Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Unsure What's Going On In This Hive  (Read 16352 times)

Offline TheHoneyPump

• Queen Bee
  • Work Hard. Play Harder.
Re: Unsure What's Going On In This Hive
« Reply #60 on: October 16, 2018, 05:01:26 pm »
Just do not take your time about it. A couple of mite bombs just went off in your apiary over the past week.  You have just 3 days or less to get treatment(s) in hand and applied into the other nearby hives.  Mite cycle is 6 to 7 days or less. Really would be saddened to see you back here in a week or less reporting another hive just crashed.  Do not muck around dawdling on what to do nor muck about with mites.  At this stage, they require a heavy determined hand.  Leave the soft white fuzzy gloves in the house.  You may take that comment as too forceful, however you will soon realize it is not.
When the lid goes back on, the bees will spend the next 3 days undoing most of what the beekeeper just did to them.

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #61 on: October 16, 2018, 05:18:37 pm »
Just do not take your time about it. A couple of mite bombs just went off in your apiary over the past week.  You have just 3 days or less to get treatment(s) in hand and applied into the other nearby hives.  Mite cycle is 6 to 7 days or less. Really would be saddened to see you back here in a week or less reporting another hive just crashed.  Do not muck around dawdling on what to do nor muck about with mites.  At this stage, they require a heavy determined hand.  Leave the soft white fuzzy gloves in the house.  You may take that comment as too forceful, however you will soon realize it is not.
I don't take that comment too forcefully, and I thank you for being straight with me.  I do realize that I am in a precarious situation here, and rest assured, I am committed to rectifying it, and speedily at that.  All I meant was that I'm not going to panic and just rush out to the nearest farm store and by the first thing off the shelf and then regret that later as well.  I just want to make sure I know what I'm getting into with the treatment that I'm choosing and the hazards that it also presents and make sure I make the best decision I can given the situation I am now in.     
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline blackforest beekeeper

• Field Bee
« Reply #62 on: October 16, 2018, 07:05:51 pm »
If night was not to cold and brood not overloaded with mites you can give brood to other hives. The honey can be given to other hives if you think they need it or save to give in early spring after freezing  to kill any pest eggs. You also could keep for yourself and feed them syrup when they need it. I would guess goldenrod is blooming there now. If honey looks dark it could be goldenrod honey and many people do not care for it.

if I found a hive dead of mites (which it sounds like if it was around my place) it will have had a lot of viruses, too. Anything from a dead hive or one that was failing and killed would see my melter.

• Field Bee
« Reply #63 on: October 16, 2018, 07:23:20 pm »
I don't take that comment too forcefully, and I thank you for being straight with me.  I do realize that I am in a precarious situation here, and rest assured, I am committed to rectifying it, and speedily at that.  All I meant was that I'm not going to panic and just rush out to the nearest farm store and by the first thing off the shelf and then regret that later as well.  I just want to make sure I know what I'm getting into with the treatment that I'm choosing and the hazards that it also presents and make sure I make the best decision I can given the situation I am now in.   

Don`t mess around. Don`t be idealistic. Your bees life is at stake. Be idealistic when Your bees can afford it. It may already be too late.

In my first year all my hives died of varroa, too. I did what my friend told me to do but it just wasnt enough in my micro-climate. Also, I didn?t read up on the matter...
Today I checked 80 hives after not seeing them for 3 weeks. on 90% the mite-count was around zero, although they are unusually breeding high time still. I can be idealistic with my treatments. I am.
You will get there.

You just might be idealistic, IF Your cilmate still allows for some weeks of breeding and foraging. Take out all the brood , do an OAV, catch the remaining mites in a brood comb with open brood being capped soon. Melt that when mostly capped, do another OAV with brood minimum three days from being capped, no more.

I don?t know about hard treatments as HP suggested. Being idealistic takes feeling the pulse of the mites coninously.
So maybe: Do as THP says. And keep up the joy with the bees.

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #64 on: October 16, 2018, 07:50:48 pm »
You just might be idealistic, IF Your cilmate still allows for some weeks of breeding and foraging. Take out all the brood , do an OAV, catch the remaining mites in a brood comb with open brood being capped soon. Melt that when mostly capped, do another OAV with brood minimum three days from being capped, no more.
I know that a lot of people use vaporizers without incident, but I'm concerned about the safety hazards that they present, the fire risk, and the breathing in the vapors and such.  I'll go there if I've got to, but for this sort of one time thing, I can't spend the money on that equipment either, since I'd really rather not use it in the future. 

In spite of the farm store anecdote I just used, since speed is an issue, I am essentially limited to what the farm stores around here have.  I'm pretty sure the one place around here carries Mite Away Quick Strips, and I'm sort of inclined to go with that.   

I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #65 on: October 16, 2018, 08:08:18 pm »
This has been very educational. Mr. Honeypump, again Sir I thank you for the education. Now I know, more in-depth, what to look for with the mites.  Thanks to all who replied to members topic. Each and every reply was rich with education and worked together for the good!  Including the replies that was given with good intentions, but not perhaps, the best advise. This is how we (ALL) learn!! 
Thank you all again.
Sincerely, Phillip Hall "Ben Framed"
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

• Field Bee
« Reply #66 on: October 16, 2018, 08:24:08 pm »
I know that a lot of people use vaporizers without incident, but I'm concerned about the safety hazards that they present, the fire risk, and the breathing in the vapors and such.  I'll go there if I've got to, but for this sort of one time thing, I can't spend the money on that equipment either, since I'd really rather not use it in the future. 

In spite of the farm store anecdote I just used, since speed is an issue, I am essentially limited to what the farm stores around here have.  I'm pretty sure the one place around here carries Mite Away Quick Strips, and I'm sort of inclined to go with that.   

OAV can be very cheap: http://www.imker-hechingen.de/Dokumente/Aktuelles_Imkertipps/OS%20verdampfen%20mit%20Teelicht.pdf
also, instead of OAV, you might use formic acid on a sponge cloth to achieve the same. Just harder.
but go for the hard and secure way. hit the mites and the bees hard. because: the sick bees will only be a burden on the sound ones and they will not make it to spring-build-up anyway. So best to clean the hive of them now.
Don`t look at the single bee. Look at the hive. or not even that. Look at the "population" in your area, in your yard.

Offline beepro

• Field Bee
« Reply #67 on: October 16, 2018, 10:19:00 pm »
After 5 seasons of beekeeping, I'm still being stubborn toward any chemical treatment.  I will
wait until early Spring to give them another round of early IPM cap brood removal.  This should remove any
remaining mite from the clean hives.   The infected hive (C) I will make new early Spring queens from it.  This will give it an early
brood break.   After the mites are gone I will give the queen less hive a mated Spring queen.   I already have a plan on hitting the
mites early next season while continuing my hives expansion.

Offline TheHoneyPump

• Queen Bee
« Reply #68 on: October 17, 2018, 02:11:04 am »
A couple of article pictures of mites that my be enlightening to connect with the what you saw today in the cells of the combs and on the pupae.  Note the second picture gives explanation to the mite poop deposits on the abdomens of the pupae that were stuck to the tines on the cappings scratcher.
When the lid goes back on, the bees will spend the next 3 days undoing most of what the beekeeper just did to them.

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #69 on: October 17, 2018, 05:09:28 pm »
A couple of article pictures of mites that my be enlightening to connect with the what you saw today in the cells of the combs and on the pupae.  Note the second picture gives explanation to the mite poop deposits on the abdomens of the pupae that were stuck to the tines on the cappings scratcher.
Wow, great pictures!  That top one shows exactly what I was seeing, the lighter colored young females and the differently shaped males.

I went to my CO-OP store today and got the MAQS, so I?ll be applying that tomorrow. The instructions say that the hive?s entrance should be fully open with no entrance reducer in place so there is adequate ventilation. I have a robbing screen on this hive right now. Obviously there is a full entrance behind the screen, so can I leave the robbing screen on?  Or is the screen considered an entrance reducer and should I take it off for the treatment? 

Van, Arkansas, USA

« Reply #70 on: October 17, 2018, 06:52:27 pm »
HP, those pics of the mites are the best display of Varroa I have ever directed my eyes upon.  Also the infertile mite pic is just as impressive as educational.

There are honeybees that uncap and remove fertile mites, but the same bees do not uncap nor remove the infertile mites.  The photo you posted MAY explain why: infertile mites poop on the bottom of the cell. 
Blessings 

Van, Arkansas, USA

« Reply #71 on: October 17, 2018, 08:53:20 pm »

Close up of the mouth of a Varroa mite.  The red daggers are the killing machinery of the mite.  In the photo the daggers apparently got crossed, in reality the daggers hang straight down similar to a snakes fangs.  The daggers are to small to be seen with the unaided eye.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2018, 11:18:55 am by Van, Arkansas, USA »

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #72 on: October 17, 2018, 10:31:16 pm »
Close up of the mouth of a Varroa mite.  The red daggers are the killing machinery of the mite.  In the photo the daggers apparently got crossed, in reality the daggers hand straight down similar to a snakes fangs.  The daggers are to small to be seen with the unaided eye.

Woah!  Awesome!  Well, and not awesome I guess.  :embarassed:  Awesome image, but not awesome for bees. Is that picture from a scanning electron microscope?

Van, Arkansas, USA

« Reply #73 on: October 17, 2018, 11:13:36 pm »
Member, Correct, scanning, not transmission.

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #74 on: October 18, 2018, 08:03:20 pm »
Alright, so I put the MAQS on today.  It went well, it was really easy to use.  I'll update you guys on how the hive looks in a week, or earlier if I notice anything noteworthy.  I just want to thank all of you who helped me out with this problem.  I would never have been able to figure this out without you guys.  Thank you all so much!   :smile:

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #75 on: October 25, 2018, 07:28:40 pm »
So today was the first inspection post the MAQS treatment.  The hive looks good.  It was pretty chilly here today, about 50oF, so the girls were pretty clustered in the bottom box, but it was a full box of bees.  They are more than great in honey stores, with about 10 capped or almost capped frames, not including 6 frames from the deadout that I could give them.  They had 2 frames with a sizeable amount of pollen and I also gave them two more from the other hive (that had been previously frozen of course).  Not a whole lot of brood, about 3-ish frames had a centrally located patch about the size of . . . I don't know what to equate it to.  Is a loaf of sourdough bread universally sized?  Because that's how I would describe it.   :tongue:  About half of the brood was eggs, good laying pattern, and I did see the queen as well, so she is good.  (I was worried I wouldn't be able to find her because the frames were packed with bees, but my sister spotted her.)  The rest of the brood nest, about 1 1/2 frames, was sparse capped brood and some was being backfilled with honey.  Some of the pupa were being pulled and I was initially concerned that the majority of the capped brood wasn't making it full term, but the next frame I pulled was full of new silvery bees that had just hatched, so a good portion of the capped brood survived the mites and the treatment.  There were no larva, except for the eggs that had just hatched, but based on the MAQS booklet that was to be expected.  Whoever it was that mentioned that the hairless bees I was seeing were sick or overgroomed due to the mites (I think it was TheHoneyPump), you were right, because there were no shiny bees in the hive today.  Since it's been cold overnight here, there was still some juice left in the MAQS strips.  Do you guys think I should leave them in, or should I take them out now?   

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #76 on: October 25, 2018, 09:22:20 pm »

The photo of me is like 1/2 million years old, I wanted to show off my bull elk kill.

Nice Bull elk Mr Van!!
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #77 on: October 25, 2018, 09:39:38 pm »
Van,
That is a really nice bull.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline TheHoneyPump

• Queen Bee
Unsure What's Going On In This Hive
« Reply #78 on: October 25, 2018, 10:03:14 pm »
That is GREAT news 15thmember! Sounds like a really positive outcome. Leave the MAQS in for another week then toss them or even use them in your hive smoker.

Does the hive have a slide out bottom board to view amount of mite drop since putting in the strips?  Just wondering if you have noticed any more, less, or same mite on the board from now to the pre-treatment.

So glad to hear the second hive is looking to be in good condition.

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #79 on: October 25, 2018, 10:09:32 pm »
That is GREAT news 15thmember! Sounds like a really positive outcome. Leave the MAQS in for another week then toss them or even use them in your hive smoker.

Does the hive have a slide out bottom board to view amount of mite drop since putting in the strips?  Just wondering if you have noticed any more, less, or same mite on the board from now to the pre-treatment.

So glad to hear the second hive is looking to be in good condition.
Oh duh, sorry, I forgot to mention the bottom board drop. The count was 335, which is MUCH higher than I?ve seen in this hive all year. 

anything