Welcome, Guest

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10
Another hot one here.  I got started earlier in the bee yard today.  I checked all the little hives, most of which aren't so little anymore.  I added the 4th box to one and the 5th box to another.  There is SO MUCH SOURWOOD coming in!  I had 2 of the colonies cramming wild comb in corners and beneath shallows because they had run out of room.  It was a sticky mess to clean up, but it was delicious!  :tongue: 

One of the hives just hasn't grown at rate comparable to the rest though.  They are still only in 2 boxes, and they haven't even drawn out all their frames, despite the really strong flow.  I'll have to see how they shape up as the season progresses.  I very well may combine them with someone else.  The only reason I'm giving them such a long leash is that they started out the season really behind, and it may just all be an extension of that.  I can always condense them down to one box and winter them over a big colony if I'd prefer to.  I'm also going to have to do something about their migratory cover, because it's so rotted that the entire front of it basically disintegrated when I opened the hive today. 

I put what I think is an entire box of capped sourwood above my escape board in the one bigger colony I checked.  The comb is quite a bit cross-connected, and I didn't want to break it apart, so I'm just going to take the whole box in the house tomorrow and we'll go from there.  If some of the frames aren't ready, maybe I'll donate them to the small colony.         
GENERAL BEEKEEPING - MAIN POSTING FORUM. / Re: Tanging - swarm lure
« Last post by farmer9989 on Today at 03:29:13 pm »
 Only time I've tried was when swarm was exiting the hive and they turned around and went back in ,don't have any idea if that is why .but i put a Tee post up in close and left my driver on it serves two purposes one to know were the driver is and two to have something to tang. it has solved one problem anyway.   
PHOTO PAGE - MEMBER PHOTOS & BEE-MOVIES HERE! / Re: Daughters bee shots
« Last post by NigelP on Today at 09:52:37 am »
Although it was only 17 degrees, it was calm and the bees were gathering a bit of pollen and nectar.

Middle of summer UK, 11C raining and I've got the fire on.
OUTDOOR ACTIVITIES FORUM / Re: Lets Go Fishing!
« Last post by Ben Framed on Today at 09:14:17 am »
>The fish I was chasing with the grandson is called flathead. They look a bit like a narrow catfish without the whiskers. They are one of the best eating fish in Australia

We have a catfish here we call flathead as well Les. Good tasting fish.

Phillip
Nice.
That kind of looks like Bottle Brush. Is a tree? Our bees love Bottle Brush.
Jim Altmiller
« Last post by Terri Yaki on Today at 07:45:00 am »
I?m not familiar with all of the species of catfish but catching them at depths would be fun. We might have a different name for that same fish here. I take it that that?s not meters. I find it interesting that fish that are found here are also found elsewhere in the world.
« Last post by Lesgold on Today at 03:57:36 am »
Hi Terri,

I built the boat 20 years ago when I had some leave from work. As my wife had only just secured permanent work, we couldn?t travel so I wanted something to due to during the 10 weeks holiday time. I?d never welded aluminium before so I thought it would be a good challenge. It took me about 3 months to make it and it was a lot of fun. I?ll see if I can come up with a photo. It has served me well over the years. The fish I was chasing with the grandson is called flathead. They look a bit like a narrow catfish without the whiskers. They are one of the best eating fish in Australia and are quite plentiful in shallow waters off the coast. We caught these fish in about 130? on a sandy bottom. Didn?t have any bait in the freezer so I grabbed some raw chicken thigh fillet that I?d thrown out the night before. The fish loved it an gobbled it up.
Just made a visual inspection of the hives around the house. All hives active except for two that went into winter struggling. Pleased to see that they are bringing in some pollen and enough nectar to keep them going. About half of the hives went into winter with no stores so I?m pleased that they were able to scrounge a bit of food to keep them alive. Only a few weeks until the first small nectar flow starts. It will give them a good kick along into spring which normally starts about a month earlier than the recognised season.
CRAFTING CORNER / Re: Laser projects
« Last post by Lesgold on Today at 01:49:15 am »
Good thinking Jim. From a distance it looks as though you had used a variety of timbers.
PHOTO PAGE - MEMBER PHOTOS & BEE-MOVIES HERE! / Re: Daughters bee shots
« Last post by Lesgold on Today at 01:46:21 am »
The bees were out having a good look around today. Although it was only 17 degrees, it was calm and the bees were gathering a bit of pollen and nectar. The banksia in the garden is in full bloom and the bees love it. You may be able to see a couple of them buried deep within the flower head.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10
anything