Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Something else to consider-becoming the crazy prepper  (Read 16082 times)

Online The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Super Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
Re: Something else to consider-becoming the crazy prepper
« Reply #81 on: September 09, 2021, 03:05:06 pm »
As I may have mentioned previously, the new Ford Lightning claims to be able to run an average house (at 30 kWh/day) for three days. 

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/companies/ford-f-150-goes-viral-after-providing-generator-power-to-texas-home-during-pandemic/ar-BB1dUlVT

This may be one of the trucks that Member mentioned? She also mentioned another one 'all electric'. Either way it would be nice to have some electricity in an outage situation.

The15thMember
It's not a gas-powered truck, it's all electric.  You charge the car with your own power, (grid, solar, what-have-you), and it acts as a battery.  The thing that is new about this technology is that not only can the battery power the car, it can also be used to power other things.

Your posted news article Kathy Title:

"Ford F-150 goes viral after providing generator power to Texas home during blackout"
« Last Edit: September 09, 2021, 03:17:31 pm by Ben Framed »
If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14 KJV

Online The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Super Bee
« Reply #82 on: September 09, 2021, 04:21:26 pm »
As I may have mentioned previously, the new Ford Lightning claims to be able to run an average house (at 30 kWh/day) for three days. 

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/companies/ford-f-150-goes-viral-after-providing-generator-power-to-texas-home-during-pandemic/ar-BB1dUlVT

This may be one of the trucks that Member mentioned? She also mentioned another one 'all electric'. Either way it would be nice to have some electricity in an outage situation.

The15thMember
It's not a gas-powered truck, it's all electric.  You charge the car with your own power, (grid, solar, what-have-you), and it acts as a battery.  The thing that is new about this technology is that not only can the battery power the car, it can also be used to power other things.

Your posted news article Kathy Title:

"Ford F-150 goes viral after providing generator power to Texas home during blackout"

The truck in the article is the F-150 Hybrid; the truck I was speaking of is the F-150 Lightning.
https://www.ford.com/trucks/f150/f150-lightning/2022/

In other news, my family has decided to get a Harvest Right freeze dryer.  My mom has been doing some more research on it, and we think it'll be worth the money.  Not only can we set aside some of our own food for long term storage, but it will also enable us to store food for convenience in a way that saves space and is shelf stable, so we can free up some room in the freezers.  For example, my mom will often make an extra casserole or lasagna and put it in the freezer for a quick and easy meal on days where we are busy or something unexpected prevented her from making supper, and freeze drying things that like will enable us to keep more on hand.  We will also be able to freeze dry our goats milk, which is currently taking up half of one of our freezers.  With the freeze dryer we will be able to store 1 gal. of milk in a quart jar.           
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #83 on: September 09, 2021, 06:34:43 pm »
In other news, my family has decided to get a Harvest Right freeze dryer.

Ah, a test subject!!  :cheesy: Please keep us up to date on how it goes!

As for the truck, I'd rather have the hybred.  What good is an all electric truck if the power goes out no matter how you are using it?
There is no week nor day nor hour when tyranny may not enter upon this country, if the people lose their roughness and spirit of defiance.? --Walt Whitman

Online The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Super Bee
« Reply #84 on: September 09, 2021, 07:29:00 pm »
In other news, my family has decided to get a Harvest Right freeze dryer.

Ah, a test subject!!  :cheesy: Please keep us up to date on how it goes!
I certainly will!  If you are interested, we've been watching a guy on YouTube who has had one for a long time, and he posts how different foods turn out and tips for using it, and we've really been learning a lot about it from him.  His channel is called "Retired at 40--Live. Life. Simple."

As for the truck, I'd rather have the hybred.  What good is an all electric truck if the power goes out no matter how you are using it?
The hybrid definitely seems more versatile, but at the risk of re-opening a potentially contentious subject, we were particularly interested in the truck as part of a solar setup, and the Lightning has more battery capacity than the hybrid.  Our use for it would be mostly as a farm truck and as a battery for the house, so the more limited driving range wouldn't be much of an issue for our use.  I also saw that GMC is looking to include similar technology on the upcoming Hummer.  I was excited to see them resurrect the Hummer, I always thought they were cool.  Maybe we can get a Hummer with a pickup bed instead.  :happy:  I guess we'll just wait to see how the technology and pricing progresses in the next couple of years.     

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #85 on: September 09, 2021, 08:04:20 pm »
The15thmember
my family has decided to get a Harvest Right freeze dryer.

Those things are amazing! I watched a video where they actually freeze dried ice cream!
If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14 KJV

Offline salvo

• Field Bee
« Reply #86 on: September 09, 2021, 11:28:25 pm »
Hi Folks,

Are you guys going here? It's long, but it touches on lots of stuff.

https://www.theorganicprepper.com/another-lockdown-get-prepared/

Sal
Salvo

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • No longer keeping bees
« Reply #88 on: October 04, 2021, 08:44:27 am »
I also saw that GMC is looking to include similar technology on the upcoming Hummer.
Another useless vehicle to electrify.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #89 on: October 04, 2021, 09:06:57 am »
I also saw that GMC is looking to include similar technology on the upcoming Hummer.
Another useless vehicle to electrify.

Brian what have you found about electrification of the hummer that qualifies it as being useless?

« Last Edit: October 04, 2021, 09:34:38 am by Ben Framed »

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
There is no week nor day nor hour when tyranny may not enter upon this country, if the people lose their roughness and spirit of defiance.? --Walt Whitman

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #91 on: October 04, 2021, 06:28:47 pm »
They probably got hacked and are being held for ransom.
Jim Altmiller

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #92 on: October 04, 2021, 07:29:46 pm »
They probably got hacked and are being held for ransom.

One can only hope.  Funny thing is that it was international and all FB sites.  Whatever happened it was big and fast.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • No longer keeping bees
« Reply #93 on: October 05, 2021, 08:48:43 am »

Brian what have you found about electrification of the hummer that qualifies it as being useless?
Over sized, over weight.
The point of electrification is to reduce our carbon footprint on the world.  Taking a gas guzzler and making it electric doesn't do that.  We really don't need to pit the oil companies against the green movement.  All that is needed is to tax vehicles by weight.  If the tax is high enough people will make the right choice.
We are being told that USPO will be more expensive and take longer as they transition from air to ground transportation.  A step in the right direction but not nearly enough.  Rail is the most efficient form of transporting goods.  But this country has invested nothing in rail infrastructure.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #94 on: October 05, 2021, 09:48:03 am »

Over sized, over weight.
The point of electrification is to reduce our carbon footprint on the world.  Taking a gas guzzler and making it electric doesn't do that.  We really don't need to pit the oil companies against the green movement.  All that is needed is to tax vehicles by weight.  If the tax is high enough people will make the right choice.
We are being told that USPO will be more expensive and take longer as they transition from air to ground transportation.  A step in the right direction but not nearly enough.  Rail is the most efficient form of transporting goods.  But this country has invested nothing in rail infrastructure.

Brian, how did you transport the materials needed for the remodel of your home? It is doubtful they magically floated from the local building supplier to your home? lol 😬 I rather doubt you trailered them with your car? Most likely a pick-up truck. That is how I see most folks doing it at lowes.  With a simple lightweight trailer, you could have enjoyed the comfort of a hummer to transport your materials instead.
Do you ever look for facts before you post? You really should. Some unsuspecting reader might believe your bunkum. Member is correct and spot on when she says GM will soon come out with an electrified version of this same H3. Which can be used as an aid for herself and her family, providing extra electricity during an emergency if she decides to make the purchase. So really the hummer is not useless at all....... 

According to
Motor Ask:

"The Hummer H3 now has a fuel economy rating similar to other midsize SUVs.
It comes with 16 mpg (city) and 20 mpg (highway), making it one of the most fuel-efficient vehicles in its class.Reports are emerging that General Motors is planning to release the Hummer EV sometime in 2021. This Hummer model will be fully electric, meaning car buyers won't need to judge it based on its gas mileage."

« Last Edit: October 06, 2021, 08:11:23 am by Ben Framed »

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #95 on: October 05, 2021, 09:58:44 am »
The15thmember
my family has decided to get a Harvest Right freeze dryer.

Those things are amazing! I watched a video where they actually freeze dried ice cream!

Member how are things progressing with the freeze dryer?

Online The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Super Bee
« Reply #96 on: October 05, 2021, 10:57:08 am »
Member how are things progressing with the freeze dryer?
My mom actually hasn't ordered it yet, but she is planning to, maybe this week if she has time.  My sister's birthday was last week so we were really busy.   

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #97 on: October 05, 2021, 11:12:02 am »
What taxing by weight would do is not encourage people to "make the right decision" but punish people who need to have the heavier vehicle.  It already costs more to run most of those heavy vehicles, so most people don't own them unless they need them or can afford the extra cost.  In the first case, those would be people who farm, tow heavy stuff, do construction work, etc.  In the second, a sin tax on a vehicle would not matter.  They can afford the cost.

My state already tried this with recreational vehicles.  Not that they wanted them off the road, but they saw another source of revenue by increasing the tag tax.  People who could afford the vehicles in the first place paid the extra and there were no fewer rec vehicles on the road. 

since we can usually find examples of things already tried, it's a good idea to look for those first and figure out if they were effective and who was really hurt or helped by the change.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • No longer keeping bees
« Reply #98 on: October 06, 2021, 08:31:14 am »

It comes with 16 mpg (city) and 20 mpg (highway),
These are laboratory numbers.  No one actually gets these results

I rather doubt you trailered them with your car?
I have a minivan and yes I trailered long and heavy supplies with an equipment trailer.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • No longer keeping bees
« Reply #99 on: October 06, 2021, 08:50:35 am »
It already costs more to run most of those heavy vehicles, so most people don't own them unless they need them or can afford the extra cost.  In the first case, those would be people who farm, tow heavy stuff, do construction work, etc.  In the second, a sin tax on a vehicle would not matter.
You have to be joking.  There are more jacked up Super Duties here in FL then there are republicans.  Stretched out wheel base and oversize tires that make the vehicle useless on the farm.  First of all I was thinking pleasure vehicles not commercial vehicles.  When there is a need there is a need but these abortions are just for joy riding.  No one that spends 80 grand on a vehicle puts a 2x4 in it.  My step daughter has a make believe Jeep.  If you put that on wet grass it would get stuck.  Anything that needs moving I get a call.
My state already tried this with recreational vehicles.  Not that they wanted them off the road, but they saw another source of revenue by increasing the tag tax.  People who could afford the vehicles in the first place paid the extra and there were no fewer rec vehicles on the road. 
CT has had a luxury tax as long as I can remember.  The only thing they did wrong was allow someone that lives in CT to register a vehicle in another state.
States need revenue to combat climate change.  Many states don't have this tax and those that do have too low a rate.  Most use book value but they should use weight.  Weight tears up tires and consumes energy.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it