Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Something else to consider-becoming the crazy prepper  (Read 16144 times)

Online The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Super Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
Re: Something else to consider-becoming the crazy prepper
« Reply #160 on: December 17, 2021, 01:13:34 pm »
The15thMember don't take it personal. Ace is also a avid arguer.  :cheesy: If there is one thing he loves more than bees, it's arguing! It doesn't matter if he is right or wrong. He doesn't let a little thing like that stand in his way, (no ma'am), just as long as he can get a little gab our of you.    :shocked: :wink: :cool: 

And what better place to stir up a little foray than here at the coffeehouse in the morning?.... :wink: :cool:  You got to love him! Bless his heart...   :grin:

I must admit, I got a good laugh out of it, because his insistence to be negative about something that everyone else has been finding so positive was just so ridiculous.  Only someone who truly loves arguing for arguing's sake would continue on the same path so heedlessly.  I won't pretend to understand the sick pleasure he gets from his trolling, but each to his own I suppose.  :wink:     

:cheesy:
« Last Edit: December 17, 2021, 01:26:53 pm by The15thMember »
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline CoolBees

• Queen Bee
« Reply #161 on: December 17, 2021, 04:04:39 pm »
So - I have a curious question: What would happen if you freeze-dried honey?
You cannot permanently help men by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves - Abraham Lincoln

Online The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Super Bee
« Reply #162 on: December 17, 2021, 04:15:52 pm »
My sister asked that too, and I'm not exactly sure, but there would be no point in it, as honey is already shelf-stable basically forever.  But just for curiosity's sake, if honey is approximately 18% water, and you took all that water out, what would happen to it?  My guess would be it would become extremely viscous.  I wonder if the sugars would come out of solution, and if it would crystallize?   
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #163 on: December 17, 2021, 04:27:22 pm »
You two have introduced an interesting twist. To be successful in the process honey would first have to freeze completely in order to be freeze dried. Or would it? Will honey become completely frozen at that temperature?
If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14 KJV

Offline cidersabuzzin

• Super Bee
  • vroom... vroom... but more like phut! phut!
« Reply #164 on: December 17, 2021, 04:46:28 pm »
I think a post went astray or even diverted....just saying :wink:
Sorry iddee :smile:
« Last Edit: December 17, 2021, 05:00:22 pm by cidersabuzzin »
What's good for bees is usually good for mankind. Doesn't that mean sharing?

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #165 on: December 17, 2021, 04:54:10 pm »

Well I saw your name at the bottom of who's online and I though I would take a pick at you hoping for a response. But I rethought the post I made, and took it down, as I did not want to take a chance of offending you...  Sincerely I say; Merry Christmas Old Friend!!

Phillip
If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14 KJV

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #166 on: December 17, 2021, 05:08:03 pm »
Sorry iddee :smile:

Oh don't worry about iddee, he has been posting here behind your back. lol  :wink: :shocked:  You did not break the pact you two made together to leave, HE DID lol :wink: 

PS, But Im glad he did. It would not be the same in the coffeehouse without you 'two' rascals , Remember 'One' did not make the show or a team. It was the 'Three' Stooges' who made the 'team' and the show a success !!

One more PS
Merry Christmas to you too iddee! :grin:

« Last Edit: December 18, 2021, 01:26:43 pm by Ben Framed »

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #167 on: December 17, 2021, 05:10:55 pm »
The15thMember,  We have strived in keeping this particular topic, on topic. I am sure to hear from Ace on this. I promise we will get back on track... (it may take a post or two) :wink: Thank you for your patience!

Phillip

Offline CoolBees

• Queen Bee
« Reply #168 on: December 17, 2021, 06:02:55 pm »
Regarding freeze-dried honey - I've no idea if it would work - but little "honey cubes" would be cool.  :grin: Anyways ... just thoughts ....

(I gotta get me one of those machines ... I'd be trying to freeze-dry everything - maybe even the cat ...  :shocked::cool:
You cannot permanently help men by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves - Abraham Lincoln

Offline CoolBees

• Queen Bee
« Reply #169 on: December 17, 2021, 06:03:56 pm »
Regarding freeze-dried honey - I've no idea if it would work - but little "honey cubes" would be cool.  :grin: Anyways ... just thoughts ....

(I gotta get me one of those machines ... I'd be trying to freeze-dry everything - maybe even the cat ...  :shocked::cool:

... or a bunny ... Definitely a bunny!  :cool: :cool: :cool:

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #170 on: December 17, 2021, 06:07:58 pm »

> Regarding freeze-dried honey - I've no idea if it would work - but little "honey cubes" would be cool.  :grin: Anyways ... just thoughts ....

A Good thought too cool! I would love to have freeze dried honey as well!... What a treat! Maybe Reagan will make a go at it just to see what happens?

> (I gotta get me one of those machines ... I'd be trying to freeze-dry everything - maybe even the cat ...  :shocked::cool:

:shocked:  I'm with you Alan!  (excluding the cat)! lol
« Last Edit: December 18, 2021, 12:51:48 am by Ben Framed »

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #171 on: December 17, 2021, 06:10:40 pm »
If honey would work. I would think sorghum would as well, or it should?
« Last Edit: December 17, 2021, 06:43:26 pm by Ben Framed »

Online The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Super Bee
« Reply #172 on: December 17, 2021, 07:24:06 pm »
The15thMember,  We have strived in keeping this particular topic, on topic. I am sure to hear from Ace on this. I promise we will get back on track... (it may take a post or two) :wink: Thank you for your patience!

Phillip
It's fine.  I know what I'm getting into when I post down here.  There's always going to be some off-topic yik-yaking in the coffee house.   :grin:

... or a bunny ... Definitely a bunny!  :cool: :cool: :cool:
I'm just going to ignore the comment about the cat. . . . :angry:  :wink:  :cheesy:  But we'll definitely be freeze drying some rabbit really soon, so I'll give you the juicy (or I guess not juicy, since it's dried  :cheesy:) details on that one. 

So I did some looking about honey and it's as I suspected.  Honey is a supersaturated liquid, basically meaning that it has so many solids (in this case sugar) dissolved in it that under normal circumstances it would already be a solid.  For example, if you tried to stir sugar into water to make the solution only 18% water, it would never work, because you have WAY more sugar than water.  As a result honey doesn't ever technically freeze, it just gets more and more viscous as the temp. lowers.  Now it does undergo a glass transition at about -50F, where the molecules would rearrange and the honey would cease to flow, but I don't know if the freeze dryer goes that low (the preset freeze temp is -10F for the freeze cycle, although you can change it).  The other thing is that substances like honey that form amorphous solids, or "glasses", have different properties, so I'm not sure how the honey would react to the drying process even if you could get it to form a glass, and I'm not sure what would happen to it once the temperature rose again.

Edit: I just thought of another reason why this would be especially pointless.  So if I were to freeze dry liquid Kool-Aid, the machine would suck all the water out and I'd be left with the powder I started with, which if I added the right amount of water to again, would turn back into Kool-Aid.  Well if I freeze dried the honey, and was left only with the sugar solids that are in the liquid honey, I could never rehydrate the honey and get it back to the way it was, because it's supersaturated.  This would mean that by freeze drying it, I'd essentially be permanently diluting it if I wanted it liquid ever again.  And if not, I'm left with dry sugar, which I could have just purchased at the store from Domino.  (Not literally, as it's not cane sugar, but you get the point.) 

Also obviously this process would probably destroy any of the delicate flavors and enzymes that make raw honey so good.           
« Last Edit: December 17, 2021, 07:52:03 pm by The15thMember »

Offline CoolBees

• Queen Bee
« Reply #173 on: December 17, 2021, 11:50:37 pm »
15th: what you, and your family, accomplish is amazing. ... as for freeze-dried cat and/or bunny ... I'm going to wait to respond. ... until I'm "sober" ... and they are dipped in chocolate.  :shocked: :cheesy: :cool: :cool: [Hehehe ... you know what I think about "rabbits"  :cool: :cool:]

P.S. - I looked at the calendar, and guess what day it is? It's "pick on 15th day" (expires in 4 hrs on the left coast). I've been waiting all year for this day! :cool:. Freeze dry me a bunny? ... a little one? ... dipped in chocolate?  :cool: :cool: :cool:

... on a serious note, all jokes aside: I love what your doing with the freeze dryer. Pls keep posting - very important education there. ..

Thanks again. CB.

Online The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Super Bee
« Reply #174 on: December 18, 2021, 12:03:02 am »
15th: what you, and your family, accomplish is amazing. ... as for freeze-dried cat and/or bunny ... I'm going to wait to respond. ... until I'm "sober" ... and they are dipped in chocolate.  :shocked: :cheesy: :cool: :cool: [Hehehe ... you know what I think about "rabbits"  :cool: :cool:]

P.S. - I looked at the calendar, and guess what day it is? It's "pick on 15th day" (expires in 4 hrs on the left coast). I've been waiting all year for this day! :cool:. Freeze dry me a bunny? ... a little one? ... dipped in chocolate?  :cool: :cool: :cool:

... on a serious note, all jokes aside: I love what your doing with the freeze dryer. Pls keep posting - very important education there. ..

Thanks again. CB.
:cheesy:  Don't worry, I'm from a big family, I can take a good ribbing for one day out of the year!  :cool:  :cheesy:  I'll have to check with the chef on the chocolate request, but we are planning on trying out freeze drying the leftovers of that sweet and sour rabbit we had the other night that you commented about on the cooking thread.  The food is shelf stable after all, maybe I could sneak a portion over your way!  :wink: :cheesy:  I do know how you love those bunnies, cute and delicious!   :tongue:   

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #175 on: December 18, 2021, 05:29:39 am »
Member,
I recommend that you try freezing some honey. My daughter bought me some dried cactus honey. It was in a powder form. I suspect it was freeze dried. It kept its flavor.
Jim Altmiller

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • No longer keeping bees
« Reply #176 on: December 18, 2021, 07:45:11 am »
My sister asked that too, and I'm not exactly sure, but there would be no point in it, as honey is already shelf-stable basically forever.
Hey we agree!  For the rest of it I prefer natural foods in their natural state so I would never freeze dry my food for any reason.  For the most part they are just high priced toys.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Online The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Super Bee
« Reply #177 on: December 18, 2021, 11:13:15 am »
Member,
I recommend that you try freezing some honey. My daughter bought me some dried cactus honey. It was in a powder form. I suspect it was freeze dried. It kept its flavor.
Jim Altmiller
I looked up powdered honey because of your comment, and now you that mention it, I remember some of the long term food storage companies selling it.  (I kind of glossed over it because we would never have needed to purchased any.)  Apparently most powdered honey is simply heat dried, not freeze dried, which I guess makes sense, since the honey doesn't need to be frozen to preserve it through the drying process.  Apparently some people like powdered honey because it can be used in baked goods in the same ratio as dry sugar in recipes where the extra water in the honey would be a problem, and it's also used in some cosmetics because the powdered honey doesn't make the final product sticky.  Maybe I'll run a batch through the machine just for science sometime.  :rolleyes:  Although, to use Ace's term, I think I'd prefer to leave my honey in its natural state.  :happy: 

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #178 on: December 18, 2021, 12:22:05 pm »
Hey we agree!  For the rest of it I prefer natural foods in their natural state so I would never freeze dry my food for any reason.  For the most part they are just high priced toys.

For most of the history of the world people were forced to buy food in its "natural state".  Food poisoning of one kind or another was common.  There was no way to preserve food, so people starved when harvests were not good and game was scarce.  I am guessing that you don't actually eat food in its natural state and that you have both a refrigerator and freezer along with some canned and dried goods. 

When I look at what I have, my question is "How long will this last if there is no other source of food?".  Freeze drying seems like a reasonable way to extend not only the varieties, but the shelf life.

There is no week nor day nor hour when tyranny may not enter upon this country, if the people lose their roughness and spirit of defiance.? --Walt Whitman

Online gww

• Super Bee
« Reply #179 on: December 18, 2021, 02:22:23 pm »
Kathy
See, we do agree sometimes.
Cheers
gww