Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Something else to consider-becoming the crazy prepper  (Read 15926 times)

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Something else to consider-becoming the crazy prepper
« Reply #280 on: February 26, 2022, 08:26:25 pm »
Sal, :grin: :grin: :grin:

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Super Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #281 on: February 26, 2022, 08:44:38 pm »
Sal, I think I realized the problem.  Even wild corn dogs have to be baked or fried!  Why don't you go pick another batch and try them again.  They are usually ripe this time of year.  :wink: :cheesy:
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #282 on: February 26, 2022, 08:59:38 pm »
Just heat them up over an open flame. They do tend to bee a little smokey tasting.
Jim Altmiller

Offline William Bagwell

• House Bee
« Reply #283 on: February 26, 2022, 10:35:49 pm »
Sal, I think I realized the problem.  Even wild corn dogs have to be baked or fried!  Why don't you go pick another batch and try them again.  They are usually ripe this time of year.  :wink: :cheesy:

Let them get over ripe and they magically turn into cotton candy.  :wink:

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #284 on: April 07, 2022, 05:32:32 am »
This interesting short video is about a 'Well' similar to those we were talking about last year...

On the Video you will see:

Video unavailable
Playback on other websites has been disabled by the
video owner
Watch On Youtube

Simply click on the screen below "Watch on YouTube" and it will play for you.   

« Last Edit: April 07, 2022, 10:48:51 am by Ben Framed »
If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14 KJV

Offline salvo

• Field Bee
« Reply #285 on: April 15, 2022, 05:36:08 pm »
[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]
Salvo

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #286 on: April 15, 2022, 09:44:56 pm »
and a hand coffee grinder for both coffee beans and whole grains   :grin:
There is no week nor day nor hour when tyranny may not enter upon this country, if the people lose their roughness and spirit of defiance.? --Walt Whitman

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • No longer keeping bees
« Reply #287 on: April 16, 2022, 09:02:45 am »
We use about 100 gal of water per day per person.  We need 10-15 cups of fluid to live.  AS the Ukrainians know it is hard to get water and food in a conventional war.  The only saving grace is if the west can deactivate Putin's nukes.  Seems like we should have that technology but there is no indication that we do.  Nuclear war is global extermination if we don't.  There is no prepping to survive a nuclear war.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #288 on: April 16, 2022, 03:27:57 pm »
Ace,
Have you ever flown across this country. The major cities will no doubt be wiped out but there is vast areas with low population numbers that are not targeted.
The people that prep properly are probably going to survive if they can keep what they have stored up.
Yes it is going to take a long while for goods to start moving again but a lot of people in farm country are going to bee able to survive.
Jim Altmiller

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #289 on: April 16, 2022, 03:57:53 pm »
I am less worried about Russia proper, than about Iran.  Iran has reasons to get and use nukes.  They are also Russian surrogates.  Even if Putin is nuts enough to want to toss nukes, his military leaders understand the consequences.  We would hope there are enough Vasily Arkhipovs among them to stop it. 
Not that many of them would not like to nuke us, but there is a better way.

If Iran tosses off nukes at us or more likely at some NATO countries in Europe or at Israel, Russia can say they knew nothing about it!  Russia doesn't get nuked and whatever the goal, it is accomplished anyway.  Chaos ensues.  Iran is happy for as long as they last, and the world is in a bigger mess than it is now. 
And somewhere in there, you have to factor in the nutty NorKs.  They are completely unpredictable and China surrogates.  China can use them and never be touched.
There is no week nor day nor hour when tyranny may not enter upon this country, if the people lose their roughness and spirit of defiance.? --Walt Whitman

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • No longer keeping bees
« Reply #290 on: April 17, 2022, 09:57:18 am »
The major cities will no doubt be wiped out but there is vast areas with low population numbers that are not targeted.
Nuclear war between Russia and the US will put so much radiation in the atmosphere that there will be no survivors no matter where you are.  The fall out will poison the earth such that you will not be able to raise animals or plant food.  Now add to that there are a whole lot of other countries that have stored nukes.  They will most likely join in the fun due to the fall out.
It was a difficult life in the pioneer days and many starved even though they did not have to deal with radiation.  We have neighbors growing self sustainable "food forests" but here again it is all for not when you add radiation.
Jim, do you feel safe because of your distance from Jacksonville and Atlanta?
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Super Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #291 on: April 17, 2022, 12:56:50 pm »
I think there are scenarios where nuclear war causes the collapse of civilization, but it's unlikely to cause the extinction of humankind.  I found this article to be informative in taking stock of the potential effects of launching the world's current nuclear arsenals.  https://www.lesswrong.com/posts/sT6NxFxso6Z9xjS7o/nuclear-war-is-unlikely-to-cause-human-extinction

The other thing to remember is that radiation doesn't last forever.  It might take years, but as long as a small section of the population remains alive, rebuilding would eventually be possible.  Here's what Chernobyl is like today. 
https://www.unep.org/news-and-stories/story/how-chernobyl-has-become-unexpected-haven-wildlife
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #292 on: April 17, 2022, 01:24:30 pm »
Ace,
The main blast is 7km and the secondary ring is 14km. Considering that I?m close to 90km and even more from the main military targets, yes I think I can survive the first blasts. Considering that our prevailing winds are from the west and south west most of the fallout will go over the ocean. Then there is the nuclear winter. If I were to have a good stock of salt, which I will, I can preserve enough meat that is on the farm to bee able to survive quite a while.
Jim Altmiller

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #293 on: April 17, 2022, 02:43:51 pm »

The other thing to remember is that radiation doesn't last forever.

And Japan.  A lot of what we were told back in the day about radiation and long term impact has not been born out by facts on the ground.  Same with oil spills...not to start another word war... :grin:

I honestly don't think it will happen between the US and either China or Russia.  I DO think that if the 12ers in Iran have the power, they will be happy to use nukes to bring about their understanding of their end time prophecies. 

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • No longer keeping bees
« Reply #294 on: April 18, 2022, 08:23:26 am »
Ace,
The main blast is 7km and the secondary ring is 14km. Considering that I?m close to 90km and even more from the main military targets, yes I think I can survive the first blasts.
It is not going to be one blast.  It is going to be every port city and the west coast plus major cities on the east coast. Jim the amount of salt that is required to preserve meat will kill you at your age.
Kathy, Iran by itself will never have enough nukes to end the world.  Same with N Korea.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • No longer keeping bees
« Reply #295 on: April 18, 2022, 08:29:16 am »

The other thing to remember is that radiation doesn't last forever.  It might take years, but as long as a small section of the population remains alive, rebuilding would eventually be possible.  Here's what Chernobyl is like today. 
https://www.unep.org/news-and-stories/story/how-chernobyl-has-become-unexpected-haven-wildlife
Chernobyl is not a nuclear weapon.  The core in Chernobyl is contained and will last hundred of years.  No one is living there or growing food.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #296 on: April 18, 2022, 11:12:53 am »
List of United States nuclear weapons tests
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to navigationJump to search

See also: List of nuclear weapons tests

Trinity, part of Project Manhattan, was the first ever nuclear explosion.
The nuclear weapons tests of the United States were performed between 1945 and 1992 as part of the nuclear arms race. The United States conducted around 1,054 nuclear tests by official count, including 216 atmospheric, underwater, and space tests.[1][notes 1] Most of the tests took place at the Nevada Test Site (NNSS/NTS) and the Pacific Proving Grounds in the Marshall Islands and off Kiritimati Island in the Pacific, plus three in the Atlantic Ocean. Ten other tests took place at various locations in the United States, including Alaska, Nevada other than the NNSS/NTS, Colorado, Mississippi, and New Mexico.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_States_nuclear_weapons_tests
If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14 KJV

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #297 on: April 18, 2022, 12:08:26 pm »
Chernobyl is not a nuclear weapon.  The core in Chernobyl is contained and will last hundred of years.  No one is living there or growing food.

Not so and people still work there.  The other reactors are unhooked from the grid, but they are not "contained".  they require human care.

https://www.businessinsider.com/what-daily-life-inside-chernobyls-exclusion-zone-is-really-like-2019-4?op=1#ivan-shamyanok-who-told-reuters-in-2016-that-he-lives-in-the-belarusian-village-of-tulgovich-in-the-exclusion-zone-refused-the-offer-to-relocate-following-the-explosion-8

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3019536/Living-working-Chernobyl-Fascinating-insight-lives-work-live-exclusion-zone-nuclear-plant-nearly-30-years-disaster-shook-world.html

One of the main reasons Chernobyl area is so contaminated is the graphite that was spewed out of it.  All of the other material from the building was contaminated and the water.  The radiation released into the air was much more than that released from our earlier nuclear bombs because of the explosions and the amount of radioactive material involved.  Fukashima was a slower release, no explosion, and the contaminated water was contained.  It will be released into the ocean at the rate of a two year old peeing in the Olympic size pool.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • No longer keeping bees
« Reply #298 on: April 19, 2022, 09:17:26 am »
As Mikhail Gorbachev stated : ?The nuclear meltdown at Chernobyl 20 years ago ? even more than my launch of pre-restroika, was perhaps the real cause of the collapse of the Soviet Union five years later. ? Chernobyl opened my eyes like nothing else: it showed the horrible consequences of nuclear power ?One could now imagine much more clearly what might happen if a nuclear bomb exploded ?one SS-18 rocket could contain a hundred Chernobyls. Unfortunately, the problem of nuclear arms is still very serious today.? (Gorbachev 2006).
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2889503/

And there are thousands of nuclear warheads today.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #299 on: April 19, 2022, 12:05:30 pm »
And there are thousands of nuclear warheads today.

There are.  Rational actors understand that they still need a place to live when it's all over.  Even if MAD slipped through our fingers, they'd be more apt to do limited strikes and someone would quickly cry Uncle.  I am more concerned with the non-rational actors and those driven by ideology.  They don't care what happens to them or the world.