Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Bee Disease  (Read 2873 times)

Offline Butteredloins

• House Bee
Bee Disease
« on: January 30, 2019, 04:52:48 pm »
Hi all
So I did a bee inspection and noticed that some of the brood cells had the cap off it and a under developed brood bee in there. I can't think of any disease it could be that I studied. Normally when the bee hatches it has already turned from white to dark brown/ black and chews its way out of the capping. These particular brood have no capping on them and the bee although it looks quite developed and I can see all its features. It just doesn't look right. I know it's not AFB, efb, sakbrood, chalkbrood.
Is it normal for the bees to look this way? Do they eventually get there colour and just walk out the cell? Why do the other bees chew there way out. Could it be just bad eggs that never fully get to the final stage?

Thanks

Offline CoolBees

• Queen Bee
Re: Bee Disease
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2019, 05:01:43 pm »
Is there a chance that the cappings got scraped off as the frame was lifted out? ... just a thought. I'm trying to think "Positive" ...

Alan
You cannot permanently help men by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves - Abraham Lincoln

Offline Butteredloins

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2019, 08:07:49 pm »
I don't think so, but possibly actually. They tend to be clumped together not at random areas so maybe, but it looks to clean around them and you would think that the cappings on some would be only partially damaged.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2019, 08:53:57 pm »
It is possible the bees are detecting mites in the capped cells and opening them to bee able to remove the pupae.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Butteredloins

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2019, 09:02:45 pm »
We don't have varroa in aus. Maybe the smaller mite but that's super rare and never heard of. Can I see them visually?

Offline eltalia

• Queen Bee
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2019, 09:12:17 pm »
@butteredloins

What numbers are we talking here?
A few on each frame, lots on one frame?
Or more than 5% of cells?

A macro image of one example along with a landscape
view of the frame the macro came from may help
diagnostics.

Cheers.

Bill.

Offline Butteredloins

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2019, 10:25:50 pm »
I will check them this weekend and try take a photo. I would say about 6 uncapped cells on about 2-3 frames. So not ally, but I've never seen it before.

Offline queenman

• New Bee
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2019, 12:42:12 am »
Look up Bald Brood.