Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Cleaning metal queen excluders  (Read 161 times)

Offline Lesgold

• House Bee
Cleaning metal queen excluders
« on: January 13, 2022, 06:07:29 pm »
Hi Folks

Just in cleanup mode now after finishing extracting honey from the latest flow. I?ve got a few queen excluders that look a bit like this

Offline Lesgold

• House Bee
Re: Cleaning metal queen excluders
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2022, 06:13:47 pm »
I?ve tried using scrapers but I end up getting old to quickly doing it that way. I know you can drop them on an open fire briefly but over time that can upset the galvanising. This is how I do it.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Just cover it in water and let it heat up. A couple of minutes later the water boils, the excluder is hooked out and dropped onto the ground. Any remaining wax is jarred off. A few can be done at the same time and the process can be repeated time and time again. This is the result

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

I am sure there are better ways of doing this and I would love to hear about them. Jobs like this are just time consuming tasks that have to be done from time to time.

Cheers

Les

Offline TheHoneyPump

• Queen Bee
  • Work Hard. Play Harder.
Cleaning metal queen excluders
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2022, 08:59:47 pm »
We just use a flat wide scraper, both sides.  We do not bother trying to clear the grate.  Especially not with a tool as it only takes a minimal bend to change the spacing and allow problems later.   When they need the space, The bees chew and remove the wax that is left. Figuring, if they can put it there, they can also remove it.
That said, the boiling water bath is the proper way to do it if one wanted an as new excluder.
Bees Buzz Bees Buzz Bees Buzz Bees Buzz Bees Buzz Bees Buzz Bees Buzz Bees Buzz Bees Buzz Bees Buzz Bees Buzz Bees Buzz Bees Buzz Bees Buzz Bees Buzz Bees Buzz Bees Buzz Bees Buzz Bees Buzz Bees Buzz

Offline beesnweeds

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2022, 11:44:19 pm »
 A friend of mine puts his excluders in a solar wax melter and they come out clean.  I use a heat gun sometimes.
Everyone loves a worker.... until its laying.

Offline Lesgold

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2022, 06:38:30 pm »
Hi beesnweeds,

I have tried the heat gun before and it does a reasonable job. The solar wax melter would be a good solution as you can walk away and leave it. This would cut the workload down.

Offline Oldbeavo

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2022, 05:53:58 am »
Hi Les
Don't bother with any more than a quick scrape, the bees will open up or add more wax as they wish.
HP is on the money, hot water bath if you want to or have the spare time.

Online Brian MCquilkin

• House Bee
    • Ideal Honey Bees
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2022, 12:44:29 pm »
Don't really clean them much at all if I do it is just the flat part on the outside of the edge.  If I find one that is really bad I might run a flat 4" flat scraper down both sides. I never clean in between the wires.
Despite my efforts the bees are doing great

Offline Lesgold

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2022, 03:40:11 pm »
Thanks for the feedback guys. Apart from using queen excluders for producing a bit of comb honey, I have never used them in the past. This is the first year where I have placed them on all of my hives.