Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Need Opinions  (Read 1844 times)

Offline timdalyiii

• House Bee
  • Bee Cool
Need Opinions
« on: May 17, 2017, 03:38:01 pm »
I started with a package this spring (March).  I hadn't checked in a few weeks.  Sunday my neighbor had two swarms (1 smallish, 1 tiny) in his trees.  I got both. 

I checked all today.  My package has bees, but no brood except a small patch of drones.  The smallish swarm looks like it has some brood.  The tiny one is on crapy equipment that doesn't fit so I'm not sure what to do with that or what the status is. 

Option 1: I'm thinking of checking the smallish one this weekend and if there is a good amount of brood to take a frame or so from that and put it in the package hive to let them make a queen if they need one. 

Option 2: If there are still no brood in the package hive this weekend, assume no queen and do a newspaper combine with smallish. 

Any other suggestions?

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
Re: Need Opinions
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2017, 03:37:04 pm »
Do you know how to check for laying workers? If you have laying workers they'll most like likely kill the queen. Multiple eggs in a cell and/or eggs on top if pollen. It could be that your queen is in there but not mated. Pinch her and introduce another one. Ask the seller to supply you with another queen. Offer pictures and to return the other queen.
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2017, 05:35:58 pm »
It could be that the package swarmed and the virgin queen left behind has not started to lay or she is the drone layer.
Two months after you installed a package you want the guy to ask for a free queen?  Who would do that?
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline timdalyiii

• House Bee
  • Bee Cool
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2017, 02:46:20 pm »
Today I checked all three.  No brood at all.  I guess there are either some virgins that haven't mated/started laying yet or I'm queenless. 

How long do I wait before trying to get a queen?

Offline Captain776

• House Bee
  • Captain
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2017, 04:12:34 pm »
Do you see any Queen cells in your hopes?
Before you run out and buy a Queen, you need to make SURE you don't have one.
They may be superseding her naturally or you could have had a swarm.

Takes 21 days for Queen to emerge, a few days for her to be able to fly, and  a week after mated to get the egg laying process down, you can be 4 or 5 weeks before you see eggs from a newly mated Queen
Bought my first NUC April 7, 2016.
Like all you when you first started, I am fascinated with beginning Beekeeping and trying to learn all I can.
I retired May 2015 and have added this to my short list of hobbies.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2017, 02:03:24 pm »
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline timdalyiii

• House Bee
  • Bee Cool
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2017, 03:40:34 pm »
Huh.  Now I have brood in all 3.  My new problem is that I don't have nearly enough equipment for three colonies.   :happy:

That's a great problem to have. 

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2017, 08:09:15 am »
When you have new queens, you do not want to bee inspecting the hives. She needs time to prove her self as a good queen. Be careful.  The bees can kill a queen due to too much intrusion.
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline timdalyiii

• House Bee
  • Bee Cool
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2017, 08:23:00 am »
Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Rurification

• Field Bee
    • Rurification
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2017, 02:32:03 pm »
Huh.  Now I have brood in all 3.  My new problem is that I don't have nearly enough equipment for three colonies.   :happy:

That's a great problem to have.

The story of my [beekeeping] life.   Always need more boxes...
Robin Edmundson
www.rurification.com

Beekeeping since 2012

anything