Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: propolis  (Read 1423 times)

Offline beesonhay465

• House Bee
propolis
« on: January 24, 2020, 09:43:36 am »
my one hive is loaded with propolis to the point that when trying to lift frames they are breaking at the joints im working as carefully as possible but they are really glued in hard.any solution?

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
Re: propolis
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2020, 10:51:26 am »
Get rid of the Carniolans and get a different strain queen.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2020, 11:12:50 am »
Get a propolis trap and make sell the propolis. Clean propolis sells for about $7 an ounce.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Bob Wilson

• Queen Bee
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2020, 11:31:45 am »
Could it also be that winter cold has hardened up the propolis, so wait till we get into more temperate weather... Or
Maybe the frames were assembled without glue or strong enough fasteners?

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2020, 12:40:27 pm »
Bob,
Is the wood breaking or are the frames pulling apart?
More than likely they are pulling apart. If so they need to be glued.
I would not be pulling cold frames out. If it is that cold you should not be in the hive.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline CoolBees

• Queen Bee
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2020, 01:11:37 pm »
Almost sounds like the "bee space" is wrong around the frames and the bees filled it with propolis - just a thought.

I quite gluing frames 2 yrs ago (300 fames ago) and haven't had one come apart yet, even during extraction. I use a Brad nailer. ... so, glued frames coming apart, confuses me.
You cannot permanently help men by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves - Abraham Lincoln

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2020, 03:37:29 pm »
Those coming apart likely don't have a brad or nail horizontally into the end of the top bar through the end piece.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Bob Wilson

• Queen Bee
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2020, 11:13:03 pm »
Not my frames guys. Beesonhay. I was commenting on his frame trouble.
If my frames have any trouble, it would be making them TOO strong. I tend to overkill on stuff.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2020, 03:06:29 am »
my one hive is loaded with propolis to the point that when trying to lift frames they are breaking at the joints im working as carefully as possible but they are really glued in hard.any solution?

Not totally unusual.
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2020, 09:35:45 am »
any solution?
Personally I would celebrate.  Bees that produce a lot of propolise tend to be healthy.
The solution to your problem is technique.  Do not try to pry the frame up.  Keep enough space in the box that you can pry the frame sideways and break the propolise loose.  If you get a frame grabber you can work the frame back and forth after you break it free such that you can pick that first frame out.  Once the first one is out breaking the others out without squishing bees is easier and faster.  Take your time on the first one.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline Bob Wilson

• Queen Bee
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2020, 04:26:11 pm »
Ace. That is what I thought also, concerning the amout of propolis and general bee healthiness. My colony has certainly seemed healthy. Of course, I am comparing my one hive to...my one hive. After I catch another swarm this spring, I am really looking forward to seeing how they keep house. Unless I catch another swarm off the same feral colony (or beekeeper) as I did last time. Then I would get the same genetics. Very sticky, goopy summer frames.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2020, 09:09:07 am »
Keep in mind that some genetics come from several drones.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

anything