Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Quotes about guns, Second amendment  (Read 4494 times)

Offline Dallasbeek

• Super Bee
Quotes about guns, Second amendment
« on: September 08, 2017, 05:53:49 pm »
"No greater wrong can ever be done than to put a good man at the mercy of a bad, while telling him not to defend himself or his fellows; in no way can the success of evil be made surer or quicker."
- Theodore Roosevelt,  The Winning of the West, Vol. 1
"Liberty lives in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no laws, no court can save it." - Judge Learned Hand, 1944

Offline eltalia

• Queen Bee
Re: Quotes about guns, Second amendment
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2017, 06:32:39 am »
"No greater wrong can ever be done than to put a good man at the mercy of a bad, while telling him not to defend himself or his fellows; in no way can the success of evil be made surer or quicker."

.... from a time of "cowboys an' injuns" is it not well past time to move on?
Surely the above today applies as a national defence mantra...redundant
as personal ethos withn any neighbourhood safe committee?

Bill

Offline Dallasbeek

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2017, 01:03:46 pm »
Google the quote above and read it in context of the Moravian people and their converts (native Americans ) who were similar to Quakers in their peace-loving, pacifist ways, and how they were set upon by white and Indian combatants. 
"Liberty lives in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no laws, no court can save it." - Judge Learned Hand, 1944

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2017, 12:39:44 pm »
"If it's time to bury your guns...Then it's time to use your guns..."
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2017, 12:56:06 pm »
With over 200 murders this year in more than 1 "safe community", I don't think it's quite time to rely on gov to protect me.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2017, 11:25:22 am »
"The laws that forbid the carrying of arms are laws of such a nature. They disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.... Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man."- Thomas Jefferson, Commonplace Book (quoting 18th century criminologist Cesare Beccaria), 1774-1776

"The Constitution of most of our states (and of the United States) assert that all power is inherent in the people; that they may exercise it by themselves; that it is their right and duty to be at all times armed."- Thomas Jefferson, letter to to John Cartwright, 5 June 1824

"I enclose you a list of the killed, wounded, and captives of the enemy from the commencement of hostilities at Lexington in April, 1775, until November, 1777, since which there has been no event of any consequence ... I think that upon the whole it has been about one half the number lost by them, in some instances more, but in others less. This difference is ascribed to our superiority in taking aim when we fire; every soldier in our army having been intimate with his gun from his infancy."- Thomas Jefferson, letter to Giovanni Fabbroni, June 8, 1778

Before a standing army can rule, the people must be disarmed, as they are in almost every country in Europe. The supreme power in America cannot enforce unjust laws by the sword; because the whole body of the people are armed, and constitute a force superior to any band of regular troops."- Noah Webster, An Examination of the Leading Principles of the Federal Constitution, October 10, 1787

"They have gun control in Cuba. They have universal health care in Cuba. So why do they want to come here--"-- Paul Harvey 8/31/94

"After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. I sure as hell wouldn't want to live in a society where the only people allowed guns are the police and the military."-- William S. Burroughs

"Armed people are free. No state can control those who have the machinery and the will to resist, no mob can take their liberty and property. And no 220-pound thug can threaten the well-being or dignity of a 110-pound woman who has two pounds of iron to even things out -- People who object to weapons aren't abolishing violence, they're begging for rule by brute force, when the biggest, strongest animals among men were always automatically right. Guns ended that, and a social democracy is a hollow farce without an armed populace to make it work."-- L. Neil Smith (from The Probability Broach)

" 'A well-crafted pepperoni pizza, being necessary to the preservation of a diverse menu, the right of the people to keep and cook tomatoes, shall not be infringed.'  I would ask you to try to argue that this statement says that only pepperoni pizzas can keep and cook tomatoes, and only well-crafted ones at that. This is basically what the so-called states rights people argue with respect to the well-regulated militia, vs. the right to keep and bear arms." -- Bruce Tiemann

"Switzerland is a land where crime is virtually unknown, yet most Swiss males are required by law to keep in their homes what amounts to a portable, personal machine gun." --Tom Clancy

"When the resolution of enslaving America was formed in Great Britain, the British Parliament was advised by an artful man, who was governor of Pennsylvania, to disarm the people; that it was the best and most effectual way to enslave them; but that they should not do it openly, but weaken them, and let them sink gradually...I ask, who are the militia? They consist of now of the whole people, except a few public officers. But I cannot say who will be the militia of the future day. If that paper on the table gets no alteration, the militia of the future day may not consist of all classes, high and low, and rich and poor..." - George Mason, Virginia Constitution Convention

"We should not forget that the spark which ignited the American Revolution was caused by the British attempt to confiscate the firearms of the colonists." - Patrick Henry
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2017, 04:00:52 pm »
Good post Michael!
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline Eric Bosworth

• Field Bee
  • I love New York... I hate the government.
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2017, 09:15:17 pm »
The quotes in my signature say everything that needs to be said.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

All political power comes from the barrel of a gun. The communist party must command all the guns; that way, no guns can ever be used to command the party. ---Mao Tse Tung

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. ---Benjamin Franklin

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2017, 07:56:35 am »
I agree, Good post Michael.
They should be taught in our schools.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Dallasbeek

• Super Bee
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2017, 11:40:56 am »
Bravo, MB.  very good post.

Offline Hops Brewster

• Field Bee
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2017, 11:56:39 am »

.... from a time of "cowboys an' injuns" is it not well past time to move on?
Surely the above today applies as a national defence mantra...redundant
as personal ethos withn any neighbourhood safe committee?

Bill

National defense not withstanding, the millennia-old war between Good and Bad, Right and Wrong, Righteous and Evil is still under way.  The individual right of a free man, or woman, to protect themselves, with whatever means is available,  from those who seek to do them harm is as valid today as it has ever been.  It has nothing to do with either cowboys or Indians.  This is an argument you will always lose with inane platitudes.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2017, 12:07:27 pm by Hops Brewster »
Winter is coming.

I can't say I hate the government, but I am proudly distrustful of them.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2017, 11:37:56 am »
Some Jeff Cooper:

?We are steadily asked about the age at which to teach young people to shoot. The answer to this obviously depends upon the particular individual; not only his physical maturity but his desire. Apart from these considerations, however, I think it important to understand that it is the duty of the father to teach the son to shoot. Before the young man leaves home, there are certain things he should know and certain skills he should acquire, apart from any state-sponsored activity. Certainly the youngster should be taught to swim, strongly and safely, at distance. And young people of either sex should be taught to drive a motor vehicle, and if at all possible, how to fly a light airplane. I believe a youngster should be taught the rudiments of hand-to-hand combat, unarmed, together with basic survival skills. The list is long, but it is a parent?s duty to make sure that the child does not go forth into the world helpless in the face of its perils. Shooting, of course, is our business, and shooting should not be left up to the state.?

?It is interesting to hear certain kinds of people insist that the citizen cannot fight the government. This would have been news to the men of Lexington and Concord, as well as the Mujahedeen in Afghanistan. The citizen most certainly can fight the government, and usually wins when he tries. Organized national armies are useful primarily for fighting against other organized national armies. When they try to fight against the people, they find themselves at a very serious disadvantage. If you will just look around at the state of the world today, you will see that the guerillero has the upper hand. Irregulars usually defeat regulars, providing they have the will. Such fighting is horrible to contemplate, but will continue to dominate brute strength.?

?It has never been clear to me why increased magazine capacity in a defensive pistol is particularly choice. The bigger the magazine the bigger the gun, and the bigger the gun the harder it is to get hold of for people with small hands. And what, pray, does one need all those rounds for? How many lethal antagonists do you think you are going to be able to handle? Once when Bruce Nelson was asked by a suspect if the thirteen-round magazine in the P35 was not a big advantage, Bruce?s answer was, ?Well, yes, if you plan to miss a lot.? The highest score I know of at this time achieved by one man against a group of armed adversaries was recorded in (of all places) the Ivory Coast! There, some years ago, a graduate student of mine laid out five goblins, with four dead and one totaled for the hospital. Of course there is the episode of Alvin York and his eight, but there is some dispute about that tale. (If you read it over very carefully you will see what I mean.) Be that as it may, I see no real need for a double column magazine. It is all the rage, of course, and like dual air bags, it is a popular current sales gimmick.?

?One cannot legislate the maniacs off the street? these maniacs can only be shut down by an armed citizenry. Indeed bad things can happen in nations where the citizenry is armed, but not as bad as those which seem to be threatening our disarmed citizenry in this country at this time.?

?Owning a handgun doesn?t make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.?

?Remember the first rule of gunfighting? ?have a gun.??

?The police cannot protect the citizen at this stage of our development, and they cannot even protect themselves in many cases. It is up to the private citizen to protect himself and his family, and this is not only acceptable, but mandatory.?

?The will to survive is not as important as the will to prevail? the answer to criminal aggression is retaliation.?

?Safety is something that happens between your ears, not something you hold in your hands.?

?All the people constitute the militia ? according to the Founding Fathers. Therefore every able-bodied man has a duty under the Constitution to become part of the ?well-regulated? militia, specifically to understand and perform well with the individual weapon currently issued to the regular establishment. . . . Thus one who has not qualified himself with the M-16 may not be considered to be a responsible citizen.?

On Federal Law Enforcement Officials:
?Already a couple of the faithful have sent in checks for a foundation memorial to the innocents who perished at the hands of the ninja at Waco. ? I have been criticized by referring to our federal masked men as ?ninja? ? Let us reflect upon the fact that a man who covers his face shows reason to be ashamed of what he is doing. A man who takes it upon himself to shed blood while concealing his identity is a revolting perversion of the warrior ethic. It has long been my conviction that a masked man with a gun is a target. I see no reason to change that view.?

?One bleeding-heart type asked me in a recent interview if I did not agree that ?violence begets violence.? I told him that it is my earnest endeavor to see that it does. I would like very much to ensure?and in some cases I have?that any man who offers violence to his fellow citizen begets a whole lot more in return than he can enjoy.?

? Cooper vs. Terrorism
?The purpose of the pistol is to stop a fight that somebody else has started, almost always at very short range.?

?Bushido is all very well in its way, but it is no match for a 30-06.?

?A free man must not be told how to think, either by the government or by social activists. He may certainly be shown the right way, but he must not accept being forced into it.?

?The conclusions seem inescapable that in certain circles a tendency has arisen to fear people who fear government. Government, as the Father of Our Country put it so well, is a dangerous servant and a fearful master. People who understand history, especially the history of government, do well to fear it. For a people to express openly their fear of those of us who are afraid of tyranny is alarming. Fear of the state is in no sense subversive. It is, to the contrary, the healthiest political philosophy for a free people.? ? Jeff Cooper?s Commentaries, vol. 4, no. 16, December, 1996

?Hoplophobia is a mental disturbance characterized by irrational aversion to weapons, as opposed to justified apprehension about those who may wield them.? ? To Ride, Shoot Straight, and Speak the Truth

?The media insist that crime is the major concern of the American public today. In this connection they generally push the point that a disarmed society would be a crime-free society. They will not accept the truth that if you take all the guns off the street you still will have a crime problem, whereas if you take the criminals off the street you cannot have a gun problem.?

?In the larger sense, however, the personal ownership of firearms is only secondarily a matter of defense against the criminal. Note the following from Thomas Jefferson:
The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government.
That is why our masters in Washington are so anxious to disarm us. They are not afraid of criminals. They are afraid of a populace which cannot be subdued by tyrants.? ? Jeff Cooper?s Commentaries, Vol. 2, No. 5, May 1994
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin