA is dropped into an appropriately heated sealed chamber with a small nozzle. The sublimation forces the OA vapour out of the nozzle. All you need is a 7mm hole through the base of the floor. Pressure is sufficient to get fully spread within the hive within about 25 seconds.

Here's a post with a linked video showing the vapour 'jet' generated : http://theapiarist.org/sublimox/
and another with a video of the Sublimox in use : http://theapiarist.org/late-arrivals/

---
The Apiarist : Beekeeping in Fife, Scotland
Rational Varroa control, science and DIY for beekeepers

Offline Aroc

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2017, 11:07:40 am »
That's more what I'm looking for but that particular one is a European device.  I was able to find a website but.......

I would like to find one that is a little closer to home and easier to obtain.
You are what you think.

Offline Philbee100

• New Bee
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2017, 02:44:10 am »
I currently have a wand vaporizer.  I like it.  It works okay but recently I've noticed home made vaporizers that work a bit differently.  They blow the vapor onto the hive.  They seem to me to be quicker and less invasive than the wand type.

I don't really have the ability to make one unless the instructions were simple and easy to understand.  I do wood not electronics....

At any rate just wondering if anyone has found a decent one being sold on line?
Take care with the OA vapor it can affect your kidney function.
Investigate what is going on with OA and glycerine, this is a much simpler and safer way of administering OA