Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: About Me  (Read 1547 times)

Offline annieq

• Brood
About Me
« on: August 13, 2013, 04:58:27 pm »
Hi Everyone,
I just found out about this forum last night at our bee meeting (Coastal Empire Beekeepers Association).  I'm so glad you are here because I can always use your collective knowledge!!

I have been keeping bees now for about 6 years.  I have a HUGE problem with SHB here in Savannah.  They LOVE this sandy soil and sub-tropical climate.  Right now is the height of SHB season and I'm doing everything I know both culturally and physically-veggie oil beetle traps, raking up leaf litter.  Today I put in a piece of Handi-Wipe on a CD case on the bottom board and top super--heard about this from another beekeeper. 

Anyone out there have some other tricks or tips?

Offline RC

• House Bee
Re: About Me
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2013, 06:28:48 pm »
Welcome to the forum.You'll find a lot of good people here and a lot of knowledge.
What's helped me the most with SHB and mites is to place the hives in full sun. Maybe just a little late afternoon shade.
I also requeened every hive with hygienic queens, except for the swarms I caught last spring.
I went thru 12 hives last Sunday, saw and squished 2 SHB and no mites.24 hr drops on a sticky board are almost nothing, just an occasional mite.

Offline tefer2

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2013, 09:56:45 am »
Welcome to the forum Ann.

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2013, 11:54:27 am »
Welcome to the forum, Annie.  In our area the SHBs have been worst than usuall this year.  Just hope next year is better, shb and weather.  Good luck to you and your bees.

Joe

Offline JPinMO

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2013, 11:49:27 pm »
Welcome, Annie! Please go to your profile and update your location so everyone can help you better (based on your climate).

Please (please!) go to the "Disease and Pest Control" board and tell us about a Handi-wipe in a CD case! I have heard of using a CD case, but what's with the Handi-wipe?
"Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters
cannot be trusted in large ones either."  Albert Einstein