Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: What?s Cookin?  (Read 26217 times)

Offline .30WCF

• Field Bee
Re: What?s Cookin?
« Reply #200 on: December 12, 2021, 11:38:38 pm »
At first I thought the rice mix was refried beans.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline salvo

• Field Bee
« Reply #201 on: December 13, 2021, 09:44:16 am »
Hi Folks,

This morning's breakfast:

A bowl of cold oatmeal and molasses followed by a cup of anger and despair.

On the brighter side though, I am pretty regular. And that's important at my age.

Sal
Salvo

Online The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Super Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #202 on: December 13, 2021, 03:00:05 pm »
It says filtered honey as the only ingredient. I did look at that before I ponied up the cash. But I?m not up to snuff in the labeling laws, so I could have been swindled with snake oil. I?ll have to say though, it tastes nothing like mine.

The trouble with adulterated honey is it's extremely difficult to detect.  Here's an article from Dadant about it, which is a little old, and a more recent one from Wired. 
https://www.dadant.com/honey-laundering-trails-all-lead-to-china/
https://www.wired.co.uk/article/honey-fraud-detection
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #203 on: December 13, 2021, 08:38:23 pm »
Hi Folks,

This morning's breakfast:

A bowl of cold oatmeal and molasses followed by a cup of anger and despair.

On the brighter side though, I am pretty regular. And that's important at my age.

Sal

Sal I picked up some sorghum molasses a few weeks back at the feed store. YUM! I hate to admit it but I rank 'good' sorghum right up there with Honey. Some mornings its a toss up..
If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14 KJV

Offline salvo

• Field Bee
« Reply #204 on: December 13, 2021, 08:53:41 pm »
Salvo

Offline .30WCF

• Field Bee
« Reply #205 on: December 13, 2021, 09:05:49 pm »
Hi Folks,

Little bit o' trivia here:

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/great-boston-molasses-flood-1919-killed-21-after-2-million-n958326

Sal
Could have made quite a few pies out of that.

Online The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Super Bee
« Reply #206 on: December 13, 2021, 10:28:18 pm »
Sal I picked up some sorghum molasses a few weeks back at the feed store. YUM! I hate to admit it but I rank 'good' sorghum right up there with Honey. Some mornings its a toss up..
We keep looking for a opportunity to try some sorghum.  We've never had any, and it's a such a classic southern and mountain staple.  It goes back to the days of the Civil War, if I remember correctly, because sugar was difficult to get due to the Union blockade. 
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #207 on: December 13, 2021, 10:42:56 pm »
Member when I was a boy there was a real old man that had a sorghum setup about a 1/2 mile from us. He still used a mule to extract the > juice< From the sorghum stalk. He had done this his whole life and made good money to boot.

Be careful of what you buy. Make sure it is real sorghum. Unfortunately some are cutting it with sugar cane molasses. I had a friend that stopped at the famous place in Missouri where they throw the rolls to you; (literally). I do not remember the name of the place but she picked up a quart for me. When I tasted it I was disappointed, I knew instantly this was not it. It only had a faint taste of sorghum. I read the fine print of the can which stated  sugar cane Molasses was added. Bummer! Kind of reminds me of the warning you pointed out to 30 about adulterated honey.

I hope you can find the real deal! Mum mum and mum good!! Lol 😂
If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14 KJV

Offline .30WCF

• Field Bee
« Reply #208 on: December 14, 2021, 08:29:51 am »
Hey Sal,

A gingerbread man went to the doctor complaining of a sore knee.

"Sore knee?" the doctor said. "Have you tried icing it?"

Offline salvo

• Field Bee
« Reply #209 on: December 14, 2021, 09:10:47 am »
[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]
Salvo

Online The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Super Bee
« Reply #210 on: December 15, 2021, 02:56:11 pm »
Speaking of oatmeal, my mom always says she doesn't like oatmeal but wishes she did, and the other day I said to her, "Saying you don't like oatmeal is like saying you don't like salad.  You just have to figure out how you like it".  So yesterday I walked her through how I make my oatmeal, and she just put her own spin on it as we went along, and she really liked it!   :happy:

Last night we had sweet and sour rabbit over rice with everything bread.
[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Offline CoolBees

• Queen Bee
« Reply #211 on: December 15, 2021, 03:24:02 pm »
My goodness that looks good!
You cannot permanently help men by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves - Abraham Lincoln

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #212 on: December 15, 2021, 03:27:15 pm »
My goodness that looks good!

It sure does! Yummm

Offline salvo

• Field Bee
« Reply #213 on: December 23, 2021, 07:28:03 am »
Hi Folks,

It's CHRISTMAS!

Let's get this thread moving again. 'Tis the Season.

Show me them pies. Show me those tables. I don't seek entertainment, just poultry and game.

I snapped some photos of my stove (I cook in my wood burner) and my oatmeal breakfast. They're jpegs. I try to attach them and get the message, like, "Over 800 whatevers". I then edit it down to under 800, try to attach again, and get told "No larger than 200". WAATUPWIDAT?

OMG! Freeze Dried lemon meringue pie? I can hardly wait.

Sal
Salvo

Offline .30WCF

• Field Bee
What?s Cookin?
« Reply #214 on: December 23, 2021, 07:31:33 am »
I lit the smoker at 4:30 this morning and put on a pork shoulder at 6. Once it gets light out I?ll see about tantalizing you.

Offline .30WCF

• Field Bee
« Reply #215 on: December 23, 2021, 07:40:43 am »
Hi Folks,

It's CHRISTMAS!

Let's get this thread moving again. 'Tis the Season.

Show me them pies. Show me those tables. I don't seek entertainment, just poultry and game.

I snapped some photos of my stove (I cook in my wood burner) and my oatmeal breakfast. They're jpegs. I try to attach them and get the message, like, "Over 800 whatevers". I then edit it down to under 800, try to attach again, and get told "No larger than 200". WAATUPWIDAT?

OMG! Freeze Dried lemon meringue pie? I can hardly wait.

Sal
  I use the free version of the Tapatalk app on my phone. It?s super easy to post, but because I don?t want to pay for it, I only get to post so many pictures a month and then I get cut off. I tend not to resize pictures and post since it?s such a pain in the butt, so I usually just stop posting. That seems easier than opening the photo in the resize it app, going through five steps there and saving a duplicate in my photo album, then going to the full website and uploading a crappy looking compressed photo. I?d just rather not.
  I actually think I?m out of uploads on Tapatalk right now, so I might just have to tell you how it smells.
  We did spaghetti and meatballs the other nite. Italian sausage balls with Parmesan cheese inside them, and chunky sauce mixed with Vodka sauce. Garlic toast on the side.

Offline .30WCF

• Field Bee
What?s Cookin?
« Reply #216 on: December 23, 2021, 07:58:53 am »
Maybe I?ll just work on my storytelling since I?m out of uploads.

It was 4:30 in the morning and the house was silent except for the popping of the wood stove as it cooled.  The stove was against the wall in the main room of the old house. The stove had last been fed late the nite before and all that remained was a small bed of coals giving a little light to the immediate area in the room. Through the doorway into the kitchen I could hear the coffee pot mimicking the cadence of the wood stove as it dripped my morning coffee into the carafe and an occasional puff of steam hissing would disrupt the pattern of the coffee pot and wood stove as they seemed to be whispering to each other about something I couldn?t discern, but they seemed at peace about the matter.

« Last Edit: December 23, 2021, 10:09:07 am by .30WCF »

Offline salvo

• Field Bee
« Reply #217 on: December 23, 2021, 09:36:11 am »
I'm making coffee now.

Sal
Salvo

Offline .30WCF

• Field Bee
« Reply #218 on: December 23, 2021, 09:56:24 am »
Thanks Sal. I?m making bacon and French Toast and hit the link you shared.
  My six year old said, Daaaaad! Why did you put that on? That?s the worst song ever. But, I do like it to dance. Next thing I know I?m forced into a conga line with a 6 and 8 year old going all through the kitchen and dining room over and over. Almost burnt the toast.
  So much for the quiet whisper of the wood stove;)

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #219 on: December 23, 2021, 10:06:07 am »