Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Removals  (Read 1485 times)

Offline Capitanbob

• New Bee
Removals
« on: June 26, 2019, 01:05:06 pm »
I am at my limit (wife?s limit) for hives right now but the word is out that I know how to catch or remove a swarm. Seems like I get a request every week. I?d like to get more of these and maybe even a few $$, but what to do with the new colonies? 
Any advice?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline CoolBees

• Queen Bee
Re: Removals
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2019, 02:29:49 pm »
If you have a way to get them up to the Bay Area, and they aren't africanized, I'd happily take them!  :grin: :cheesy: : :wink: :cool:
You cannot permanently help men by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves - Abraham Lincoln

Offline Fishing-Nut

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2019, 03:52:46 pm »
Go get them....let them get settled and built up some I'm their new home and then sell them.  I never charge a dime for a local swarm removal but I won't even consider doing a cutout without being paid. Theres just WAAAAAY to much hard work involved to do it for free. I have my name and number on a website stating that I offer free local swarm removal and also do cutouts for a fee. I cant tell you how many calls I get and they say "yes sir i saw that you do free swarm removal,  I've got a swarm that's been in my soffit for a couple of years can you remove them" ....
Take a kid fishing !

Offline Capitanbob

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2019, 06:33:32 pm »
Thank you!  Going to look into the demand for nucs down here. Wondering how much of a market there would be.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2019, 09:42:25 pm »
Another thing you can do, especially if they might bee Africanized Bees is locate the queen, remove her and paper combine the bees with your weakest hive.
Nucs sell for $150 to as much as $270. Just keep them long enough to make certain the new brood pattern looks good.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Nock

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2019, 11:37:15 pm »
Where do y?all look or advertise?  I?d love to try s cut out or catch a swarm. I?ve never seen either needing done.

Offline Capitanbob

• New Bee
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2019, 12:48:17 am »
Another great idea. Thanks!

Offline Capitanbob

• New Bee
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2019, 01:20:03 am »
Nock, not looking or advertising. Word just seems to get out. Also, it?s been a crazy year for swarms. Lots of rain last winter and vegetation this spring may be contributing. I made some swarm traps and got several hits.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2019, 01:21:41 am »
Where do y?all look or advertise?  I?d love to try s cut out or catch a swarm. I?ve never seen either needing done.
Craig?s list,
Local news paper. I advertise free swarm removals, the adds are free. If they call and have a hive in their building, I explain that in not a swarm and they are not free.
Local bee club has a bee removal site. This is where I get the most calls from.
I let the local police, 911, fire and pest removal companies know that I do removals. This is the second biggest source for calls. Sometimes I am working for the pest removal companies. Not the actual owner.
Hope that helps.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Nock

• Field Bee
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2019, 09:14:49 am »
Craig?s list,
Local news paper. I advertise free swarm removals, the adds are free. If they call and have a hive in their building, I explain that in not a swarm and they are not free.
Local bee club has a bee removal site. This is where I get the most calls from.
I let the local police, 911, fire and pest removal companies know that I do removals. This is the second biggest source for calls. Sometimes I am working for the pest removal companies. Not the actual owner.
Hope that helps.
Jim Altmiller
Thanks Jim.