Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: flow hives  (Read 5701 times)

Offline Skeggley

• House Bee
Re: flow hives
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2020, 08:20:43 pm »
Hi mate, I?ve been using them since they first came out. Unlike others I have never had an issue with them, both originals and the MKII. Geez I hope they?re not some famous last words... How long do they last? Who knows although mine show no signs of deteriorating.
For the bees to move the stores down they will need space in the lower box/s so the brood nest needs to be contracting and as we are still having sunny days, albeit a bit cold, they don?t seem to be in a hurry.
As you probably know I left mine on last winter and all was fine just some mould issues which I?d like to avoid this winter.
And I give up, which Hillbilly are you anyway. :p
Perhaps we should start a Perth WA thread. ;)

Offline Hillbilly

• New Bee
Re: flow hives
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2020, 10:00:31 pm »
Have issues with both Mk1 and 2. Frames seem so be the same though. To their credit Flow replaced a lot of stuff for me, but still. Now I have frames that are in the closed position but the bottom sump keeps filling with honey. I twist the cap so the bees can lap it up as they advised me, but still full of honey.

Against conventional wisdom, I leave mine slightly ventilated even in winter to minimise condensation and mould. Seems to work well. If I'm doing any harm, I'm too clueless to realise it.

Which hillbilly am I? Huh? Aren't we all hillbillies here mate? :)