Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Honey from comb that has had brood previously  (Read 2999 times)

Offline AustinB

• House Bee
  • Christian, father, outdoorsman
Honey from comb that has had brood previously
« on: April 11, 2022, 01:06:55 pm »
I have some medium supers with drawn comb that have had some brood raised in them in the past, that are currently sitting unused. They are not dark old combs, they are more of a biscuit colored / brownish color. All my honey supers in the past have always been drawn and used/reused specifically for honey. I'd like to hear some thoughts about putting on these mediums for the honeyflow with the intent to extract later. Thanks  :cool:
The just man walketh in his integrity: his children are blessed after him.
Proverbs 20:7

Gracious words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones. Proberbs 16:24

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
Re: Honey from comb that has had brood previously
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2022, 01:35:21 pm »
Comb that has been used for brood enough to darken its color significantly can impart flavor to the honey, especially if the honey isn't an overly strong variety to begin with.  It doesn't bother some people, but I personally dislike it.  The flavor tastes kind of burnt to me, like the smell of slum gum leftover from melting wax.  If it was me, it would depend on how dark it is.  The way you are describing it, your comb would be on the line for me.  I'd be hesitant to use comb that could be described as brown, but I'd be okay with comb that's had a couple rounds of brood and isn't white or cream anymore.       
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline AustinB

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2022, 01:48:04 pm »
Comb that has been used for brood enough to darken its color significantly can impart flavor to the honey, especially if the honey isn't an overly strong variety to begin with.  It doesn't bother some people, but I personally dislike it.  The flavor tastes kind of burnt to me, like the smell of slum gum leftover from melting wax.  If it was me, it would depend on how dark it is.  The way you are describing it, your comb would be on the line for me.  I'd be hesitant to use comb that could be described as brown, but I'd be okay with comb that's had a couple rounds of brood and isn't white or cream anymore.     

Thanks for the input, that is very similar to what I have read. Seems some people really like it, and some people don't at all which is understandable. I'm thinking it's worth giving it a go, with the lightest ones at least. I have never experienced the taste of honey from brood combs, but now I want to  :grin:

Gracious words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones. Proberbs 16:24

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2022, 02:43:08 pm »
Research showed that hone from brood combs had the same beneficial effects as Melaleuca honey which sells for outrageous amounts.  I think any perceived difference is an illusion.  The honey looks darker in the comb because of the cocoons.  But I don't see any difference when it is extracted.  I'm not saying there isn't any difference, because the above mentioned study actually says it's better for you...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2022, 02:45:52 pm »
The only real difference I have noticed is it is harder to uncap with my hobbyist methods..

Phillip
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline AustinB

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2022, 08:34:44 am »
Thanks for the input. Super went on yesterday

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2022, 08:38:40 am »
I think it is the thing to do.  It strengthens the comb and makes the frames perfectly even.  Space the frames out a little bit and there will be about 1/8 inch of fresh wax and that will make it so easy to uncap.  I think the only way you will affect the taste of the honey is if you used chemicals on the brood previously.  I have had people tell me that the mead I made is the best that they have ever experienced.  I attribute that to no chemicals and a blend of NY nectars.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline yes2matt

• Field Bee
  • Urban setting, no acaricides
    • Love Me Some Honey
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2022, 04:07:56 pm »
It makes for good cooking honey.

Y'all  brood comb honey fans can't taste it?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2022, 10:05:05 pm »
I always end up with several old dark brood frames that are full of honey to bee extracted. It looks dark but once it is extracted it is the same as the rest of the honey. I really would not worry about light colored comb.
I do try to cull out the really dark comb when I find it. I usually put it in a separate box to use for swarm traps.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2022, 12:07:19 am »
I always end up with several old dark brood frames that are full of honey to bee extracted. It looks dark but once it is extracted it is the same as the rest of the honey. I really would not worry about light colored comb.
I do try to cull out the really dark comb when I find it. I usually put it in a separate box to use for swarm traps.
Jim Altmiller

I watched a video last night By Bob Binnie and Crew which described a certain type honey that was not good to taste. (Mountain Laurel). Which leads me to think, the type of plant nectar is gathered from may be more important than the type of comb it is placed in, in some cases??

Phillip
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Lesgold

• Queen Bee
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2022, 06:09:11 am »
This is the first year that I have used queen excluders. Up until that point, bees deposited honey in every type of frame. Most frames have held brood and often lots of it. I can?t taste any difference in the honey myself and have never worried about using old brood frames for honey. As Phillip said in an earlier post, old frames can be painful to uncap but that is the only issue that I have noticed. New buyers of my honey always end up coming back for more as they love the flavour. That in itself says a lot.

Cheers

Les

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2022, 07:11:51 am »
Acebird
Space the frames out a little bit and there will be about 1/8 inch of fresh wax and that will make it so easy to uncap.

Good idea Brian. I recall Eltalia posting that he loved fat combs for honey. He would put 9 frames in a 10 framed box, with the frames spaced apart. This should cure the uncapping problem as you described the new 1/8 inch of fresh wax added to these old combs.

Phillip

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2022, 07:28:52 am »
It makes for good cooking honey.

Y'all  brood comb honey fans can't taste it?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Im not saying I am a brood comb honey fan Matt for the reason stated, (uncapping). Sometimes it just happens that way as Les described when Queen Excluders are not used. Acebirds suggestion should cure that 'problem'.

Phillip

Offline beesnweeds

• House Bee
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2022, 10:09:05 am »
I can't tell any difference between honey I extracted from dark or light comb from the same super.  I also can't taste the difference between a $10 or a $100 bottle of wine.  If you're having trouble uncapping, it's probably time for a new knife.  I have good luck with the Jero double serrated knife, it has held its edge ever since I bought it 15 years ago.  I did get one of the pull uncapping forks and haven't tried it yet.  There's always heated uncapping knifes too.
Everyone loves a worker.... until its laying.

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2022, 11:19:20 am »
I watched a video last night By Bob Binnie and Crew which described a certain type honey that was not good to taste. (Mountain Laurel). Which leads me to think, the type of plant nectar is gathered from may be more important than the type of comb it is placed in, in some cases??
In my experience the comb has to be REALLY dark for it to affect the flavor to the point that I can't eat it.  Like, it has to be dark enough that melting it down for wax would be basically worthless because it's all just slumgum. 

Mountain laurel, along with the closely related rhododendron and azalea, actually produces nectar that is toxic to people, so it wouldn't surprise me that it doesn't taste good.  It's the famous "Mad Honey" that King Mithridates used to outwit the Romans in 97 BC.  Supposedly, he left bowls of mad honey in the path of the advancing Roman army and after eating it, they experienced delirium and exhaustion, enabling the king to slaughter them all.  :cool:  Thankfully honey bees don't prefer the nectar of these plants and will usually only gather from them with there is nothing else available.  The nectar is harmless to bees and even preferred by many species of natives.     
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2022, 11:28:28 am »
Reagan, I do not know to what extent the toxin might be but his bees are defiantly on it big time! I am thinking He is kind of in your area?  You might find this interesting.

https://youtu.be/l2k9EOJPyU0
« Last Edit: May 10, 2022, 12:07:38 pm by Ben Framed »

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2022, 11:31:37 am »
I can't tell any difference between honey I extracted from dark or light comb from the same super.  I also can't taste the difference between a $10 or a $100 bottle of wine.  If you're having trouble uncapping, it's probably time for a new knife.  I have good luck with the Jero double serrated knife, it has held its edge ever since I bought it 15 years ago.  I did get one of the pull uncapping forks and haven't tried it yet.  There's always heated uncapping knifes too.

Thanks Beesnweeds, I haven't tried the the Jero double serrated knife.
For added uncapping information, we had a good related discussion a while back Titled:'Lyson manual steam uncapper'. This topic covered 4 pages of discussion. I highly recommend it to anyone who might me interested.

Phillip

« Last Edit: May 10, 2022, 12:34:11 pm by Ben Framed »

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2022, 02:01:32 pm »
Reagan, I do not know to what extent the toxin might be but his bees are defiantly on it big time! I am thinking He is kind of in your area?  You might find this interesting.

https://youtu.be/l2k9EOJPyU0
VERY interesting.  I've never had any issues with producing a lot of rhodie or mountain laurel honey, but it's good to know that it's more of a problem when it's hot and dry.  Ours haven't started yet, so I'll keep an eye out for that if it keeps not raining much.  I also haven't seen hardly any desire to swarm in my colonies.  My sample size is of course much small than his, but I split all my colonies before they decided to swarm except for one, and that's not typical for me.  His flows are usually about 2-3 weeks ahead of me, but weirdly my cherries are over and his have just started.  Strange.     

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2022, 02:38:33 pm »
Reagan I think Mr Binnie said it had not rained there in 11 days. How long has it been in your specific location?

I have had very few swarms either. Only thing I have really done different is propping the top slightly open for ventilation  and providing honey supers before I thought they were really needed.

Phillip

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2022, 03:09:49 pm »
Reagan I think Mr Binnie said it had not rained there in 11 days. How long has it been in your specific location?
I'm not exactly sure.  We had a little bit of rain last week, but it wasn't anything significant and it was supposed to be.  It's been weeks since we had a day where it was raining steadily throughout the day. 

anything