Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Well I finally made myself a frame wiring jig  (Read 5682 times)

Offline LenR

• New Bee
Well I finally made myself a frame wiring jig
« on: July 02, 2017, 07:05:48 am »
Been looking at a few on the good old Internet, and decided to give one a go.

Here is jig and it works pretty good :cool:

You can have a look here https://s6.postimg.org/i1kan3wip/image.jpg

Len

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Well I finally made myself a frame wiring jig
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2017, 08:11:00 am »
What is the purpose of it? Does it hold the frame until the glue is dry? It doesn't look like you could nail the frame in the jig.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2017, 12:42:24 pm »
What is the purpose of it? Does it hold the frame until the glue is dry? It doesn't look like you could nail the frame in the jig.
Jim

I believe if you read the original title. It would answer a lot of your questions you just asked.

Every major beekeeping supply house in the USA used to sell these. Haven't seen one advertising years. The first one I bought is about 50 years ago.
From AI Root Medina,Ohio

Here is a picture of a different one. They are all basically the same.. Yes I still have one...

https://youtu.be/HCXwi_ZFzvM

BEE HAPPY Jim 134   :smile:
« Last Edit: July 02, 2017, 01:34:40 pm by Jim 134 »
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2017, 02:33:39 pm »
Sorry about that, I missed the wiring part. I have never used wire on frames. I switched to mediums pretty quickly and never needed them.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline 220

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2017, 03:40:48 am »
Should do the job, I'm still undecided on if I need one or not.
Have a hundred frames to assemble and wire, I haven't had any problem getting tension on the wires without a jig so not sure if it is worth the effort to make one.

Offline esttile

• Brood
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2017, 07:09:48 am »
Lee I'd get rid of that centre board, it's only in the way, build up the long board to the same height as your top rail, now take that centre board cut it down to about 50mm, now screw it to the built up long board. Use this to swing over the frame when wiring then swing away to remove frame. Your frame shouldn't lift up when wiring.
Check out the pic from Jim134 esp the doorstop to keep tension on while wiring.

Offline minz

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2017, 01:11:47 am »
very cool video. I think it is funny when I think I know what I am doing and find  better way. I put a quick grip clamp from side to side, give it a squeeze and feed the wire through. I am never doing wired frames again anyway. The wheels on the end were what I had thought of before. I pluck mine like a guitar to get them tight.
I say this after every 100 and then get a deal on wax foundation or a steal on frames and I am back wiring!
Poor decisions make the best stories.

Offline eltalia

• Queen Bee
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2017, 06:37:07 am »
G'day Jim.
The example is pretty much what was my intro to frame preparation, long abandoned. I have crosswired for many years now, along with screwing woodwork as an assembly default.
Below is a link to the Guilfoyle board, still available today for $170AUD, would you believe! I recall around $15 in the late sixties, one fifths of a weeks wage, so they are still "cheap".
Note the design includes an embedding board.
https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=john%20l%20guilfoyle%20wiring%20device%20and%20embedding%20board%20&source=web&cd=1&ved=0ahUKEwj1yqvx5PHUAhVME5QKHYHIAO8QFggdMAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fjohnlguilfoyle.com.au%2Fpamphlets%2FWiring%2520Device%2520-%2520Beg%2520a.pdf&usg=AFQjCNHMEH-0azsobrExWgei9lWsTjuNkg

More of a gathering of opinions from interaction during field day seminars and peer reviews thanjustified reasoning, I believe that system was made redundant by many switching to plastic foundation and many more moving to screws in lieu of the nail. Having dismissed plastic after trials I went to crosswire, and a way less "fiddly"  frame assembly for wax foundation.

Cheers.

Bill
Jim

I believe if you read the original title. It would answer a lot of your questions you just asked.

Every major beekeeping supply house in the USA used to sell these. Haven't seen one advertising years. The first one I bought is about 50 years ago.
(edit)
                BEE HAPPY Jim 134   :smile:

anything