Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: American Foulbrood Sniffing dogs  (Read 3544 times)

Offline Knisely

• New Bee
American Foulbrood Sniffing dogs
« on: July 04, 2018, 11:50:36 am »
In Maryland, a state employee is training dogs to inspect hives for harmful bacteria ? a crucial job as honeybees are sent around the country to pollinate crops.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/03/dining/dogs-bees-colonies-sniff-bacteria.html

Online BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Re: American Foulbrood Sniffing dogs
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2018, 09:08:11 am »
I don?t know why they need a dog. Most bee inspectors that I talk to can walk through an apiary and smell hives that have AFB.
The only advantage I would see is the dogs would be able to smell it much earlier than a human could.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Stephanie30

• Brood
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2021, 05:04:52 am »
Well, it's good news, isn't it? I mean with all that information that we heard lately about bees disappearing dogs can help to save them, right?  :rolleyes: I'm sorry if my question is dumb! It's just the beekeeping is something new for me. The thing is that my father-in-law owns this business and because I've got fired during the pandemic he wants me to join him until I'll get a new job. So, I'm just browsing beekeeping forums to learn as much as possible. I'm a vet doctor btw and I know much more about pets than bees  :cheesy: I even have a blog about dog's health as a hobby so I hope to combine it with beekeeping.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2021, 08:19:08 am by Stephanie30 »

Online BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2021, 05:18:49 pm »
Stephanie,
Welcome to Beemaster.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline TheHoneyPump

• Queen Bee
  • Work Hard. Play Harder.
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2021, 07:55:56 pm »
AFB is old old old news.  So much so that while it is still around, AFB certainly is not any threat to the bee populations in present day. It would be like saying that chicken pox or measles or polio are of great concern in the population. AFB is out there but is virtually non-existent in terms of the level of concern to beekeepers.

It is nice to know about AFB but it is certainly not why bees are disappearing. Disease vectoring parasites like the varroa destructor mite, and viral infections like IAPV or KBV are the primary reasons bees are disappearing.

Interesting about sniffer dogs. Just adopted a new pup here and perhaps he can be trained.  Though I really wonder how well they can tell the difference between some foul brood (EFB/AFB) and a heavy nectar flow from dandelions or sunflowers or goldenrod.  Those honeys stink to hll and are much much more foul to my nostrils.
When the lid goes back on, the bees will spend the next 3 days undoing most of what the beekeeper just did to them.

Offline Beelab

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2021, 08:32:28 pm »
Yes, it is old news. I assume bees die from varroa and related diseases before AFB can even develop in most parts of the world.
AFB can extinguish entire apiaries here in Australia, if not detected early.
We had a lot of AFB in my local area in recent years.

Wouldn?t wanna swap it for varroa though. I never lost even one colony over winter.

Could varroa pretty much have eradicated AFB in other countries, due to constant renewal of colonies?

My dog is of sniffer dog lineage, just don?t know how to train him. He never goes near the hives and takes off when he hears buzzing. He is black and stuck his nose into a hive entrance as a pup. Just once.

HP, I want to take the opportunity to say how much I appreciate your postings. A wealth of experience and wisdom.

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2021, 08:45:26 pm »
Interesting about sniffer dogs. Just adopted a new pup here and perhaps he can be trained.  Though I really wonder how well they can tell the difference between some foul brood (EFB/AFB) and a heavy nectar flow from dandelions or sunflowers or goldenrod.  Those honeys stink to hll and are much much more foul to my nostrils.
Based on the fact that a mantrailing dog can smell the difference between people, even find someone in a large crowd, or identify where they were sitting after they are gone, I bet a dog could smell the difference between foul brood and foul honey.     
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline rast

• Field Bee
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2021, 09:47:06 pm »
 I would assume if they can smell cocaine in all the ways it is hidden they could detect AFB. The OP was posting in 2018 so we should have heard by now I would think.
Fools argue; wise men discuss.
    --Paramahansa Yogananda