Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: What?s Cookin?  (Read 31469 times)

Offline .30WCF

• Field Bee
Re: What?s Cookin?
« Reply #260 on: January 17, 2022, 11:14:56 am »
Banana Nut bread

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #261 on: January 17, 2022, 11:35:43 am »
I want to learn to do more middle eastern and Indian cooking.  my newish neighbors are from one of the former USSR 'stan countries and do a lot of middle east type cooking.  We shared a lot of produce with them this summer and they have shared dishes they make with us.  I am not a lamb fan, but they butchered and what he made was fantastic.
My sister does great Indian dishes because they have a bunch of friends from India and she's learned from them.  She got the cooking/artsy genes.  I didn't.   :cry:

There is no week nor day nor hour when tyranny may not enter upon this country, if the people lose their roughness and spirit of defiance.? --Walt Whitman

Offline .30WCF

• Field Bee
« Reply #262 on: January 19, 2022, 09:04:30 pm »

Offline .30WCF

• Field Bee
« Reply #263 on: January 25, 2022, 11:27:43 pm »
I just put them in quart jars and sit in the oven about an inch apart from each other at 240 degrees for four hour.  Then turn the oven off while making real sure the door is never opened and then let them sit over night before moving.  We have put pork in when I was young but lately just chunked up deer and salt.  It is good to eat cold or hot.  I read that it is dangerous and so only say what we do not what others should do.  Some people hate instant mashed potatoes but if you are in a hurry you can add a little water to the deer and thicken with corn starch and have a pretty good meal in the time it takes to get water to boil, boom done.
It is really good just cold out of the jar on bread also.
Cheers
gww
That guy I was talking about?s story was, that there was no lid. The fat would solidify on top and seal the jar. I?m sure it can be done as you do, with a commercial lid.

Offline .30WCF

• Field Bee
« Reply #264 on: January 25, 2022, 11:33:49 pm »
Spicy Chicken Mac & Cheese

Online The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Super Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #265 on: January 28, 2022, 05:53:56 pm »
Since Sal seemed eager for pictures, I thought I'd post a cooking photo today.  My mom got a Smithey Dutch oven for Christmas, and she's using it for the first time tonight making chicken and dumplings. She's absolutely loving it so far, although she's not used to having a pot where the handles get hot, so I predict she's going to burn herself on it before she learns not to hold the handle when she stirs. 
[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

My little sister and I also made peppermint patties with some crystallized honey I found on the shelf.  They are solidifying in the fridge now, so we'll see how they turn out.
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline .30WCF

• Field Bee
« Reply #266 on: January 28, 2022, 07:45:39 pm »
I?m coming over for dinner.

Offline salvo

• Field Bee
« Reply #267 on: January 28, 2022, 08:12:50 pm »
AAAWWWE You two are making an old man's heart flutter!

I tossed a three pound chuck roast in the oven about an hour ago. Just peeled (usually don't, but greenish skin) potatoes, carrots, green beans and an onion to toss in. Staub #31. No turnip this time.

Pulled out my "special knife", old no-name, laser, blue steel. English cut.

Just me and the Dearest. Fourty-five years married next month. Storm coming:

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ][ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

We'll loose power by morning, I'm sure. Wood stove, Bay blanket. "By Jesus, the wind blow so cold that everyone sleep and dog is coucher too!  Bye and bye, she blow some more.  You won't drown if you stay on the shore! "

Two years ago, winter, four days no power. No big deal! I'm not climbing on the roof this year to shovel it off. Too old for that.

I got a new phone, $24.00, 4-5 G. I think it has a camera. Can't figure how to save contacts.

Keep on keeping on!

Sal

Salvo

Offline .30WCF

• Field Bee
« Reply #268 on: January 28, 2022, 08:23:08 pm »
You better bring some extra wood up on the porch for that one.

Online The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Super Bee
« Reply #269 on: January 28, 2022, 08:33:38 pm »
I?m coming over for dinner.
We've got plenty.  Mom made two pots of it, so we'll freeze dry some and still have leftovers for days. 

AAAWWWE You two are making an old man's heart flutter!

I tossed a three pound chuck roast in the oven about an hour ago. Just peeled (usually don't, but greenish skin) potatoes, carrots, green beans and an onion to toss in. Staub #31. No turnip this time.

Pulled out my "special knife", old no-name, laser, blue steel. English cut.
Hey, that sounds good!  That meal is nothing to sneeze at.

Just me and the Dearest. Fourty-five years married next month.
Congratulations!

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

We'll loose power by morning, I'm sure. Wood stove, Bay blanket. "By Jesus, the wind blow so cold that everyone sleep and dog is coucher too!  Bye and bye, she blow some more.  You won't drown if you stay on the shore! "

Two years ago, winter, four days no power. No big deal! I'm not climbing on the roof this year to shovel it off. Too old for that.

I can't even imagine the panic everyone around here would be in if we were expecting that much snow.  Try and stay warm!

Here's the finished meal in the pot. 

A mock Wendy's salad for an appetizer.

The chicken and dumplings plated (bowled?) up.

And here's the peppermint patties, which are pretty good, but a little too minty.  I think we'll cut back on the peppermint extract next time.
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline .30WCF

• Field Bee
What?s Cookin?
« Reply #270 on: January 28, 2022, 08:36:50 pm »
That bowl of dumplings looks insane. I could hurt myself with that pot of dumplings.

Offline salvo

• Field Bee
« Reply #271 on: January 31, 2022, 10:27:10 pm »
Hi Folks,

Amazing! Did not lose power during that snowstorm. My area got 24 inches. My wife's friend's town got 30.9 inches. It all went pretty well. Now to get the snow off my eaves, snow rake. Hive entrances all clear. 45 degrees Thursday. Micro-climate. I'll bet my bees are out if there's no wind.

Anyway, question about your favorite mayonnaise. When I was a kid, it was home made. My favorite now and for a long time is a local brand, Cain's. I'll eat Hellman's. Don't like Miracle whip. I'm going to try Duke's and Kewpie if I can find them.

What's your favorite, or do you make your own?

Sal
Salvo

Offline .30WCF

• Field Bee
« Reply #272 on: January 31, 2022, 10:48:05 pm »
Dukes all the way.
Firecrackers to start the roof avalanche.

Online The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Super Bee
« Reply #273 on: January 31, 2022, 11:54:15 pm »
Hi Folks,

Amazing! Did not lose power during that snowstorm. My area got 24 inches. My wife's friend's town got 30.9 inches. It all went pretty well. Now to get the snow off my eaves, snow rake. Hive entrances all clear. 45 degrees Thursday. Micro-climate. I'll bet my bees are out if there's no wind.
Good to hear you aren't stuck in a igloo up there, Sal!  We got an inch and half of unexpected snow over the weekend.  It was rough, but we survived by the skin of our teeth.  :wink: :cheesy:

Anyway, question about your favorite mayonnaise. When I was a kid, it was home made. My favorite now and for a long time is a local brand, Cain's. I'll eat Hellman's. Don't like Miracle whip. I'm going to try Duke's and Kewpie if I can find them.

Sal
Dukes all the way.
My northern roots come out here.  Everyone in the south loves Duke's.  Yuck!  I can't stand the stuff.  My mom heavily prefers Hellman's, so that's what we usually have, but Kraft is fine too.  We'd like to try making our own sometime, just to see what it's like, but I doubt my mom will ever be truly satisfied with anything but Hellman's.  Miracle Whip is the stuff of nightmares, but we have it in the house for recipes and because my dad likes it, but I'll rue the day I accidentally put it on a sandwich.  That and the day I used sweet pickles instead of dill on a hot dog, gross!  :oops: 

Offline .30WCF

• Field Bee
What?s Cookin?
« Reply #274 on: February 01, 2022, 12:00:08 am »
Hi Folks,

Good to hear you aren't stuck in a igloo up there, Sal!  We got an inch and half of unexpected snow over the weekend.  It was rough, but we survived by the skin of our teeth.  :wink: :cheesy:

Sal
Dukes all the way.
My northern roots come out here.  Everyone in the south loves Duke's.  Yuck!  I can't stand the stuff.  My mom heavily prefers Hellman's, so that's what we usually have, but Kraft is fine too.  We'd like to try making our own sometime, just to see what it's like, but I doubt my mom will ever be truly satisfied with anything but Hellman's.  Miracle Whip is the stuff of nightmares, but we have it in the house for recipes and because my dad likes it, but I'll rue the day I accidentally put it on a sandwich.  That and the day I used sweet pickles instead of dill on a hot dog, gross!  :oops:
I grew up on Jimmy?s hotdogs up in Easton, Pa. I like mustard onion and pickle.

I wouldn?t start a fight over mayonnaise, with my wife, again. I like dukes. She likes something else, I don?t remember. There are usually two jars in the fridge.

« Last Edit: February 01, 2022, 12:19:30 am by .30WCF »

Offline salvo

• Field Bee
« Reply #275 on: February 01, 2022, 06:51:58 am »
Hi 15,

Tell your Mom a little-known fact about Hellman's mayonnaise:

Hellman's has been made in England since well before the 20th century. Well-liked in the UK, USA, and especially Mexico, it was incorporated into a number of traditional tasty dishes to give it a new, and much-loved, flavor. Hellman's was so popular in Mexico that many ships, even passenger liners, carried large quantities to New York, then to Vera Cruz, Mexico, for distribution throughout much of that nation, as it became a popular condiment (and therefore profitable cargo).

Getting even crazier: the Titanic was supposed to bring nearly a year's supply of Hellman's from England to New York, then Vera Cruz, but all it was lost when the Titanic sunk. The citizens of Vera Cruz were so upset when the learned of the sinking of the Titanic and all of the precious Hellman's that they declared a *National Day of Mourning,* which was called..

El Sinko De Mayo.

Sal
Salvo

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #276 on: February 01, 2022, 07:27:12 am »
Salvo
El Sinko De Mayo.

:shocked: :grin: :cheesy:
If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14 KJV

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #277 on: February 01, 2022, 07:30:13 am »
No Dukes in my part of the South. I have never heard of it until now. We do have Blue Plate and all the grocery store name sake brands as well but; Its Hellmans for most delights. "Hellmans Real Mayonnaise"  "Bring out the Hellmans and bring out the best!" Miracle whip is good for a tomato sandwich 'from time to time'.. Showing once again;  "Variety is the spice of Life".
Too bad we don't have Dukes, I would try it...
If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14 KJV

Online The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Super Bee
« Reply #278 on: February 01, 2022, 07:39:21 pm »
Hi 15,

Tell your Mom a little-known fact about Hellman's mayonnaise:

Hellman's has been made in England since well before the 20th century. Well-liked in the UK, USA, and especially Mexico, it was incorporated into a number of traditional tasty dishes to give it a new, and much-loved, flavor. Hellman's was so popular in Mexico that many ships, even passenger liners, carried large quantities to New York, then to Vera Cruz, Mexico, for distribution throughout much of that nation, as it became a popular condiment (and therefore profitable cargo).

Getting even crazier: the Titanic was supposed to bring nearly a year's supply of Hellman's from England to New York, then Vera Cruz, but all it was lost when the Titanic sunk. The citizens of Vera Cruz were so upset when the learned of the sinking of the Titanic and all of the precious Hellman's that they declared a *National Day of Mourning,* which was called..

El Sinko De Mayo.

Sal

Hardy-har!  :cheesy:  Funny story, Sal, but Richard Hellmann, who invented Hellmann's mayonnaise was a Prussian immigrant who lived in NY, which is where the only Hellmann's factory was at the time the Titanic sank.  In fact Hellmann's wasn't even sold in the UK until the 60's.  REAL fun fact about Hellmann's: the brand of mayo called Best Foods, which is sold west of the Rockies in the US and in Australia, New Zealand, and Asia, is exactly the same as Hellmann's, it's just for some reason sold under a different label in those areas. 

No Dukes in my part of the South. I have never heard of it until now. We do have Blue Plate and all the grocery store name sake brands as well but; Its Hellmans for most delights. "Hellmans Real Mayonnaise"  "Bring out the Hellmans and bring out the best!" Miracle whip is good for a tomato sandwich 'from time to time'.. Showing once again;  "Variety is the spice of Life".
Too bad we don't have Dukes, I would try it...
That's funny, it must be more of a Carolinas thing.  I remember seeing it in Virginia too, but it wasn't as universally adored there.   

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #279 on: February 01, 2022, 07:44:57 pm »
The15thMember
 I remember seeing it in Virginia too, but it wasn't as universally adored there.

In that case I might renege of the 'trying it' part. lol I will take your word for it! lol :grin: