Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Nuc Boxes From 10 Frame Deeps  (Read 2473 times)

Offline Beeboy01

• Field Bee
  • Oh Look A Honey Bee !!!
Nuc Boxes From 10 Frame Deeps
« on: July 18, 2019, 11:37:28 am »
Boy did I learn something last week. I had a couple older 10 frame deep boxes I wanted to cut in half to make 5 frame nucs boxes. Didn't think about measuring anything. just tossed them on the table saw and cut them in half. Guess what, they are about an inch narrower than the commercial 5 frame nucs and only hold 4 frames unless I really push the fifth frame in. LOL measure twice, cut once. Still usable but a bit of an unexpected downsize. They just barely fit on a commercial 5 frame nuc .

Offline paus

• Field Bee
Re: Nuc Boxes From 10 Frame Deeps
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2019, 10:00:25 am »
I made two nuc boxes from one 10 frame box by using a router and cutting a 3/8 deep by 1/8 inch slot in the middle of the box.  Cut to fit a piece of 1/8 inch panel so it can be dropped in the slot making a bee proof partition.  If I make another I will make the entrances on opposite ends.  A drop of supper glue in a few spots keeps the panel from moving yet it can be removed and the hive box used for normal use.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2019, 10:04:35 am »
You can shave down the frames so 5 will fit but you will want to keep these frames for nucs so best to mark them.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2019, 10:12:16 am »
Michael Bush does what Ace said to do with most of his hives. The bees are packed in tighter and seem to do better. He puts 11 frames in a 10 frame box.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline JConnolly

• New Bee
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2019, 01:46:02 pm »
Instead of cutting a slot as paus does I cut a partition to fit and shaped to fill the frame rest.  Then I pocket screw it in place.  By using pocket screws instead of a dado I avoid cutting through the back of the handhold, and if I ever remove it then the only damage to the box is the screw holes.  However I do have to cut the partition so that it fills the frame rest area.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2019, 09:21:47 am »
If you cut a deep in half and then cut one bys to make new sides to make two nucs the same width as a ten frame box when put together, they will hold four frames.  If you cut it in half and put the sides on the outside, the result is an inch and a half wider than a ten frame box and you can just get five frames in.  They will be 8 7/8" wide.  But a typical five frame nuc is 9 1/4" wide.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

anything