Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Something else to consider-becoming the crazy prepper  (Read 17618 times)

Offline salvo

• Queen Bee
Re: Something else to consider-becoming the crazy prepper
« Reply #300 on: April 19, 2022, 02:27:29 pm »
Hi Folks,

Kathy. By this statement: * I am more concerned with the non-rational actors and those driven by ideology.  They don't care what happens to them or the world. *

It's almost as if you're describing what I, personally, would refer to as PROGRESSIVES.

AOC, ILLIAD OMAR, TALEEB, [insert your choice here ad nauseum].... and the beat goes on.

Sal

Salvo

Online The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Super Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #301 on: July 25, 2022, 02:59:55 pm »
Here's an update on our freeze drying endeavors.  We so far use the freeze dryer mostly for storing our excess farm produce, which for us is goats milk, eggs, and some vegetables.  We also commonly freeze dry leftovers if we don't anticipate them getting eaten.  My mom also loves freeze drying herbs, which creates exactly what you'd purchase in the store for a FRACTION of the cost, and onions, which she finds extremely convenient for cooking.  We've done all kinds of stuff, and almost everything has worked great, from strawberry powder to raw hamburger patties.  Some things that didn't work well are pasta dishes, which take so long to freeze dry, and dry pasta already stores so well, that we just found it to be a waste of time; cured ham doesn't seem to work well, as it doesn't taste the same and it doesn't rehydrate nicely; we've also found some vegetables like carrots are fine in something cooked, but don't rehydrate well to eat raw. 

We also ran into an issue recently where just suddenly, for seemingly no reason, the freezer dryer has been tripping the circuit breaker.  We do have it on a circuit with other things, which is not what's recommended, so we're going to have a circuit installed for it tomorrow, and hopefully that will solve the problem.       
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #302 on: July 25, 2022, 03:45:04 pm »
Thanks!!  Still on my list of things to consider. 
There is no week nor day nor hour when tyranny may not enter upon this country, if the people lose their roughness and spirit of defiance.? --Walt Whitman

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #303 on: July 26, 2022, 09:33:54 am »
Thanks. I also will eventually get one.
You mentioned hamburger, what about raw steak?
Jim Altmiller

Online The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Super Bee
« Reply #304 on: July 26, 2022, 11:15:26 am »
Thanks. I also will eventually get one.
You mentioned hamburger, what about raw steak?
Jim Altmiller
I don't see why it wouldn't.  The question would be could you do like a whole, bone-in, steak, like a T-bone or something.  That's just such a large piece of food, that it might take really long, and I'm not sure what would happen with the bone.  Not to say it wouldn't work, but we haven't tried anything like that (yet).  But like cube steak, I can't see why that wouldn't work well.     
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #305 on: July 26, 2022, 11:36:11 am »
You mentioned hamburger

I got a good jerky gun and make hamburger jerky.  I just don't know how long it keeps because it doesn't stay around long enough.  My concern is that the fat would go rancid. 

Is that a problem with the dehydrator?  Does the fat just dry out too?   :grin: 
There is no week nor day nor hour when tyranny may not enter upon this country, if the people lose their roughness and spirit of defiance.? --Walt Whitman

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #306 on: July 26, 2022, 12:50:47 pm »
Fat on jerky always goes kind of bad as far as flavor, but I don't think it will hurt you as long as it's dry.  Yes, fat dries out.  But it still gets an off taste after a while.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Online The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Super Bee
« Reply #307 on: July 26, 2022, 12:59:33 pm »
You mentioned hamburger

I got a good jerky gun and make hamburger jerky.  I just don't know how long it keeps because it doesn't stay around long enough.  My concern is that the fat would go rancid. 

Is that a problem with the dehydrator?  Does the fat just dry out too?   :grin: 
Even freeze dried, very fatty things will go rancid eventually.  The thing people always say with long term food storage is "Oil spoils".  Well freeze dried, or dehydrated, I imagine you could get fatty/oily foods to last a good couple of years, but it won't keep for like 25 years like something not fatty. 

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #308 on: July 26, 2022, 01:04:07 pm »
The fat gets an off taste, but it's never made me sick.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin