Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Something else to consider-becoming the crazy prepper  (Read 15926 times)

Offline CoolBees

• Queen Bee
Re: Something else to consider-becoming the crazy prepper
« Reply #140 on: December 15, 2021, 12:11:09 am »
Wow - that unit it a lot smaller than the one I was looking at. The one I saw was about 6' tall & 30" wide - free standing.

Pls keep us updated. I'm definitely interested in the results.
You cannot permanently help men by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves - Abraham Lincoln

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • No longer keeping bees
« Reply #141 on: December 15, 2021, 08:22:54 am »
It is pulling out moisture so plumb the exhaust from the vacuum pump to the outside.  The moisture will also make all the box goods stale and shorten the shelf life.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Super Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #142 on: December 15, 2021, 11:17:06 am »
It is pulling out moisture so plumb the exhaust from the vacuum pump to the outside.  The moisture will also make all the box goods stale and shorten the shelf life.
It actually doesn't expel the water as vapor into the air.  The machine has a condenser, which liquefies the water pulled out of the food, so when the cycle is finished, you just open the drain valve and drain the water into a bucket.  It doesn't make the room damp, only warm, and that's only because we have it in a very small room.  The vacuum pump itself heats up quite a bit, but I doubt the machine would noticeably raise the temperature of a larger room. 

When I checked on the freeze dryer this morning, the drying cycle was close to complete.  You can see the drying time on the screen, as well as the total cycle time in the corner.  I'll let you all know when the food is done.
[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Super Bee
« Reply #143 on: December 15, 2021, 03:38:08 pm »
It's done!  The total cycle time was 18 hrs., 13 min., 13 sec.  All three fruits taste really good!  The bananas and the blueberries even improved in flavor, and the raspberries stayed about the same.  The consistency of the berries is like a puffed cereal, and the banana is a little denser.  The raspberries are visually indistinguishable from before, the bananas got just a little bit brown, and some of the blueberries busted open.  Also, the blueberries weren't very good quality, a lot of them were mushy, and the mushy ones didn't really work; they just deflated into little mushy skins.  The nice firm blueberries worked great though, even the ones that broke open. 
« Last Edit: December 15, 2021, 05:48:27 pm by The15thMember »
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #144 on: December 15, 2021, 03:42:56 pm »
Awesome! Have you decided what your next go-round will be? (What type of food). Thanks for the update!
If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14 KJV

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Super Bee
« Reply #145 on: December 15, 2021, 03:45:11 pm »
Awesome! Have you decided what your next go-round will be? (What type of food). Thanks for the update!
Actually yes, we're doing yogurt drops and ice cream sandwiches.  :smile:

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Super Bee
« Reply #146 on: December 15, 2021, 03:55:49 pm »
Here they are all jarred up.

Offline gww

• Super Bee
« Reply #147 on: December 15, 2021, 05:51:44 pm »
As I am sure you could not resist trying them, how did they taste?
Cheers
gww

Offline CoolBees

• Queen Bee
« Reply #148 on: December 15, 2021, 05:57:30 pm »
That's really awesome!!!
You cannot permanently help men by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves - Abraham Lincoln

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #149 on: December 15, 2021, 07:58:33 pm »
They look great. I may yet get one. 😊
Did you use a vacuum sealer on the jars?

Jim Altmiller

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Super Bee
« Reply #150 on: December 15, 2021, 08:08:57 pm »
As I am sure you could not resist trying them, how did they taste?
Cheers
gww
I actually mentioned it in reply #143, but they were all great.  I can't wait for breakfast tomorrow to put some on my oatmeal.

They look great. I may yet get one. 😊
Did you use a vacuum sealer on the jars?

Jim Altmiller
No, we actually don't have a vacuum sealer for jars (yet).  But even if we did, we're going to use this batch up pretty fast, so it didn't seem necessary to do anything to help preserve them beyond just jarring them up.   

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • No longer keeping bees
« Reply #151 on: December 16, 2021, 08:12:25 am »
The fruit doesn't even look close to dry.  I think you should sacrifice a jar and not open it for 6 month to see if something deteriorates.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Super Bee
« Reply #152 on: December 16, 2021, 11:12:44 am »
The fruit doesn't even look close to dry.
Ok, are you referring to the blueberries that are deflated?  Because I did say that those didn't work.  If we wanted to fully dry them, we'd have left them in the machine longer, but if we had, we would have been only left with little crispy blueberry skins, and we didn't see the point in that, so we tossed the bad ones to the chickens.  If you are referring to all the fruit as a whole, you are just wrong.  All three fruits are completely dry.  If you tap on them with your finger it sounds like they are made of plaster, and if you crush one up, it's nothing but powder.  Unlike in a dehydrator, the food from a freeze dryer won't look much different than when it went in; it won't shrivel up or anything like that. 

I think you should sacrifice a jar and not open it for 6 month to see if something deteriorates.

We'll get to long term storage soon, but this is literally our first try with this machine.  If we were going to store it for months at a time or longer, we'd put it in mylar with an oxygen absorber or use a vacuum sealer. 

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Super Bee
« Reply #153 on: December 16, 2021, 11:37:44 am »
Last night's batch was done this morning when I got up.  We did ice cream sandwiches and yogurt drops, and this batch took 10:42:03.  Here's some pictures of how they look.  (My artist sister went a little overboard with piping out the yogurt!  :cheesy:)  Both taste really good, although the vanilla ice cream in the sandwiches is a little less flavorful than before.  The yogurt drops are exactly like the ones you can get in the store.  We also tried rehydrating some of the yogurt, and it went back to being yogurt that was almost indistinguishable from how it was before we freeze dried it. 

Offline gww

• Super Bee
« Reply #154 on: December 16, 2021, 12:22:58 pm »
Seems funny storing ice cream on a table top don't it. :grin:
Cheers
gww

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Super Bee
« Reply #155 on: December 16, 2021, 02:04:38 pm »
Seems funny storing ice cream on a table top don't it. :grin:
Cheers
gww
It's totally strange.  Your brain just can't totally comprehend that it's not going to be cold when you bite into it.  :grin:

Offline CoolBees

• Queen Bee
« Reply #156 on: December 16, 2021, 02:40:53 pm »
Looks like some great Christmas candy gifts.  :grin: Nicely done!

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • No longer keeping bees
« Reply #157 on: December 17, 2021, 08:26:47 am »
If we were going to store it for months at a time or longer, we'd put it in mylar with an oxygen absorber or use a vacuum sealer.
If it is not for long term storage then what is the point, unless you want to live on cookies?
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Super Bee
« Reply #158 on: December 17, 2021, 10:51:26 am »
If we were going to store it for months at a time or longer, we'd put it in mylar with an oxygen absorber or use a vacuum sealer.
If it is not for long term storage then what is the point, unless you want to live on cookies?
Why are you not actually listening to what I'm saying?  You literally cut out of my quote the answer to your own question. 

We'll get to long term storage soon, but this is literally our first try with this machine.  If we were going to store it for months at a time or longer, we'd put it in mylar with an oxygen absorber or use a vacuum sealer. 
Obviously the purpose of the machine is for long term storage, and obviously we are not planning on living on cookies.  We are just starting out experimenting with the machine, and it's going to require some trial and error, and part of that trial and error is eating the food that comes out of it. 

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #159 on: December 17, 2021, 11:48:06 am »
Why are you not actually listening to what I'm saying?  You literally cut out of my quote the answer to your own question. 

The15thMember don't take it personal. Ace is also a avid arguer.  :cheesy: If there is one thing he loves more than bees, it's arguing! It doesn't matter if he is right or wrong. He doesn't let a little thing like that stand in his way, (no ma'am), just as long as he can get a little gab our of you.    :shocked: :wink: :cool: 

And what better place to stir up a little foray than here at the coffeehouse in the morning?.... :wink: :cool:  You got to love him! Bless his heart...   :grin:
If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14 KJV