Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Something else to consider-becoming the crazy prepper  (Read 16145 times)

Offline salvo

• Field Bee
Re: Something else to consider-becoming the crazy prepper
« Reply #180 on: December 18, 2021, 03:53:33 pm »
Hi Folks,

Nothin' new in the world

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Sal
Salvo

Online The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Super Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #181 on: December 18, 2021, 04:50:38 pm »
Hi Folks,

Nothin' new in the world

Sal
:cheesy: :cheesy:
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #182 on: December 18, 2021, 06:30:32 pm »
Kathy
See, we do agree sometimes.
Cheers
gww

:grin:  I suspect that we agree more often than either of us know.
There is no week nor day nor hour when tyranny may not enter upon this country, if the people lose their roughness and spirit of defiance.? --Walt Whitman

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • No longer keeping bees
« Reply #183 on: December 19, 2021, 08:38:07 am »
Hey we agree!  For the rest of it I prefer natural foods in their natural state so I would never freeze dry my food for any reason.  For the most part they are just high priced toys.

For most of the history of the world people were forced to buy food in its "natural state".  Food poisoning of one kind or another was common.  There was no way to preserve food, so people starved when harvests were not good and game was scarce.  I am guessing that you don't actually eat food in its natural state and that you have both a refrigerator and freezer along with some canned and dried goods. 

When I look at what I have, my question is "How long will this last if there is no other source of food?".  Freeze drying seems like a reasonable way to extend not only the varieties, but the shelf life.
Well let me explain the words.  I said, "I prefer foods in their natural state."  That means I'm not going to take wholesome foods and intentionally ruin it.
I don't worry about "no other food source" because I am surrounded by republicans that will shoot their neighbors protecting their stash.  If I survive that there will be plenty of fresh kill to eat assuming the alligators don't get there first.
Let me try to explain something else.  In a famine it is not the one who has the largest hoard of food that survives it is the one with the most money to buy the food that remains in existence.  Guns are useless in a famine unless you plan on eating it.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #184 on: December 19, 2021, 11:38:36 am »
In a famine it is not the one who has the largest hoard of food that survives it is the one with the most money to buy the food that remains in existence.  Guns are useless in a famine unless you plan on eating it.

There's some truth in that, but there are plenty of other reasons one might lose access to food.  And yes, I would shoot someone who did not prepare, to protect what I put aside.  I don't think that's a political party position.  It's just common sense. 
we all make choices and live (or die) by those choices.
There is no week nor day nor hour when tyranny may not enter upon this country, if the people lose their roughness and spirit of defiance.? --Walt Whitman

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • No longer keeping bees
« Reply #185 on: December 20, 2021, 09:18:57 am »
And yes, I would shoot someone who did not prepare, to protect what I put aside.
So you would live a few moments longer then one who didn't prepare, maybe...
The long term solution is to fine another source or way to create more food.  That will likely happen in a community that shares with a common goal.  Very unlikely it will happen with a person who relies on the power of a gun.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #186 on: December 20, 2021, 01:26:37 pm »
So you would live a few moments longer then one who didn't prepare, maybe...
The long term solution is to fine another source or way to create more food.  That will likely happen in a community that shares with a common goal.  Very unlikely it will happen with a person who relies on the power of a gun.

Brian I am not understanding your reasoning here. In an emergency situation, there may not be resources available in a community, or time to find a new food source; let alone "create" one. What kind of food do you suppose a community can "create" in an emergency situation?
« Last Edit: December 20, 2021, 01:38:39 pm by Ben Framed »
If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14 KJV

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #187 on: December 20, 2021, 01:29:20 pm »
Member, have you ran a batch of water in order to have plenty of dehydrated water on hand as Sal has pictured?  :wink: :shocked:

That was a good one Sal..
If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14 KJV

Offline CoolBees

• Queen Bee
« Reply #188 on: December 20, 2021, 01:44:45 pm »

History is replete with lessons that prove your statement false. Ask the Plymouth colonists (only one example) - the first year they operated with "a common goal". They starved, and many died. The 2nd year they operated with "individual goals". With the help of the Indians**, the harvest was bountiful that year - and they celebrated with a big meal, now known as Thanksgiving.

History does not support your statement - but it's an ideology that keeps getting dreamily pushed, to the detriment of all humankind.

** Indians - Native Americans - for those with a need for modern political speak.
You cannot permanently help men by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves - Abraham Lincoln

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #189 on: December 20, 2021, 02:09:58 pm »
Cool Your post reminds me of just how efficient our forbears, (pioneers), were of being independant and prepping for basic survival 'just a short time ago', when as related to mankinds' time. And just how dependent we, as a society have become on one another in most of the modernized world, as a world wide community, for food and goods.

New Orleans was a huge community yet when the tragedy of Katrina hit the community was helpless in that emergency. Not all homes and businesses were completely under water. Many people were trapped in second story dewing places, those who were fortunate enough to have such. A good supply of stored water would be first as Kathy pointed out towards the beginning of this thread.

Which brings us back to the thoughts of this topic: "Something else to consider-becoming the crazy prepper"

Adding: We might consider a spin off topic discussing Aces' points of intent, which has nothing to do with individual people or families being prepared, but a loaded question, in my opinion, to swing politics back onto this topic without himself taking the blame for doing so. lol 
:wink: 
« Last Edit: December 20, 2021, 05:31:56 pm by Ben Framed »

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #190 on: December 20, 2021, 02:17:43 pm »
New Orleans was a huge community yet when the tragedy of Katrina hit the community was helpless.

And it didn't need to be because they had plenty of warning.  We have come to expect that if bad things happen, someone will jump in a fix it RIGHT NOW!!  Doesn't work that way even in relatively small disasters like Katrina.  It's not going to work when something bigger happens.

Online The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Super Bee
« Reply #191 on: December 20, 2021, 02:30:51 pm »
Member, have you ran a batch of water in order to have plenty of dehydrated water on hand as Sal has pictured?  :wink: :shocked:

Oh certainly.  It's amazing how much water comes out of water when you dehydrate it!  And the best thing is it takes literally no space to store!!   :wink: :cheesy:
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #192 on: December 20, 2021, 02:36:42 pm »

Oh certainly.  It's amazing how much water comes out of water when you dehydrate it!  And the best thing is it takes literally no space to store!!   :wink: :cheesy:

:wink:

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #193 on: December 20, 2021, 02:53:33 pm »
Ben Framed:
>New Orleans was a huge community yet when the tragedy of Katrina hit the community was helpless.

KathyP
>And it didn't need to be because they had plenty of warning.  We have come to expect that if bad things happen, someone will jump in a fix it RIGHT NOW!!  Doesn't work that way even in relatively small disasters like Katrina.  It's not going to work when something bigger happens.

I agree... Your point is well taken Kathy.. This topic has had some interesting points made, suggestions, strategies, and methods of being prepared...

Your topic is a good one in my opinion. Most likely we are just scratching the surface with ideas and discussion of things to consider which may help to be prepared?
« Last Edit: December 30, 2021, 09:26:45 pm by Ben Framed »

Online The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Super Bee
« Reply #194 on: December 20, 2021, 03:06:53 pm »
History is replete with lessons that prove your statement false. Ask the Plymouth colonists (only one example) - the first year they operated with "a common goal". They starved, and many died. The 2nd year they operated with "individual goals". With the help of the Indians**, the harvest was bountiful that year - and they celebrated with a big meal, now known as Thanksgiving.

History does not support your statement - but it's an ideology that keeps getting dreamily pushed, to the detriment of all humankind.

** Indians - Native Americans - for those with a need for modern political speak.
The same thing happened in Jamestowne, Virginia until Smith instituted "He who does not work does not eat".  Aesop's The Ant and the Grasshopper comes to mind. 

Offline CoolBees

• Queen Bee
« Reply #195 on: December 20, 2021, 07:22:46 pm »

:cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy:

Getting back on topic with this thread - pls share (when you can) what else you come up with 15th. Very good/informative thread - thank you!
You cannot permanently help men by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves - Abraham Lincoln

Online The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Super Bee
« Reply #196 on: December 20, 2021, 07:41:12 pm »
Getting back on topic with this thread - pls share (when you can) what else you come up with 15th. Very good/informative thread - thank you!
Will do.  We are taking a break here because we are busy getting ready for Christmas.  We've got several days of baking ahead of us.  But the next batch we are planning on doing is candy.  For New Years Eve we always get candy from a local store that has bulk candy out in barrels, so you can fill up a bag with however much of whatever you like.  But due to COVID they haven't been doing the candy like that, this year or last, so we're going to freeze dry a big variety of candy to try on New Years Eve while we're staying up. 

Last night my sister invented something amazing with the ice cream sandwiches (drum roll please) . . . DESSERT CEREAL!  If we take the little freeze dried ice cream sandwich bites, cut them in half, put them in a bowl, and pour milk over them and eat them like cereal, they partially rehydrate in the milk, and it's SOOO GOOD!!  It's like my new favorite quickie desert.  :grin:

After New Years we'll start on the big guns: Freeze drying whole meals and staples and experimenting with how they rehydrate and how best to store them long term. 

Which reminds me, we don't have a vacuum sealer, and I picked up through this discussion that some of you do.  My mom has just started looking at them.  We have mylar bags and oxygen absorbers that came with the freeze dryer, and we're not really sure if that system needs or could benefit from a vacuum sealer yet, or if we'll like using that method of storage at all.  Those of you that have vacuum sealers, what kind do you have?  Do you like it?  What do you use it for?   

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #197 on: December 20, 2021, 07:49:17 pm »
I have the Foodsaver.  Costco had them on sale a few years ago and so I got the super-duper one with canisters and stuff.  I use it for garden produce that I want to freeze and if we get a good deal on something for the freezer.  Also good for things you want to ship somewhere and even for smallish things you want to pack. 

Pretty much anything that isn't pointy that you want to save.  I did a bunch of squash and whipped and froze some eggs this year.  If you are going to do wet things like berries and eggs, make sure you get one that will handle liquids well.  Some of them are not so good at that and make a mess.

Online BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #198 on: December 20, 2021, 08:13:33 pm »
We use a seal a meal.

We use it for vegetables from Judy?s garden and meat.
What is nice about this one is that it has a port that you can use for canning jars.
I bought Judy the lids caps accessories, for Christmas  to be able to vacuum seal jars. I?m hoping it all fits together.
Jim Altmiller

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #199 on: December 20, 2021, 10:07:09 pm »
>We have mylar bags and oxygen absorbers that came with the freeze dryer, and we're not really sure if that system needs or could benefit from a vacuum sealer yet

That was going to be my question too. From what I understand about your type system, the freeze dried food is good for 25 years. I am wondering if you do add vacuum sealing before placing in the mylar bag, will it eliminate the need for aid of oxygen absorbers?

PS The ice cream desert sounds good!
« Last Edit: December 20, 2021, 10:41:11 pm by Ben Framed »