BEEKEEPING LEARNING CENTER > GENERAL BEEKEEPING - MAIN POSTING FORUM.

Mated Queens

(1/3) > >>

Ben Framed:
I have taken in so much information in the past 20 months that I can not clearly remember everything that I have been told or learned. I am thinking that it was discussed here sometime in this 20 month time frame that only virgin queens kill one another as mated queens do not kill other mated queens or virgins, is this correct. When a mated queen is killed it is by the worker bees such in supersedure situation, is this correct?
Phillip

Donovan J:
I think they would fight mated or unmated. They dont care whether the queen is virgin or not they'll still fight.

Ben Framed:
Maybe so Xerox. Do established queens always swarm before virgins are hatched?

Donovan J:

--- Quote from: Ben Framed on December 15, 2019, 12:40:35 pm ---Maybe so Xerox. Do established queens always swarm before virgins are hatched?

--- End quote ---

I'm pretty sure they do. Usually they will swarm once they cap the swarm cells then the virgin queens dual it out or the bees will super swarm when they swarm multiple times with each of the virgin queens until no bees are left.

Ben Framed:
Do bees swarm with virgin queens only in certain situations,  or do they swarm with at least one mated queen?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version