Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Something else to consider-becoming the crazy prepper  (Read 15927 times)

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Something else to consider-becoming the crazy prepper
« Reply #240 on: January 16, 2022, 12:59:47 pm »
Still want to know what you consider long term disruption and shortages.

That's probably a subjective call.  I have done disasters where people were unprepared to survive for 3 days, and some where people could have gone on for weeks.

The extreme would be something like a solar flare or EMP that took out power for months or more.  On the short end, it would be my mothers friend who was snowed in for over a week with the power out unable to get to the store, water frozen, and no heat.

Anyone who thinks this kind of thing can't happen in our country, or can't happen to them where they live, is delusional. 
There is no week nor day nor hour when tyranny may not enter upon this country, if the people lose their roughness and spirit of defiance.? --Walt Whitman

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Super Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #241 on: January 16, 2022, 05:53:12 pm »
I agree with Kathy, there are many scenarios where having extra food on hand would be helpful, especially for a large family like mine.  I think COVID has shown us how unreliable the grocery store can be, with shortages due to supply chain issues and panic hoarding.  My family just simply doesn't feel comfortable having only enough food for a week or two on hand any more.  Any natural or societal disaster could lead to food or other necessities becoming temporarily inaccessible, and we feel it's prudent to be as self-sufficient as possible. 

Even with the issue of losing a freezer during a long power outage aside, we can have way more food on hand which is way easier to prepare if it's freeze dried than if it's in the freezer.  For my large family, even 3 freezers, which is what we have now, isn't enough room.  We've got meat, garden produce, milk, normal frozen groceries, pollen, and I need room in a freezer to freeze bee boxes before storage.  If we can get some of that food out of the freezers and onto the shelves, then we can use the freezer for things that can't really be freeze dried, like bread. 

In addition, let's say no disaster ever happens, (which has already proven untrue with COVID, but hypothetically), it's so much more convenient to have the food just on the shelf ready to go.  For example, we have a goat who is going to kid any day now.  Let's say she has her babies overnight tonight, in the cold and the snow, we're all exhausted from being up all night, and we've been out in the barn all day, and now we've got to get some supper together.  Mom could walk out to the freezer in the garage and get a pan of lasagna, heat up the oven, and let it bake for an hour or two.  Or, she could take some freeze dried lasagna off the shelf, add some boiling water to it, and it's ready to eat in 15 minutes.  Yes, it's a lot of money and work up front for the freeze dried food, but the payoff is homemade, nutritious, delicious food at tremendous convenience later, and some food security to boot. 

I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • No longer keeping bees
« Reply #242 on: January 17, 2022, 09:12:48 am »
On the short end, it would be my mothers friend who was snowed in for over a week with the power out unable to get to the store, water frozen, and no heat.

Anyone who thinks this kind of thing can't happen in our country, or can't happen to them where they live, is delusional.
I lived through one of those when I was a kid.  My father tended the fireplace all night then went to work during the day.  We were able to keep the pipes from freezing which is not easy with a fireplace although it did have a heatalator.  This was before kerosene heaters became a fad.
Today it is easy as long as you do the minimal preparation.  You can't run to the store during a panic, you can't get fuel during a panic, you can't buy a generator when the power goes out.  Most of the crisis today is created by panic and lack of planning not the actual disaster.
If a freeze dryer makes you happy then you should get one but I put it in the category of "wants" not "needs" like an over priced truck to power your house.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #243 on: January 17, 2022, 11:43:47 am »
I lived through one of those when I was a kid.  My father tended the fireplace all night then went to work during the day.  We were able to keep the pipes from freezing which is not easy with a fireplace although it did have a heatalator.  This was before kerosene heaters became a fad.
Today it is easy as long as you do the minimal preparation.  You can't run to the store during a panic, you can't get fuel during a panic, you can't buy a generator when the power goes out.  Most of the crisis today is created by panic and lack of planning not the actual disaster.
If a freeze dryer makes you happy then you should get one but I put it in the category of "wants" not "needs" like an over priced truck to power your house.

That's great prep for the short term.  Everyone should at least be able to survive for a week on their own.  If, for instance, we had a Carrington Event =, we could have parts of the country out of power for months.  An intentional attack could be as bad if not worse.  This is interesting and worth at least a scan.
https://www.swpc.noaa.gov/sites/default/files/images/u33/finalBoulderPresentation042611%20%281%29.pdf

Nothing is a need until you need it.  If we prepare and do not need it, nothing is lost but some money. 
There is no week nor day nor hour when tyranny may not enter upon this country, if the people lose their roughness and spirit of defiance.? --Walt Whitman

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • No longer keeping bees
« Reply #244 on: January 18, 2022, 09:04:51 am »
There is no amount of individual preparation that is going to make a real difference if there is a world changing event.  It will come down to how much money you have and whether you can access it.  The only real peppers in my mind are those that are hoarding gold.  The problem with that activity is the ability to trade it for what you need in the case of a world event.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #245 on: January 18, 2022, 10:50:07 am »
There is no amount of individual preparation that is going to make a real difference if there is a world changing event.  It will come down to how much money you have and whether you can access it.  The only real peppers in my mind are those that are hoarding gold.  The problem with that activity is the ability to trade it for what you need in the case of a world event.

Money would not matter at that point.  It would be worthless.  There are lots of things that can be used for barter if it came to that.  Gold, silver, ammo, food, fuel...

You are correct that there might be events that are not survivable.  Short of those events, there's no harm in upping the odds of survival in a disaster.  If you choose not to, that's OK.  I am all about choices and the following consequences or rewards of those choices.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • No longer keeping bees
« Reply #246 on: January 19, 2022, 08:14:47 am »
You are correct that there might be events that are not survivable.  Short of those events, there's no harm in upping the odds of survival in a disaster.
LOL it takes money to prepare.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #247 on: January 19, 2022, 10:38:37 am »
LOL it takes money to prepare.

Doesn't have to take much.  You can store dry goods for a long time without spending much.  I started my first bucket of survival food by picking up an extra bag or two of beans or dried soup mix when I went shopping.  That's about an extra 2 dollars.  Water storage containers are cheap and sometimes free.  I got 50-gallon food-grade water containers for 20 dollars each.  They smell like vinegar, but if that's the only water I have, I don't think the smell will bother. 

You can do what you think is important.  If this is not important to you, then don't bother.  No one is going to force you to do it.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • No longer keeping bees
« Reply #248 on: January 19, 2022, 01:36:53 pm »
You either have to spend an enormous amount of time and or groceries that a large percentage of the country doesn't have.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #249 on: January 19, 2022, 02:53:46 pm »
You either have to spend an enormous amount of time and or groceries that a large percentage of the country doesn't have.

No you don't.  Even if you did, we tend to make time and money for things we think are important.  I already told you how I started putting things away and it was not at all expensive or time consuming.  I wonder sometimes if you actually read stuff, or just keep spouting your incorrect talking points?

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • No longer keeping bees
« Reply #250 on: January 20, 2022, 08:35:48 am »

No you don't.  Even if you did, ...
Well which side of the fence do you want to argue?
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #251 on: January 20, 2022, 01:15:04 pm »
Well which side of the fence do you want to argue?

Neither.  Do or don't do.  Your choice.

Offline salvo

• Field Bee
« Reply #252 on: January 25, 2022, 11:31:04 pm »
Hi Folks,

I saw this today:

Sal
Salvo

Offline salvo

• Field Bee
« Reply #253 on: January 27, 2022, 09:20:25 am »
Hi Folks,

You thought that Norway guy was.... well.... in NORWAY! Never happen here, RIGHT?

Prepping is more than just enough food.

BTW: More What's Cooking pictures please. We got SNOWMAGEDDON coming. I gotta go get bread and milk. OH! And oatmeal.

Also: Thanks Ben for keeping some of my posts,... how you say,... polite. I have to find more obscure ways to curse.

Sal
Salvo

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • No longer keeping bees
« Reply #254 on: January 28, 2022, 09:38:22 am »
LOL.  Well Sal I guess you better not buy that new electric Ford truck and just drive junkers the rest of your life.
Every state would have to have monthly inspections to assure this tell tale feature is still active and running right.  There are not enough unemployed technicians in the country to make that happen.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Super Bee
« Reply #255 on: January 28, 2022, 03:15:07 pm »
BTW: More What's Cooking pictures please. We got SNOWMAGEDDON coming. I gotta go get bread and milk. OH! And oatmeal.
Stay tuned, Sal!  We're having chicken and dumplings tonight.  :cool:  The freeze dryer has enabled us to seriously step up our oatmeal game.  We now keep all our oatmeal additives on a tray so that we can easily setup the oatmeal buffet every morning.   

We recently went ahead and purchased a handheld Foodsaver and the attachments for ball jars, so we can seal our freeze dried foods in jars for short term storage (a couple years).  Through doing some more looking at it, we found there is no benefit to vacuum sealing over oxygen absorbers and mylar, and the oxygen absorbers and mylar will last much longer, so we probably won't be getting a chamber or baggie sealer, as it seems to be redundant.   
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Super Bee
« Reply #256 on: February 11, 2022, 01:45:05 pm »
We packaged up our first food in mylar for long term storage yesterday: hamburger barbeque.  We are planning on storing it on the shelf for at least a year before opening it up to see how it is. 
[ You are not allowed to view attachments ] 

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #257 on: February 11, 2022, 02:29:53 pm »
That looks great.  How did the avocados dry? and how do you rehydrate something like that?  Did you do anything to the jars to remove air?

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Super Bee
« Reply #258 on: February 11, 2022, 02:57:58 pm »
That looks great.  How did the avocados dry? and how do you rehydrate something like that?  Did you do anything to the jars to remove air?
You're not understanding the picture.  The avocados are just the picture on the bag.  Harvest Right gives you fancy bags for free, most company's are just mylar colored.  You can do avocados though.  Mom was watching a video the other day where Retired at 40 did avocadoes and then ran them through the food processor to make avocado powder for guacamole.  You could also just rehydrate them in water as slices if you wanted probably.  We do store some freeze dried food in vacuum sealed jars for short term storage. 
[ You are not allowed to view attachments ] 

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #259 on: February 11, 2022, 03:22:27 pm »
Lol.  Oh good.  I was curious about raspberries and bbq, but I figured to each their own!   :cheesy:

Thanks for the clarification.