Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Something else to consider-becoming the crazy prepper  (Read 16144 times)

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
Re: Something else to consider-becoming the crazy prepper
« Reply #40 on: August 31, 2021, 10:22:25 pm »
I grabbed this just as an example and research start point.

https://www.newlifeonahomestead.com/best-hand-pump-for-existing-well/

It can be expensive, but so are solar setups so if water is the main concern, the hand pump could end up being cheaper.
Good article, Kathy.

Yes an excellent article. Thanks from me as well. 
If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14 KJV

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #41 on: August 31, 2021, 10:49:50 pm »
One thing a prepper should have a lot of is vinegar and plenty of containers to help with garden produce.
Cheers
gww

gww when I was a boy one of my best friend's Grandmother refused to can her vegetables on the kitchen stove. She had an old antique wood burning stove/oven that they would set up out under the big Oak Trees and would actually can all their vegetables using mason jars. I thought this was a neat thing to do. The whole family would 'come together' on canning day. They worked together while laughing and enjoying each others company, having a good ole time.
If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14 KJV

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • No longer keeping bees
« Reply #42 on: September 01, 2021, 08:29:04 am »
Why would you spend 5 grand on a hand pump when you could buy a generator for 300 and not lift a finger?
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • No longer keeping bees
« Reply #43 on: September 01, 2021, 08:36:48 am »
She had an old antique wood burning stove/oven that they would set up out under the big Oak Trees and would actually can all their vegetables using mason jars.
That is Okay in a water bath, not so good for a modern pressurized canner where you can't control the heat source.  Phil, have you ever done any canning yourself?
 At this point I am going to say don't go into home canning foolishly.  A lot of the old timers got sick from canning their own food because they made mistakes.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #44 on: September 01, 2021, 09:16:05 am »
She had an old antique wood burning stove/oven that they would set up out under the big Oak Trees and would actually can all their vegetables using mason jars.
That is Okay in a water bath, not so good for a modern pressurized canner where you can't control the heat source.  Phil, have you ever done any canning yourself?
 At this point I am going to say don't go into home canning foolishly.  A lot of the old timers got sick from canning their own food because they made mistakes.

She lived to be a ripe old age and died of natural causes.  :cheesy:
« Last Edit: September 09, 2021, 03:09:17 pm by Ben Framed »

Online The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Super Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #45 on: September 01, 2021, 11:59:25 am »
Why would you spend 5 grand on a hand pump when you could buy a generator for 300 and not lift a finger?
Maybe you'd like to not rely on electricity in this area at all.  Or maybe you're worried about whatever kind of fuel the generator requires.  It's just another option.   

What an idyllic picture, Phillip!  I agree that lots of people on blogs and such don't know what they are doing where canning goes, and that can lead to unsafe products.  But as long as one uses reputable canning recipes, from places like Ball Canning and the National Center for Home Food Preservation, there is really nothing to worry about.  Obviously if you use your head, and your nose, and don't eat anything that potentially looks or smells off, I'd be pretty confident about it being okay. 

My mom has been doing a lot more canning this year than in previous years, and she's been really into trying different pickles, which I've been excited about since pickles are my actual favorite food.  She's made a bunch of different cucumber pickles, zucchini pickles, and dilly beans.     
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #46 on: September 01, 2021, 12:37:21 pm »
Yes it was an idyllic picture member. This had been a family tradition for this family, and handed down since the early 1900s. I guess ole granny wanted to keep up the joy of the family tradition setting while enjoying the art of the old ways of doing it. While providing good wholesome food for her family.  Really, think about it. If there was no electricity ole granny would be well ahead of the pack! She knew how to survive with just the very basics and survive well!

:grin:

« Last Edit: September 01, 2021, 07:42:49 pm by Ben Framed »

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • No longer keeping bees
« Reply #47 on: September 02, 2021, 08:40:41 am »
My mom has been doing a lot more canning this year than in previous years, and she's been really into trying different pickles, which I've been excited about since pickles are my actual favorite food.  She's made a bunch of different cucumber pickles, zucchini pickles, and dilly beans.     
Pickled products are much safer to can then meats and vegetables.  We all do it but smell is not a good test for tainted food.  By the time it smells bad it already looks bad.  The pop top is probably the best invention for can goods.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #48 on: September 02, 2021, 11:24:15 am »
Pickled products are much safer to can then meats and vegetables.  We all do it but smell is not a good test for tainted food.  By the time it smells bad it already looks bad.  The pop top is probably the best invention for can goods.

We never canned meat, we 'froze it'. I do not think my friends family mentioned earlier did either. It was vegetables for us. We always used the "pop" tops for the assured sure seal. 

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • No longer keeping bees
« Reply #49 on: September 02, 2021, 04:12:47 pm »

We never canned meat, we 'froze it'.
Well then you are dependent upon electricity.  Down here people stock up for hurricanes but it requires a generator to keep the freezer going in the high temperatures.  Some will store ice for drinking water.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #50 on: September 02, 2021, 05:21:29 pm »
Well then you are dependent upon electricity.

That's right Brian, as we were discussing earlier. This is the reason I was asking about running a freezer on solar panels without the need for batteries. Also power, direct from solar panels to a 220 well and or a freezer in times of an emergency where electricity is not available. Or times when electricity may not be available for extended periods of time.
As I told gww I do have a 5500-6500 generator but would also like to know if there is a solar panel metod sufficient enough, providing enough electricity to run the freezer for at least a couple hours a day and the well the amount of time needed to collect water and flush what needs to be flushed... etc.. Again without a battery.. Strictly emergency use only, if you will.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #51 on: September 02, 2021, 06:45:00 pm »
How about a solar generator  :grin:
There is no week nor day nor hour when tyranny may not enter upon this country, if the people lose their roughness and spirit of defiance.? --Walt Whitman

Offline Geoff

• Field Bee
« Reply #52 on: September 03, 2021, 06:13:48 am »

You sure got a good topic rolling here Kathy. Looks like we will be rained in for a couple of days so I'll try and contribute !  !
Local Area Network in Australia - the LAN down under.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #53 on: September 03, 2021, 08:30:53 am »
Phillip,
A new 20 CF freezer uses about 350 watts.  A one HP well pump uses 2 kw with a start up load of 4kw.
Setting up a 1kw system would bee very doable. You probably want a battery system to handle the well.
Jim Altmiller i

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • No longer keeping bees
« Reply #54 on: September 03, 2021, 08:43:24 am »

That's right Brian, as we were discussing earlier. This is the reason I was asking about running a freezer on solar panels without the need for batteries.
Not possible.  You don't get a lot of sun during a hurricane better to go with a wind mill.  There are several ways to produce power using free energy from nature but all require a substantial investment.  Without a government hand out it will never pay for itself.  Which means it will never pay for itself it is just a question of who will pay.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • No longer keeping bees
« Reply #55 on: September 03, 2021, 08:46:02 am »
??? I will bite.  What is a solar generator and why would you use it?
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #56 on: September 03, 2021, 08:54:07 am »
I use 55 gallon rain barrels and a large life straw filter for my water plan.

That is not a bad idea, in fact if there was a sheer emergency this could make the difference in life and death. From what I understand lack of drinking water was a key problem in New Orleans during Katrina.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • No longer keeping bees
« Reply #57 on: September 03, 2021, 09:03:47 am »
From what I understand lack of drinking water was a key problem in New Orleans during Katrina.
That is why people freeze ice.  Even if the freezer gets flooded the ice is protected in zip lock bags.  All types of exterior storage of water is susceptible to contamination during a flood.  No need to store water for flushing toilets in a flood they won't.  Best thing is to horde bottled water in high ground.  Even a tree.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #58 on: September 03, 2021, 10:04:01 am »
That's right Brian, as we were discussing earlier. This is the reason I was asking about running a freezer on solar panels without the need for batteries.

Not possible.  You don't get a lot of sun during a hurricane

As discussed in the big picture of this topic; There may be different reasons, thoughts, and frames of mind why some folks may wish to be prepared. Emergency situations are one. It is not usually during an event such as a hurricane that you just mentioned, or an ice storm which has also been mentioned that have the need for emergency electricity. It is the aftermath. For example, the ice storm of 94 was late February. Although the damage was done, within a few days the sun was out shining and temps began rising, yet electrical power was out for a week at our residence. We were among the fortunate ones. Some lost power for weeks!

If 350 watts as mentioned by Jim for some type freezers then solar might work as per the specific questions asked earlier in reply 50?

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #59 on: September 03, 2021, 10:35:59 am »
??? I will bite.  What is a solar generator and why would you use it?

Brian that was a joke. The solar panels do the generating and batteries store the (juice). If there really is a solar generator I?ve not heard of it.  :grin: