Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Small Hive Beetle; Winter months  (Read 1163 times)

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
Small Hive Beetle; Winter months
« on: November 04, 2018, 01:31:12 pm »
I have been told that some SHB over winter in the bee hive along with the bees. From what I have seen heard and read this is correct? I have also been told, in my area, North Mississippi, there is the occasionally warmer days permitting the bee to go out and forage, will the SHB leave the hive on these rare days also or do they stay put for the duration of the winter? I have not been successful in finding this answer. In other words, lets say in late winter, pollen patties are placed inside of some hives, will the SHB leave with the forgers to "forge" himself loading up the hive with the pollen patties installed.

For example, lets say beekeeper A has hypothetically 30 bee colonies. He has not yet placed pollen patties inside these hives for the late winter early spring build up. Yet he does have a minimal amount of sneaky SHB that has been overwintering in each of his hives. That might not sound too bad or be (too) bad for Mr beekeeper A because we are talking about a minimal amount spread out through his 30 hives.

Beekeeper B Which has a modest apiary of 2 or 3 hives, only lives a mile or less form beekeeper A.
Mr B  decides to insert patties in his hive early February. Maybe two weeks earlier than Beekeeper A. unaware or not considering Mr A's bees up the road.  By doing so will the beetles which are in Beekeeper A's hives leave his hives and go right on down the road to beekeeper B's modest little apiary like a magnet totally infesting the 2-3 hive little apiary on one of these occasional rare warm days as the bee from hive A foraging is accomplished for the bees?

So does the beetles leave the hive just as the forgers do on the occasional warm days of winter looking for a better host in this type of scenario described? 

Thanks, Phillip Hall "Ben Framed"   
« Last Edit: November 04, 2018, 01:43:26 pm by Ben Framed »
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline AR Beekeeper

• House Bee
Re: Small Hive Beetle; Winter months
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2018, 01:49:53 pm »
SHB is not usually active until the temperature is over 76 degrees.  Mine remain active in the hive, but I seldom see one outside until the warm spring weather.  I believe that in the winter they remain in the colony, only leaving it when the colony is crashing.  It is during the periods of darkness that beetles are most active, so it is hard to say.  During summer I see beetles on the outside of my hives, and I have seen them fly into hives, both through the entrance and when boxes have been separated and the comb exposed.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
Re: Small Hive Beetle; Winter months
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2018, 03:49:52 pm »
SHB is not usually active until the temperature is over 76 degrees.  Mine remain active in the hive, but I seldom see one outside until the warm spring weather.  I believe that in the winter they remain in the colony, only leaving it when the colony is crashing.  It is during the periods of darkness that beetles are most active, so it is hard to say.  During summer I see beetles on the outside of my hives, and I have seen them fly into hives, both through the entrance and when boxes have been separated and the comb exposed.

Thanks AR Beekeeper for the good detailed answer.
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

anything