Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Bee/Pollinator Magazine Recommendations  (Read 1181 times)

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
Bee/Pollinator Magazine Recommendations
« on: January 07, 2022, 01:40:07 pm »
I'm toying around with purchasing a subscription to a bee/pollinator magazine this year.  If you could subscribe to just one bee or pollinator focused magazine, which one would it be?   
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline beesnweeds

• House Bee
Re: Bee/Pollinator Magazine Recommendations
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2022, 01:55:20 pm »
I currently subscribe to Bee Culture and American Bee Journal.  If I had to pick one it would be ABJ.
Everyone loves a worker.... until its laying.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2022, 05:10:02 pm »
Bee Culture is geared more towards a hobbyist  and American Bee Journal is geared towards a commercial beekeeper.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline beesnweeds

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2022, 06:02:37 pm »
Bee Culture is geared more towards a hobbyist  and American Bee Journal is geared towards a commercial beekeeper.
Jim Altmiller

Ive often heard that said and Im not a commercial beekeeper.  Nothing against Bee Culture and Jerry Hayes was a huge improvement over Kim Flottum, but my beekeeping wouldn't be as successful if it wasn't for Randy Oliver, Wyatt Mangum, Rusty Burlew, Alison McAfee, Jamie Ellis and many others that contribute.  The history coverage by Peter L Borst is always excellent and keeps me glued to the page.  More bang for the buck.
Everyone loves a worker.... until its laying.

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2022, 05:56:48 pm »
 For me I. Would say Bee Culture..

BEE HAPPY  Jim134   :smile:
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2022, 07:35:01 pm »
    If I  Lived in New England.. This is the Bee magazine I would get..  This magazine is aimed at.. Smaller beekeepers And also has very similar weather conditions..

https://www.bbka.org.uk/bbka-news-and-media

BEE HAPPY  Jim134   :smile:

"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

Offline NigelP

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2022, 06:31:53 am »
Well living in England It's not a magazine I would subscribe to, a bit parochial. I get an imported copy of ABJ. IMHO a much better tome of science and practical advice. Worth the money just to hear Randy's struggles with pollen substitutes.

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2022, 02:17:31 pm »
Hm, so it seems like a toss-up between Bee Culture and the ABJ.  On the one hand, I like the sound of the contributors to the ABJ, but on the other hand, I can get most of their articles on their websites for free if I just wait a little longer.  I'll compare the price difference between the two as well.  It's a tough decision.   
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.