Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Beefest 2018  (Read 50545 times)

Offline yes2matt

• Field Bee
  • Urban setting, no acaricides
    • Love Me Some Honey
Re: Beefest 2018
« Reply #180 on: April 08, 2018, 02:10:17 pm »
I brought another jar of honey that wasn't creamed but has a hint of fermentation.  I eat this regularly.  However, I left the jar in Myrtle Beach at my brothers house.  I don't know if I will have any left by next year for a taste test.  Maybe everyone could bring a sample of their honey to Beefest 2018 and pass it around.
We have given our employer notice that we are moving to FL by Nov. this year.  That means I have to get rid of my bees so I am unsure if I will have a new crop of honey to bring to FL.
Another dilemma is how to get 20 gals of mead down to FL.  Anyone know what the law is for transporting mead?
Oooh a honey taste panel/contest. Great idea.

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #181 on: April 08, 2018, 02:33:28 pm »
I brought another jar of honey that wasn't creamed but has a hint of fermentation.  I eat this regularly.  However, I left the jar in Myrtle Beach at my brothers house.  I don't know if I will have any left by next year for a taste test.  Maybe everyone could bring a sample of their honey to Beefest 2019 and pass it around.
We have given our employer notice that we are moving to FL by Nov. this year.  That means I have to get rid of my bees so I am unsure if I will have a new crop of honey to bring to FL.
Another dilemma is how to get 20 gals of mead down to FL.  Anyone know what the law is for transporting mead?
Oooh a honey taste panel/contest. Great idea.

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk

But it will bee Black Jar Honey. All about taste.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #182 on: April 08, 2018, 02:35:46 pm »
I brought another jar of honey that wasn't creamed but has a hint of fermentation.  I eat this regularly.  However, I left the jar in Myrtle Beach at my brothers house.  I don't know if I will have any left by next year for a taste test.  Maybe everyone could bring a sample of their honey to Beefest 2018 and pass it around.
Brian,
Why aren?t you going to bring your bees? Just have them inspected before you transport.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Dallasbeek

• Super Bee
« Reply #183 on: April 08, 2018, 02:47:26 pm »
Or not and tell the nice officer they are comfort support animals.   If some bozo can try to take a peacock on an airliner as a support animal, almost anything is believable.
"Liberty lives in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no laws, no court can save it." - Judge Learned Hand, 1944

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #184 on: April 08, 2018, 02:54:43 pm »
Dallas,
 :happy:
Most officers are not going to stop a small load of bees but it is not that hard to call your inspector and have the proper paperwork to go from NY to FL.
My late Father in law just had it done last year to send 2 hives from PA to SC. He had no problems at all. As a mater of fact, they even went so far as to say he was mite and beetle free. He does not use chemicals.
Jim
Ben Franklin

Offline jtcmedic

• Field Bee
    • Sweetest sting honey
« Reply #185 on: April 08, 2018, 04:55:43 pm »
I have a friend that moves his bed from pa to dadecity  fl  regularly. Ace where ya moving to in fl.
I have already planning on 2019 beefest.

Offline tycrnp

• House Bee
« Reply #186 on: April 08, 2018, 11:05:17 pm »
Or not and tell the nice officer they are comfort support animals.   If some bozo can try to take a peacock on an airliner as a support animal, almost anything is believable.

:shocked:  LOL!!!!!

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #187 on: April 09, 2018, 09:59:32 am »
Brian,
Why aren?t you going to bring your bees?

Over 1400 miles and the days of driving 24 hours straight are long gone.  I could be wrong but I believe transplanting bees from Upstate to West Palm Beach is too far for them to survive.  Not acclimated.  No different than buying bees form GA and expecting them to make it up here.  And finally there is the place we bought.  No way in heck the HOA is going to allow bees.
Once we get down there the wife wants a permanent home with more land and no restrictions.
I was thinking if a gallon or so of mead fell off the truck near Jacksonville on our way down you would be up to selling me some bees to get started again.
After I do my splits I will put out the word to sell them all off.  The less we have to bring the better.
FYI My wife has run the largest storage facility in Upstate NY for about 30 years.  She has seen hundreds and hundreds of people store their house hold and move 1500 miles away.  Then in a couple three years they realize the cost of moving their stuff is more then what their stuff is worth. And they already paid more in rent then what their stuff is worth.  So we are selling everything.  40 years of collecting vintage, antiques, do dads and furniture.  I have got the problem of figuring out what tools to bring.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #188 on: April 09, 2018, 10:29:36 am »
Keep in mind, you have a stopover place about halfway, if the need ""or desire"" to use it arises.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #189 on: April 09, 2018, 01:53:07 pm »
I appreciate that Wally.  I got to stop by and drop off those wheel weights anyway.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #190 on: April 10, 2018, 11:18:07 am »
>Most officers are not going to stop a small load of bees but it is not that hard to call your inspector and have the proper paperwork to go from NY to FL.

As long as you don't drive through Alabama...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #191 on: April 10, 2018, 11:21:47 am »
Good to know.
Jim
Ben Franklin

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #192 on: April 10, 2018, 02:46:35 pm »
call your inspector and have the proper paperwork to go from NY to FL.

Good luck with that, NY has one inspector who focuses on the 60 commercial operations in the state.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

anything