Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: New , very easily to bee fooled scam. Beware.  (Read 419 times)

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
New , very easily to bee fooled scam. Beware.
« on: November 02, 2021, 09:22:30 am »
Here is a scam that is now being used to steal your money.
The minute they sask for your pin or password, it is time to hang up.

BEWARE, FRIENDS: I almost fell for this very sophisticated debit card scam. Here's how it goes: got a call, the caller ID was my bank. The guy says he's from the fraud dept, calling about my debit card ending in ----(the 4 correct numbers), and asks if i'd been traveling, reports 2 suspicious charges that happened at out-of-state stores (Lowe's and Walmart). I said nope, wasn't me. He says they'll send me a new card. He knows my address. He knows all my phone numbers. He sends a verification code to my cell and asks me to read it to him. THEN HE ASKS FOR MY PIN NUMBER, so he can deactivate it. That's where I said "no." But he has an answer for my suspicions: he says look at the number I'm calling from, it matches the number on the back of your card. It does! But still, then I said let me call you back and he hung up! I reported this to my bank's fraud dept, who said WE WOULD NEVER ASK FOR YOUR PIN NUMBER. (And immediately cancelled my card.) They also said this is the new scam, they're hearing about it a lot.    Tell everyone!
I knew also right away because as I was on the call... I checked with my identity protection service because I would have gotten an alert from my service before this call ever came. No alert found. My scam radar was screaming.
Be careful out there guys these scammers are very tech savvy these days.

Bee careful.
Jim Altmiller

Offline Kathyp

• Universal Bee
Re: New , very easily to bee fooled scam. Beware.
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2021, 12:07:57 pm »
Thanks!  They are getting very clever. 
There is no week nor day nor hour when tyranny may not enter upon this country, if the people lose their roughness and spirit of defiance.? --Walt Whitman

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2021, 03:37:19 pm »
Thanks Jim
If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14 KJV

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • No longer keeping bees
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2021, 09:05:20 am »
Never give any personal information to anyone unless you called them first.  But first verify who you are calling.  Jim did it right.  Get their name, title, or employee # and call them back.  Another one might be, "please stay on the line, I want to trace where this call is coming from".
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2021, 02:29:00 pm »
It amazes me that the phone companies allow people to spoof numbers, but they do.  I get spam calls all the time from local numbers (or area numbers) only to have some person with a thick Indian accent telling me that my car warrently failed or my Google business listing is expiring or my Direct TV is overdue etc.  I have none of these so I know they are lying.  But I'm also pretty sure they are in Mumbai or Deli or Sri Lanka...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin