Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Bee Swarm  (Read 1388 times)

Offline bwallace23350

• Super Bee
Bee Swarm
« on: July 18, 2017, 05:33:10 pm »
I have not actually  ever seen a true swarm. I saw a mass of bees moving wildly about and moving as a group backwards and forwards. Was this a swarm? Should I be outside looking for them right now?

Offline Fishing-Nut

• House Bee
Re: Bee Swarm
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2017, 10:29:50 pm »
I have seen a swarm and they weren't moving backwards and forwards. But all kind of whirling around as the moved along.  They were going to my swarm box. I waited them out and got it on video. But I would say you did see a swarm. I'd look for them if I were you.
Take a kid fishing !

Offline splitrock

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2017, 10:48:24 pm »
If it were a swarm you should have stayed and watched them cluster. They usually don't go very far.

Offline cao

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2017, 10:54:22 pm »
Unless he saw them as they were leaving.

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2017, 11:48:47 pm »
If they were flying, probably orientation flights

If they were walking on the hive and bottom board, they were likely washboarding.

He posted at the time of day for orientation flights to be happening.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline bwallace23350

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2017, 03:02:55 pm »
I wsa in the parking lot of a business in the country. They moved probably 100 yards in the parking lot moving in wild flight pattern movements and then moved back as a group. I walked the property as much as I could and looked for places for them to land. Never saw them. I guess I missed that swarm.

Offline bwallace23350

• Super Bee
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2017, 03:07:01 pm »
Of course it must be a good hive to be throwing off a swarm this time of year or what. We are in a dearth so I would find it odd to be throwing swarms right nhow.

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2017, 10:59:54 am »
bw, You're right. The hives shouldn't be throwing off a swarm. I caught one that was at least 4 pounds Saturday. Normally if they are swarming this time forward it will be what I call a population control swarm. I don't see a swarm making it in the wild this time of year. They might, they know a lot more about being bees than I do.
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline bwallace23350

• Super Bee
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2017, 02:53:28 pm »
Well I wish I could have found it. I would have loved to get that swarm and feed it to till the fall flow

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2017, 02:01:53 am »
If you get infested with wax moths they will swarm, they are bad over here this year.

Joe D

anything