Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Something else to consider-becoming the crazy prepper  (Read 15925 times)

Offline CoolBees

• Queen Bee
Re: Something else to consider-becoming the crazy prepper
« Reply #200 on: December 21, 2021, 04:18:40 am »
Regarding vacuum sealers: there are 2 main types (that I know of).

1) your "normal" sealer which sucks the air out. &

2) a Chamber sealer.

I've owned 3 normal sealers. They work mostly. And when my 3rd one started breaking down, I learned from a friend about a chamber sealer. I didn't really understand them till I saw one in action.

Basically - a normal sealer sucks the air out of the plastic bag. This works for dry things. It doesn't work too well for fish, or wet meats, etc.

A chamber sealer sucks the air out of a chamber around the bag. This causes the bag to expand (rather than contract), expelling the air in the bag.

The main advantages of a chamber sealer are:
- you can seal wet foods
- you can vacuum seal fresh soup
- or whole meals
- even a bag full of water, to make your own ice packs
- the bags are much cheaper ($.03 to $.07 ea)
-They last much longer (mine is over 7,000 bags)
- I seal paperwork
- I even seal the compressor oil into a bag so it doesn't leak
- and I could go on ...

Heres the one I have ... https://www.vacmasterfresh.com/vacmaster-vp215-best-selling-commercial-chamber-vacuum-sealer/

I do a lot of sealing. I would never go back to a regular sealer.

Here's a bunch of salmon fillets - perfect seal every time (try that with a normal sealer - I have, it sucks)

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]
You cannot permanently help men by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves - Abraham Lincoln

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #201 on: December 21, 2021, 09:37:25 am »
The seal a meal has a wet and dry selection. Sometimes you have to fix the bags that are wet. If it is real wet, it helps to do it twice. If you leave enough plastic on top of the bag you can just re seal it. The problem shows up when there is too much water under the seal line.
Jim Altmiller

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #202 on: December 21, 2021, 11:03:54 am »
The seal a meal has a wet and dry selection. Sometimes you have to fix the bags that are wet.

mine too.  A bit of a learning curve for the wetter stuff. 

a Chamber sealer.

This is something I will look at when I kill the one I have!  :grin:
There is no week nor day nor hour when tyranny may not enter upon this country, if the people lose their roughness and spirit of defiance.? --Walt Whitman

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Super Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #203 on: December 21, 2021, 12:41:50 pm »
Thanks for all the comments everyone. 

That was going to be my question too. From what I understand about your type system, the freeze dried food is good for 25 years. I am wondering if you do add vacuum sealing before placing in the mylar bag, will it eliminate the need for aid of oxygen absorbers?
This is a question we've been trying to figure out.  Retiredat40, the guy whose Youtube channel we've been watching to learn a lot about freeze drying, seems to sometimes do just one, and sometimes he does both, and we aren't sure why.  It's hard to find good information about this stuff, there is a lot of misinformation out there.  I was reading on some website a few weeks ago about oxygen absorbers, and it said that "oxygen absorbers suck all the air out of a package" which is just patently false.  An oxygen absorber is not a magical tiny vacuum sealer.  The words oxygen and air are not interchangeable in this context. 

Here's a bunch of salmon fillets - perfect seal every time (try that with a normal sealer - I have, it sucks)
No pun intended?  :wink: :cheesy: 

Heres the one I have ... https://www.vacmasterfresh.com/vacmaster-vp215-best-selling-commercial-chamber-vacuum-sealer/

Ah, so you've got the top of the house one that everyone recommends.  It's sounding like you have found it to be worth the price though.  We are definitely leaning towards the chamber sealer, just for versatility's sake, that is, if we find we really need/want one.  The biggest question is where we would put it, as it's so large, and with the sucking-type ones, that's not as much of a problem.  We could barely find room for the freeze dryer. 
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #204 on: December 21, 2021, 03:45:36 pm »

BF
I am wondering if you do add vacuum sealing before placing in the mylar bag, will it eliminate the need for aid of oxygen absorbers?

The15thMember
This is a question we've been trying to figure out.  Retiredat40, the guy whose Youtube channel we've been watching to learn a lot about freeze drying, seems to sometimes do just one, and sometimes he does both, and we aren't sure why.  It's hard to find good information about this stuff, there is a lot of misinformation out there.  I was reading on some website a few weeks ago about oxygen absorbers, and it said that "oxygen absorbers suck all the air out of a package" which is just patently false.  An oxygen absorber is not a magical tiny vacuum sealer.  The words oxygen and air are not interchangeable in this context.

No doubt you will get this figured out. Let us know of your uncoverings please.

Phillip
If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14 KJV

Offline CoolBees

• Queen Bee
« Reply #205 on: December 21, 2021, 04:36:26 pm »

a Chamber sealer.

This is something I will look at when I kill the one I have!  :grin:

I highly recommend it. And to clarify - I don't know a single person at the company and have no vested interest - just a few decades of personal experience. There are other chamber sealer companies - but the ocean-fishing community has used them all, and this one is the best.

No pun intended?  :wink: :cheesy: 

Ah, so you've got the top of the house one that everyone recommends.  It's sounding like you have found it to be worth the price though.  We are definitely leaning towards the chamber sealer, just for versatility's sake, that is, if we find we really need/want one.  The biggest question is where we would put it, as it's so large, and with the sucking-type ones, that's not as much of a problem.  We could barely find room for the freeze dryer.

No pun intended -  :grin:  :grin: - I missed that one.  :shocked:

Yes, the chamber sealer is bigger. And - a word of caution: it's very heavy! It's not something I'd recommend planning to move around a lot. But definitely worth the price!!!
You cannot permanently help men by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves - Abraham Lincoln

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #206 on: December 21, 2021, 08:34:52 pm »
I had posted one here but it was not the same so I took it down.
If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14 KJV

Offline CoolBees

• Queen Bee
« Reply #207 on: December 21, 2021, 08:35:11 pm »
Alan this one looks similar. On Sale
Might not be the same?

To clarify - I'm a member of six fishing forums with a total of more than 20k active members. Plus, many yrs in the harbors and around the docks. Vacuum Sealers are an annual topic. The overriding concensus is for Vacmaster. So I followed thier advice and have been extremely happy. ... there may be (and probably are) other great products. And I'd guess these guys have tried them all. ... I'm just passing alone what I learned, and am happy with.

Also - vacmaster gives discounts: Veteran, Club memberships, etc - just call them and ask. They have super customer service. Fwiw.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #208 on: December 21, 2021, 08:37:53 pm »
Alan the one I posted looked very similar and was the same brand but smaller and I do not know the other differences. Yours is tried and tested. Thanks.

Offline CoolBees

• Queen Bee
« Reply #209 on: December 21, 2021, 08:47:11 pm »
No worries Phillip - I responded prior to seeing the brand. Sorry about that. I've heard only good things about everything they  (vacmaster) make. But I only provide this on a Fwiw basis. If it helps someone - good deal!  :grin:

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • No longer keeping bees
« Reply #210 on: December 22, 2021, 08:29:19 am »
With the help of the Indians**, the harvest was bountiful that year - and they celebrated with a big meal, now known as Thanksgiving.
Understanding what you write might be helpful.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline salvo

• Field Bee
« Reply #211 on: December 22, 2021, 04:27:27 pm »
Hey Acebird!

C'Mon Man! Quit raining on this kid's parade, Will ya?

Sal

« Last Edit: December 22, 2021, 07:09:54 pm by Ben Framed »
Salvo

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #212 on: December 28, 2021, 06:12:10 pm »
The15thMember. I wonder how freeze dried pollen would fare? It is my understanding that pollen is best kept fresh with freezing. Wouldn't it stand to reason, freeze-drying would insure a good method to preserve pollen as well?  🤷🏻‍♂️

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Super Bee
« Reply #213 on: December 28, 2021, 07:03:27 pm »
The15thMember. I wonder how freeze dried pollen would fare? It is my understanding that pollen is best kept fresh with freezing. Wouldn't it stand to reason, freeze-drying would insure a good method to preserve pollen as well?  🤷🏻‍♂️
I was thinking the same thing.  Pollen is often dehydrated, so I don't know why it couldn't be freeze dried.  I'm thinking about trying some this summer. 

We're putting our New Years Eve candy in this evening, so I'll let you guys know how it turns out.   
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Super Bee
« Reply #214 on: December 29, 2021, 12:04:05 pm »
Oh guys, the candy is extremely amusing!  We did Starburst, flavored Tootsie Rolls, Swedish Fish, Whoppers, Skittles, organic gummy worms (apparently non-organic ones don't work, since the wax they are coated in that makes them shiny seals in the water), and Milk Duds.  The bottom line of candy on the tray is just straight out of the package and the top is after it came out of the freeze dryer.  The Whoppers didn't work, because nothing happened to them in the vacuum and then the chocolate just melted during the drying phase.  The Swedish fish did absolutely nothing, the ones that are freeze dried are indistinguishable from the ones that are in the package.  The Starburst and Tootsie Rolls are still pretty soft, but they aren't dense anymore, and the Skittles look just like pool balls.  But the gummy worms and the Milk Duds are like the consistence of a cheese puff!  It's so weird.  We haven't eaten anything yet, we're saving the fun for New Years Eve, but we're really excited to try them! 
« Last Edit: December 29, 2021, 12:59:26 pm by The15thMember »

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Super Bee
« Reply #215 on: January 02, 2022, 01:53:10 pm »
We tried all our candy on New Year's Eve and hands down the best was the Milk Duds!  The Skittles, Starburst, and Tootsie Rolls were good too, but they weren't that different from before.  They are lighter and harder, but they rehydrate quickly in your mouth, so the experience of eating them is just crunchy at first and then normal.  The gummy worms tasted good, but they were really hard to eat, because they stick in your teeth.  It was a fun experiment, but I doubt we'll be doing much candy in the future. 

We did another round of fruit and veggies the other day, more bananas, apples, mandarin oranges, pineapples, and carrots.  The fruits are delicious freeze dried, especially the mandarin oranges, which just melt in your mouth.  The carrots aren't great as is, but they rehydrate really well.  After a few minutes in water they feel like a pool noodle in your hands, which sounds gross, but eating it is like the most perfectly cooked carrot you ever had, soft but with good texture, not at all mushy.  If you were going to use them in soup or something, I bet you'd never know the difference.  The pineapple rehydrated nicely as well.  The mandarin oranges didn't though.  They are so powdery that they don't retain their shape once put in water.  Perhaps less water would work better.  The apples rehydrate okay, but they turn brown in water, so we may try rehydrating them in lemon juice in the future if we want them rehydrated, which we may not, as they are delicious as is too, especially the more tart apples like granny smith. 

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Super Bee
« Reply #216 on: January 04, 2022, 06:18:19 pm »
Time for our first try with the big guns: freeze drying whole entrees.  This cycle took just over 21 hours.  From right to left we have sweet and sour rabbit, hamburger barbeque (or sloppy joe meat), ham and bean soup, and penne a la philly (red sauce with cream cheese).  We just have it all in half gallon ball jars right now, since we will be rehydrating it all for supper tomorrow to see how it works.  The other picture is how the soup looked coming off the tray.  In the future we probably would keep the beans out of the soup, since they didn't fully dry because water got trapped in some of them, and beans are shelf stable anyway, so it would be just as easy to add them in later when rehydrating the soup. 

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • No longer keeping bees
« Reply #217 on: January 05, 2022, 08:48:04 am »
At the rate you are going you better build a power plant.  I don't think the new Ford will handle this surge.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Super Bee
« Reply #218 on: January 05, 2022, 11:06:09 am »
At the rate you are going you better build a power plant.  I don't think the new Ford will handle this surge.
Well that's why we're running it now, while the grid is still up.  :wink:

For any who may be genuinely interested, Living Traditions Homestead, who is one of our favorite trusted sources for homesteading advice and has the exact same freeze dryer that we do, talks about the energy consumption and cost of running the machine in this video.  The math starts at about 15:00. 

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #219 on: January 05, 2022, 11:33:50 am »
Reagan I watched from 15:00 on. That was really interesting! Thanks for posting.