Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Something else to consider-becoming the crazy prepper  (Read 16144 times)

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
Re: Something else to consider-becoming the crazy prepper
« Reply #60 on: September 03, 2021, 10:43:13 am »
Take into consideration the moon rover and other solar assisted powered stuff we have had on the moon and are using on Mars. Technology is far advanced. To what extent could  this technology benefit us today in being prepared? Or off the grid as Member suggest?
If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14 KJV

Online The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Super Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #61 on: September 03, 2021, 11:59:06 am »
Take into consideration the moon rover and other solar assisted powered stuff we have had on the moon and are using on Mars. Technology is far advanced. To what extent could  this technology benefit us today in being prepared? Or off the grid as Member suggest?
Space exploration has been the testing and proving ground for much of our technological advancement, and I'd imagine solar is no different in that respect.  There is no doubt that solar technology is better today than it was, say, 20 years ago.  Batteries too, which are usually a big bulk of the cost of a solar setup.  My family is particularly interested in the bi-directional charging of some of the new electric vehicles that are coming out, like the Ford Lightning.  That way you can use the truck for transportation and also as at least part of a battery array. 

That's right Brian, as we were discussing earlier. This is the reason I was asking about running a freezer on solar panels without the need for batteries.

Not possible.  You don't get a lot of sun during a hurricane

As discussed in the big picture of this topic; There may be different reasons, thoughts, and frames of mind why some folks may wish to be prepared. Emergency situations are one. It is not usually during an event such as a hurricane that you just mentioned, or an ice storm which has also been mentioned that have the need for emergency electricity. It is the aftermath. For example, the ice storm of 94 was late February. Although the damage was done, within a few days the sun was out shining and temps began rising, yet electrical power was out for a week at our residence. We were among the fortunate ones. Some lost power for weeks!

I think something that makes someone a "prepper" as opposed to someone who is prepared for an anticipated natural disaster, is that as preppers we aren't preparing for something specific.  I mean sure, we all have things we think are more or less likely to go wrong, for example if you live in an area with a lot of tornadoes, you are probably more prepared for those than you are for an EMP bomb, but I think prepping is really focusing on broad strategies to help you and your family (or whatever group you are with) survive some sort of temporary or semi-permanent disaster.  Thus we are attempting to live as self-sufficiently as possible, so that we could hopefully (to steal Doom and Bloom's slogan) "succeed if everything else fails".  And there are hundreds of things, some big and expensive, and some simple and easy, that one can do to work toward such a goal.  It's not about hording up supplies for an eventuality that may never come, it's about living in such a way that you have a chance of getting along without outside help if it's not available.                   
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #62 on: September 03, 2021, 12:46:56 pm »
Yes I looked up the definition of "prepper" before I responded to Brians post which might have questioned the meaning of the word or what the word meant, as related to this topic. Considering post of different views and reasons of being prepared as posted in this topic. All the above you mentioned is covered and included.
I suppose we can take it as the once taught motto, (and may still be the motto?), of the of the Boy Scouts. "Be prepared"   I consider that slogan in itself to mean be prepared for anything which may come up in life. Be is specific or in general...    :grin: Thank you for your deep thoughts on this Member..

Phillip

I think something that makes someone a "prepper" as opposed to someone who is prepared for an anticipated natural disaster, is that as preppers we aren't preparing for something specific.  I mean sure, we all have things we think are more or less likely to go wrong, for example if you live in an area with a lot of tornadoes, you are probably more prepared for those than you are for an EMP bomb, but I think prepping is really focusing on broad strategies to help you and your family (or whatever group you are with) survive some sort of temporary or semi-permanent disaster.  Thus we are attempting to live as self-sufficiently as possible, so that we could hopefully (to steal Doom and Bloom's slogan) "succeed if everything else fails".  And there are hundreds of things, some big and expensive, and some simple and easy, that one can do to work toward such a goal.  It's not about hording up supplies for an eventuality that may never come, it's about living in such a way that you have a chance of getting along without outside help if it's not available.   
If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14 KJV

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • No longer keeping bees
« Reply #63 on: September 04, 2021, 09:23:34 am »

I think something that makes someone a "prepper" as opposed to someone who is prepared for an anticipated natural disaster, is that as preppers we aren't preparing for something specific.               
Then everyone is a prepper.  We all buy food on a weekly or monthly basis.  People who are like yourself are usually referred to as off grid or self sustainable.  A "prepper" is someone that prepares for Armageddon.
Kathy even went so far as to use the term "crazy prepper" as the topic.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #64 on: September 04, 2021, 10:00:21 am »
I do not think Kathy minds folks who prepare for whatever reason, posting here. Off grid, on grid, rain, snow, sleet or hail.  lol....Old ways of wood stove canning or new ways of freeze dried food. Water powered, solar powered, wind powered, and yes; even bicycle power electricity as Sal posted.  :shocked: :cheesy:  lol

So far it has been an interesting subject as noted by some who have said as much when posting, even as one member here as far away as Australia..... 

Perhaps you or others have more contributing ideas of ways to be prepared that have not mentioned?

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • No longer keeping bees
« Reply #65 on: September 05, 2021, 08:54:02 am »
May I suggest you start a new topic if you wish to argue your reasoning of which circumstances (has or has not to do with being prepared) such as "natural disasters"..  Perhaps you may title it:  "Prepping has nothing to do with natural disasters." In the meantime, please stay on the subject of this topic..
Phillip
I do not think Kathy minds folks who prepare for whatever reason, posting here. Off grid, on grid, rain, snow, sleet or hail.  lol....Old ways of wood stove canning or new ways of freeze dried food. Water powered, solar powered, wind powered, and yes; even bicycle power electricity as Sal posted.
So I take it some off topic topics are OKay?  Maybe Cider was right.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #66 on: September 05, 2021, 09:23:28 am »
May I suggest you start a new topic if you wish to argue your reasoning of which circumstances (has or has not to do with being prepared) such as "natural disasters"..  Perhaps you may title it:  "Prepping has nothing to do with natural disasters." In the meantime, please stay on the subject of this topic..
Phillip
I do not think Kathy minds folks who prepare for whatever reason, posting here. Off grid, on grid, rain, snow, sleet or hail.  lol....Old ways of wood stove canning or new ways of freeze dried food. Water powered, solar powered, wind powered, and yes; even bicycle power electricity as Sal posted.
So I take it some off topic topics are OKay?  Maybe Cider was right.

prepper |ˈprepər|
nounchiefly North American
a person who believes a catastrophic disaster or emergency is likely to occur in the future and makes active preparations for it, typically by stockpiling food, ammunition, and other supplies: there's no agreement among preppers about what disaster is most imminent | whether you're a doomsday prepper or simply like to be prepared, emergency foods should be kept on hand.

It seems you will not be satisfied with anything less than getting off subject with argumentation..  This is at least the third time, I have directly or indirectly 'KINDLY' ask you for your cooperation in keeping this topic moving forward. 

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • No longer keeping bees
« Reply #67 on: September 06, 2021, 09:03:51 am »
When a moderator has more new post per day than all other members the forum isn't a forum anymore.  I tried.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #68 on: September 06, 2021, 12:13:49 pm »
https://generark.com/pages/solar-generator

This subject has interested me since I did Katrina.  I was shocked that people watched that storm come in for days and yet were so unprepared for the aftermath. They screamed and cried that no one was there to help them.  I get it.  They didn't know or care that no one could get in to set up and help them, and we all live with a false sense of security about getting help and services, especially if we live in cities.
 In later years, I found that most people are unprepared to spend even a few days without services.  This is especially true of people in urban areas.

I noticed that with this last hurricane they were telling people to be prepared to spend 72 hours without any help.  That's an improvement.  People need to know that instant help is not happening.  It is not enough. 

So...If people think about it a bit, they might begin to do those little things that will save them no matter what happens...short of getting nuked or something.   :grin:
There is no week nor day nor hour when tyranny may not enter upon this country, if the people lose their roughness and spirit of defiance.? --Walt Whitman

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #69 on: September 06, 2021, 12:15:16 pm »
When a moderator has more new post per day than all other members the forum isn't a forum anymore.  I tried.

Brian I realize this topic is posted in the coffeehouse and in the coffeehouse, certain allowances are tolerated especially on political topics. However, this is not a political topic. In an unexpected breath of fresh air, we have had a variety of folks taking interest and posting on this subject who rarely post in the coffeehouse. This subject has been recognized by even Geoff from Australia as a good topic.

For you and others here at the coffeehouse argumentation of points of view have become habit for each of us who normally post here (including myself).
But: Taking the above paragraph into consideration, I have ask; " 'please' stay on subject" without the normal argumentation. Even still you are intent on getting off subject anyway, distracting from the subject with unprovoked, unnecessary petty argumentation by continued interruptions taking away from this unique subject, (by unintentional or intentional derailing the subject) Taking ALL the above into consideration; and realizing old habits are hard to break, 'with patience' I kindly I ask you at least '3 times' to please stay on subject. I think if one were to read the entire topic from start until end as you might have done. It would be clear I have been fair to you Brian, going as far as giving you allowance by suggesting; "If you wish to argue your point please start another topic"....

The reason for the sudden sternness in my last post there, stemmed from your previous post by challenging my abilities of being a fair moderator. In my opinion was not only 'out of line', but added further distraction at the same time, while indirectly challenging beemasters ability in picking a fair moderator. I think if you will go back and read the entire topic you or anyone else should clearly see that I had been 'kind' and more than 'fair' with you Ace.

In my opinion even in the coffeehouse, a certain amount of order should be maintained 'especially' on 'benevolent subjects'.. Continued argumentative behavior on 'non political subjects' will no less discourage others from posting in the coffeehouse on 'this type subject', causing damage or slow growth. I feel a certain responsibility in maintaining order on this unique type topic..  If you can not understand this Brian I do not know what else to say to you. I could have sent this to you privately but chose not to since you publicly have not let up. If you can not understand these thoughts, my attempt to reason with you I 'SUGGEST' you send a PM...............

Phillip

« Last Edit: September 06, 2021, 01:03:42 pm by Ben Framed »

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #70 on: September 06, 2021, 12:16:18 pm »

This subject has interested me since I did Katrina.  I was shocked that people watched that storm come in for days and yet were so unprepared for the aftermath. They screamed and cried that no one was there to help them.  I get it.  They didn't know or care that no one could get in to set up and help them, and we all live with a false sense of security about getting help and services, especially if we live in cities.
 In later years, I found that most people are unprepared to spend even a few days without services.  This is especially true of people in urban areas.

I noticed that with this last hurricane they were telling people to be prepared to spend 72 hours without any help.  That's an improvement.  People need to know that instant help is not happening.  It is not enough. 

So...If people think about it a bit, they might begin to do those little things that will save them no matter what happens...short of getting nuked or something.   :grin:

Thank you Kathy. Some good stuff here!!!!

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • No longer keeping bees
« Reply #71 on: September 06, 2021, 01:30:41 pm »

This subject has interested me since I did Katrina. 

Kathy you are more then welcome to do your research but I can tell you how it is going to end.  There is no battery anywhere that can power a house for a week that the average person can afford let alone a month.  Today and for many years to come that amount of energy storage will come from fossil fuel.  It is possible to do it with hydrogen cells but here again costs, availability and safety put it out of reach for the common man.  Solar cells only make sense if you live in an area that has strong sun rays and only if there is a grid to pump the excess into and draw when there is no sun.  They do cut dependency on fossil fuels but do not pay for themselves.
Wind power is more affordable mainly because you can build your own wind mill.  The electric gear required to attach it to the grid is still expensive.  And finally not all areas have enough wind to support a generation station on a personal basis.  Water power is even worse.
In conclusion if you were actually preparing for an emergency then I suggest you get a oil tank and fill it when the price is the lowest and then you can run your diesel generator for a month.  You can't be looking for fuel after the emergency unless you want to shoot it out at the gas station.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Online The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Super Bee
« Reply #72 on: September 06, 2021, 02:52:36 pm »
There is no battery anywhere that can power a house for a week that the average person can afford let alone a month. 
This is true at the moment but it may not be for long.  This is from a booklet a solar guy gave us when he did an estimate on a system for us. 

"V2H stands for "Vehicle-to-Home". This capability will allow the EV (electric vehicle) to act as the home's back up power supply when the grid is down. Current wall mounted batteries like the Tesla Power Wall or the LG CHEM REUS10 can store about 10 kWh of electricity. The batteries in fully electric cars range from 50 kWh to 125 kWh of storage or 5 to 12 times more storage than the current home battery systems. . . .  Battery technology is rapidly advancing and prices are anticipated to follow the same trajectory as solar did over the last 10 years (80% reduction in installation costs)." 

According to this guy, bi-directional charging electric vehicles are the answer to the age-old battery problem in solar.  As I may have mentioned previously, the new Ford Lightning claims to be able to run an average house (at 30 kWh/day) for three days.   
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #73 on: September 06, 2021, 02:58:18 pm »
As I may have mentioned previously, the new Ford Lightning claims to be able to run an average house (at 30 kWh/day) for three days. 

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/companies/ford-f-150-goes-viral-after-providing-generator-power-to-texas-home-during-pandemic/ar-BB1dUlVT
There is no week nor day nor hour when tyranny may not enter upon this country, if the people lose their roughness and spirit of defiance.? --Walt Whitman

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • No longer keeping bees
« Reply #74 on: September 06, 2021, 05:19:18 pm »
As I may have mentioned previously, the new Ford Lightning claims to be able to run an average house (at 30 kWh/day) for three days.   
I don't put much faith in what a salesman tells me, and a car salesman...
What I can tell you is it will take about 15k watts to run my air conditioner.  That is full capacity of my whole house generator so I don't intend on using the generator to cool the house.  This miracle ford can run my air conditioner for 6 hrs/day for 3 days  and how many tanks of fuel will it take?  Where will you get the gas?  What is the price tag on this miracle ford? 
Let me give you some basic insight on energy transmission.  Every time you change forms of energy you lose some.  For instance going from mechanical to electrical or electrical to mechanical and even electrical to electrical.  Most likely going from the truck to the house there is an inverter involved.  There will be some switchgear involved too like all generator set ups to isolate the house from the grid so you don't kill a lineman.  So if a salesman is going to tell me this truck is going to power my house I would tell him bring his truck over to my house and lets see what it will do at what costs.
Technology hasn't changed much.  What has really changed is everything in made in china with no restrictions.  No concerns for pollution, no concerns for worker health and no concerns for safety.
If all this technology was made in America it would cost the same as it did when it was first invented here.  Ly-po cells were invented during the space race but deemed too dangerous to put on board a space ship so they went with Ni-cad technology.  If a car burns up or you phone or lap top burns up not quite the same as life support systems on a space ship.  I do not know what the plan is if this happens in an air plane today.  I know there was a time when you couldn't bring one.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline cao

• Super Bee
« Reply #75 on: September 06, 2021, 06:30:50 pm »
My cousin has been looking into that ford truck and if I remember correctly the base model starts out at 45k, but to get one to power your house it is about 90k.  A person around here could buy a small house for that price.

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #76 on: September 06, 2021, 06:40:52 pm »
My cousin has been looking into that ford truck and if I remember correctly the base model starts out at 45k, but to get one to power your house it is about 90k.  A person around here could buy a small house for that price.

We were traveling this last weekend and looking at all the rec vehicles that people have.  Many are easily 90k +.  I can see how that truck would be attractive to people who spend a lot of time camping, etc.  The + would be that it would have other uses if the power went out.  I can't see many buying it as a substitute for a generator.
Interesting idea though and I expect we'll see quite a few of them around here.  Camping, fishing, hunting, boating, and other outdoor recreation are big things here in the few months we are not rained out. 

Offline salvo

• Field Bee
« Reply #77 on: September 06, 2021, 07:01:21 pm »
Hi Folks,

For work, I drove a Kia Soul for three years. We leased three of them, MSRP about 35,000 in 2018. One hundred mile range on a full charge,... in summertime, about 65 mile range in winter. All three needed battery change after a bit more than one year. Two needed computers to be re-worked over the three years.

We got Chevy BOLTS to replace them. Batteries subject to spontaneous combustion at high charge. Computers were modified to reduce charge limit. Fix is not good. We don't know what is going to happen. We're advised to not leave them plugged in for extended periods or when no one is around to notice the flames.

Mercedes has a new battery operated auto. Please see video:

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=mercedes+electric+ar+duracell+aa&&view=detail&mid=CB339026CB432DB7F73BCB339026CB432DB7F73B&&FORM=VRDGAR&ru=%2Fvideos%2Fsearch%3Fq%3Dmercedes%2Belectric%2Bar%2Bduracell%2Baa%26FORM%3DHDRSC3

Sal
Salvo

Online The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Super Bee
« Reply #78 on: September 06, 2021, 07:06:20 pm »
I don't put much faith in what a salesman tells me, and a car salesman...
What I can tell you is it will take about 15k watts to run my air conditioner.  That is full capacity of my whole house generator so I don't intend on using the generator to cool the house.  This miracle ford can run my air conditioner for 6 hrs/day for 3 days  and how many tanks of fuel will it take?  Where will you get the gas?  What is the price tag on this miracle ford? 
It's not a gas-powered truck, it's all electric.  You charge the car with your own power, (grid, solar, what-have-you), and it acts as a battery.  The thing that is new about this technology is that not only can the battery power the car, it can also be used to power other things. 

Let me give you some basic insight on energy transmission.  Every time you change forms of energy you lose some.  For instance going from mechanical to electrical or electrical to mechanical and even electrical to electrical.  Most likely going from the truck to the house there is an inverter involved.  There will be some switchgear involved too like all generator set ups to isolate the house from the grid so you don't kill a lineman.  So if a salesman is going to tell me this truck is going to power my house I would tell him bring his truck over to my house and lets see what it will do at what costs.
Technology hasn't changed much.  What has really changed is everything in made in china with no restrictions.  No concerns for pollution, no concerns for worker health and no concerns for safety.
If all this technology was made in America it would cost the same as it did when it was first invented here.  Ly-po cells were invented during the space race but deemed too dangerous to put on board a space ship so they went with Ni-cad technology.  If a car burns up or you phone or lap top burns up not quite the same as life support systems on a space ship.  I do not know what the plan is if this happens in an air plane today.  I know there was a time when you couldn't bring one.

We were traveling this last weekend and looking at all the rec vehicles that people have.  Many are easily 90k +.  I can see how that truck would be attractive to people who spend a lot of time camping, etc.  The + would be that it would have other uses if the power went out.  I can't see many buying it as a substitute for a generator.
Interesting idea though and I expect we'll see quite a few of them around here.  Camping, fishing, hunting, boating, and other outdoor recreation are big things here in the few months we are not rained out. 
I'm not saying this is an end-all fix-all.  My family isn't running out and buying this truck and a solar array today.  The technology is brand new, so of course it's expensive and not yet tested in the field.  My point is that I think it could become a catalyst for making solar more feasible than it is currently.   

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • No longer keeping bees
« Reply #79 on: September 07, 2021, 08:57:20 am »

Mercedes has a new battery operated auto. Please see video:

Hilarious.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it