Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Graph of two separate hives, losing weight everyday.  (Read 4083 times)

Offline van from Arkansas

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
Graph of two separate hives, losing weight everyday.
« on: September 30, 2019, 10:22:44 pm »
Both hives are same: 2 deeps, langstrof 10 frame located 20 feet apart.  Both hives losing 0.5 pounds a day.

I have been around bees a long time, since birth.  I am a hobbyist so my answers often reflect this fact.  I concentrate on genetics, raise my own queens by wet graft, nicot, with natural or II breeding.  I do not sell queens, I will give queens  for free but no shipping.

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
Re: Graph of two separate hives, losing weight everyday.
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2019, 10:23:17 pm »

If you look closely at the dips, the dips are just after daylight as the bees go forage the weight drops, then rises a few hours later as the bees return with their load.  The scales are accurate enough to weigh the loss of a pound+ of foragers that depart the hive same time every morning.

Van
I have been around bees a long time, since birth.  I am a hobbyist so my answers often reflect this fact.  I concentrate on genetics, raise my own queens by wet graft, nicot, with natural or II breeding.  I do not sell queens, I will give queens  for free but no shipping.

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2019, 08:45:18 am »
It's kind of misleading when the bottom of the chart is about 118 lbs and the top is 121 lbs.  It makes it look like they used up almost 100% their honey when they actually only used up 4% of their honey.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2019, 12:45:50 pm »
Yes, Mr. Bush, agreed.  However the programmer figured a person like yourself would read the graph just as you correctly pointed out, the baseline is 104 pounds.  If zero was shown the graph would be to tall for my iPhone to display.  Are you not a computer programmer?  What would you suggest?  I can pass along your ideas.

Van

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2019, 04:29:26 pm »
I'm not blaming you, just pointing out what I see.

>Are you not a computer programmer? 

I am.  Which is probalby why I notice that it is misleading.  I try to make sure reports give an accurate feeling of what is actually happening.

>What would you suggest?  I can pass along your ideas.

Whatever the real estate, I would make a chart show from 0 to max so you can see the actual proportions.  That's my view of how data should be presented honestly.  This certainly isn't the only instance which is why it's a pet peeve.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline BAHBEEs

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2019, 04:53:00 pm »
In science land we often deal with this issue.  What is often done is a wavy break is shown in the middle of the graph with detail in the gap as to just what was not shown in order to see the highly impactful info at a scale that works.

Offline incognito

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2019, 11:38:40 pm »
If zero was shown the graph would be to tall for my iPhone to display.  Are you not a computer programmer?  What would you suggest?  I can pass along your ideas.

Van
Option to toggle between both displays. Like heads up or north up display on a GPS. - Whatever floats your boat.
It works for me as is as long as the graph is not designed to deceive the reader.
Tom

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2019, 08:16:36 am »
That is funny Van.  Being able to read data graphically I like the way you represented it.  All the information is there.  There should be no confusion.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2019, 10:28:32 am »
If zero was shown the graph would be to tall for my iPhone to display.  Are you not a computer programmer?  What would you suggest?  I can pass along your ideas.

Van
Option to toggle between both displays. Like heads up or north up display on a GPS. - Whatever floats your boat.
It works for me as is as long as the graph is not designed to deceive the reader.

Member the graphs shown on my iPhone are touch sensitive showing time and weight to the half hour.  If I display on my computer there are many options.
Van

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2019, 08:36:49 pm »
Latest graph, losing 1 pound a day.  Has been steady at losing 1/2 pound a day.  The reason for losing more weight a day eludes me??

Van

Offline Oldbeavo

• Queen Bee
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2019, 09:23:54 pm »
Our scales only read once per day at 4:30am when every thing is static. You have too much data.
Our hives can lose 1/2 to 1lb per day if there is no nectar and the bees are out searching. Brood load will alter honey usage.
In winter loses can be only 2-3 ounces per day, but no activity by the bees
Ups and down during the day can be nectar collection and then drying it back will give you a loss of weight.

Just for interest one hive gained 2lb yesterday while the other one did nothing, why? don't know, they are 160 mile away so going to see why is not an option. Scale fault or hive issue??? Will see what happens in the next few days.

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2019, 09:38:47 pm »
To much data, perhaps.  Weight every 1/2 hour when warm weather, then in winter every 12 hour to save 5 year battery life.  The amount of data is all figured by the computer and stored in the cloud.  So to me, amount of data is not so important.  You have a point, Beavo, all I need is a single daily reading.

On my computer, not this iPhone simple graph, I can tell what time the foragers leave the hive as there is drop in weight of the hive.  A smart hive for a dumb beekeeper is what I say.
Cheers
Van

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2019, 09:38:57 am »
Too much data???  Never heard of such a thing...  A digital scale probably take 1000 readings a second and then displays an average.  It wouldn't be too accurate if it took one reading a second.  The more data the better if you are looking for trends.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline Oldbeavo

• Queen Bee
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2019, 04:46:39 pm »
The trend needed for a beehive is over days or a week, 30 minute weights needs too much interpretation.
The hive weights daily since being shifted to a new site are 34.7, 35.6, 37.1 kg, this is a useful trend.

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2019, 05:25:56 pm »
Ace, these new age digital scales measure weight by static electricity.  I have no understanding of this.  There is no spring, no counter balance, only this little plastic box called a load scale that is wired to a transmission to my iPhone.  It?s all voodoo, Greek to me, but it works.  I have no idea how, but it works.

Anybody understand this weight measured by static electricity, new age stuff???

Van

Online The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2019, 07:20:40 pm »
Ace, these new age digital scales measure weight by static electricity.  I have no understanding of this.  There is no spring, no counter balance, only this little plastic box called a load scale that is wired to a transmission to my iPhone.  It?s all voodoo, Greek to me, but it works.  I have no idea how, but it works.

Anybody understand this weight measured by static electricity, new age stuff???

Van
From what I understand, applying force to certain types of electrical circuits (called "load cells") can change their resistance.  The change would of course be directly proportional to the applied force (the weight on the scale), so by measuring the change in resistance, the scale is able to give the weight.  Source:  https://electronics.howstuffworks.com/gadgets/fitness/digital-scale.htm   
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline Nock

• Field Bee
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2019, 08:58:41 am »
Bingo^^^^^

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2019, 09:15:17 am »
Not voodoo at all Van but the electricity is not static unless you are referring to battery power.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2019, 11:56:17 am »
I started feeding, Monday, Columbus Day.

Blessings
Van

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2019, 12:00:22 pm »
I started feeding, Monday, Columbus Day.

Blessings
Van

Wow! What a huge difference!!! I am impressed!!! How do you administer your feed Mr Van?
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.