Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: They do not call them Texas Longhorns for nothing!  (Read 584 times)

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Online Terri Yaki

• Super Bee

Online The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
Re: They do not call them Texas Longhorns for nothing!
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2023, 05:17:20 pm »
Back in the day I showed cutting horses.  There was one ranch that used to host shows and they had longhorns.  We all hated facing those things.  They were young and didn't have that wide horn spread, but still enough to put some fear into you facing them!
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2023, 05:34:36 pm »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_rHrLHIeyI

Love it!  Brings back memories of my youth and my grandaddy...  We never did trail drives, as that was a ting of the past, but we would drive them to different pastures.... And round up was done the same as in the past with horses, we would drive them to large corrals for working them.. (vaccinations, worming, branding, etc.) 
My Grandaddy always had a least one good cow dog too. One of the hands from a neighboring ranch once said, "That old man, with his horse and dog can do the work of six men"..
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2023, 07:29:20 pm »
My buddy has been raising cows for 70 years. At one time, he had over 900 head that roamed the Osceola National Forest. On one job he was hired on a per cow recovered, with just a few dogs and his horse he rounded up 150 cows in just 2 hours. 5 cowboys tried over and over again for 2 years to get those same cows off of a property they were not allowed to be on. The owner was shocked and almost refused to pay him because he got way more than he ever thought possible.
I have watched his dogs work large herds and even my buffalo as well as my cows and they are amazing.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2023, 01:34:40 am »
Thanks jim. I love to watch a good dog work cows...  Any idea of about how much a head the fellow charged to get those cows out?
« Last Edit: October 14, 2023, 01:57:37 am by Ben Framed »

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2023, 09:04:36 am »
The deal was, $100 for adults and $50 for yearlings. The owner was expecting maybe 25 head at best. So he was expecting to pay about $2,500, not $12,500.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2023, 11:19:41 am »
To recover a rough estimate of $130,000.00 worth of live cattle for an measly $12,500 that he would never have been able to recover himself, sounds like a good deal to me. Plus the Cattle Man who recovered the beef could have claimed all unbranded or un-marked cattle for himself that had been born wild since they were running on Government range, (Free ranging cattle). Meaning all cattle born and never been marked nor branded had never been officially claimed by anyone. Leaving them to the person who did the work rounding them up. (Possession of ownership).
The man with horse and dogs who did the work was mighty generous considering.  😊

Online Terri Yaki

• Super Bee
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2023, 12:11:48 pm »
Yeah, if it's worth the bounty for one head, it's worth it for each and ever head so...what's the beef?   :cool:

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2023, 01:31:29 pm »
The owner only agreed to hire my buddy because the next step was the cows were going to be shot. Like you say, doesn?t make sense.
Jim Altmiller
Ben Franklin

anything