Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Are Yellow jackets getting worse?  (Read 972 times)

Offline Langston

• Brood
Are Yellow jackets getting worse?
« on: November 07, 2018, 11:08:10 am »
Hey everyone, i really need your opinion on this question because it seems like others are having the same problem.

Every year I do what I can to fight off yellow jackets but they are seriously getting out of hand. I have looked on other
Bee keeper forums   online and it seems like they are also experiencing this same thing.

Does anyone else think they are getting worse or is it just me?

Offline cao

• Super Bee
Re: Are Yellow jackets getting worse?
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2018, 11:20:27 am »
Welcome  :happy:.

So far I haven't had a problem with them, so I can't answer your question.  Hopefully others will.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2018, 01:19:13 pm »
I seeing more and more YJs but they are not a problem for the bees, yet.
This tells me there is a nest of them close to my house. I keep an eye out for them and I will destroy them if I find them. You may have a large nest of them that is in a warm location and it is not dying off and having to start over again like they normally do.
At the bee college, which is next to the entomology building, they have YJ nests that are monsters because they were in a large underground void and did not die every year.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2018, 03:54:21 pm »
They got worse each year for me.  I think there are two reasons.  1. is that the next property over is where my neighbors keep the excess from their construction company.  Plenty of stuff on the ground to make nice covers for YJ nests.  2.  more and more were attracted to my place because if my hives.  They found an easy source of food. 

By two years ago, they had taken down all my hives.  I thought if I took a break things might be better, so I hope to start up again in spring.  IDK.  There were a lot of them around this year anyway.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

anything