Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Spring Turkey 2021  (Read 3275 times)

Offline AustinB

• House Bee
  • Christian, father, outdoorsman
Spring Turkey 2021
« on: May 11, 2021, 09:03:24 am »
Anyone else been out chasing spring thunder in past few weeks? Unfortunately this year Virginias down trending number of birds has started to become evident in the handful of areas where I hunt (all large tracts of public land). Turkeys are there, doing turkey things, but they are fewer and further in between. I've kept hunting data for years and last year saw a boost in the areas I frequent. Followed by a decline this year. Season ends this Saturday here so I'll have a couple chances to get out there with the boys and see if we can connect. After that it will be fishing and beekeeping for the summer (and continuing my never ending construction at the house)
If you are getting out in the Turkey woods, good luck!
Here is my sons first bird 2019 taken on National Forest when he was 7 years old
The just man walketh in his integrity: his children are blessed after him.
Proverbs 20:7

Gracious words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones. Proberbs 16:24

Offline CoolBees

• Queen Bee
Re: Spring Turkey 2021
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2021, 02:39:39 pm »
That is so cool!!! Congrats on your son's first bird!! ... a very precious moment.

I remember my son's first Turkey, and his first deer, and in 2019 his first Elk. Today my son is my "hunting buddy". I enjoy it so much. We haven't connected this year on Toms. Like you, our season ends this weekend. That's the way it goes.  :grin:

Here's his 1st Elk

Good luck to you - I hope you get one before Saturday!
You cannot permanently help men by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves - Abraham Lincoln

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2021, 07:02:30 pm »
That's awesome!  My family doesn't hunt, but it's something we've started to think about recently.  My father used to hunt when he was young, but life got in the way and he hasn't hunted in years now.  The more I see you guys talking about it, the more it seems like a great thing to do.  My parents used to be big fishermen (uh, fisherman and fisherwoman?) before I was born, and now that all us kids are old enough to be unsupervised in a river, they've gotten us fishing regularly and we're really enjoying it.     
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2021, 09:35:31 pm »
I'm with Member, I like this topic as well. Austin your little mans' bird was almost as big as he and his smile, at the time. He looks to be one happy little hunter!🙂 (Of course he is a big boy now, 9 years old!)
I have those memories hunting with my Daddy Alan, as well as other family members. Cherished times. The pictures in both post are inviting. In your picture Alan I can almost feel the cold crisp air traveling through my lungs as taking in the beauty of the backdrop of mountain majesty. And Austins picture of the back scenery is beautiful country also. America the Beautiful!!

Adding: Elk hunting is something I have always wanted to do but haven't yet.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2021, 09:51:45 pm by Ben Framed »
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline CoolBees

• Queen Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2021, 03:44:54 am »
Good topic AustinB.

15th - I like to know where my meat comes from. ... As I'm sure you already know - commercial beef is fed genetically modified foods, shoved full of growth hormones, and antibiotics, and vaccinations, etc. ... I do all my own processing. Just finished 60 lbs of sausage tonight. Going in the smoker tomorrow afternoon. I love hunting - the "killing" part, not so much. But it's just enjoyable to eat meat that you've harvested. To me anyways. Also - I started smoking fish a few yrs ago. Salmon at first. Then one day - I decided to add some other fish into the brine. Albacore Tuna & Rainbow trout. After brining & smoking, they were Amazing! It was shocking how good they were. If you catch fish - keep that in mind. Cheers!   :grin:

Ben - it was cold that day. I'll tell the story someday. But it was awesome. Elk are a whole different "animal" (pun intended) to hunt. It's rough - but worth it imho ... even if you never see an Elk, the country you get to see ... well, it stays with you all your days.
You cannot permanently help men by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves - Abraham Lincoln

Offline AustinB

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2021, 01:11:25 pm »
That is so cool!!! Congrats on your son's first bird!! ... a very precious moment.

I remember my son's first Turkey, and his first deer, and in 2019 his first Elk. Today my son is my "hunting buddy". I enjoy it so much. We haven't connected this year on Toms. Like you, our season ends this weekend. That's the way it goes.  :grin:

Here's his 1st Elk

Good luck to you - I hope you get one before Saturday!

Coolbees - thank you! You know, I am looking forward to the day he really becomes an independent hunting buddy with me, the way your son is with you. At the same time I am trying to not rush it, and really enjoy these formative years where he needs me to do most of the work for him. I enjoy it very much. All 3 of my boys have a deep love for hunting. I want them to learn to cultivate their love for this great tradition and learn to respect and preserve our natural resources.
Congratulations on your sons first elk! That is a bucket list hunt for us for sure. I have an uncle who guides in Colorado, so an OTC elk hunt will probably be our first elk adventure. We have big plans to go to AK and hunt Haul Road for carribou as well, but that will be several years down the road.
Good luck to you as well with whats left of spring gobbler, post pics if you connect with a bird!

Gracious words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones. Proberbs 16:24

Offline AustinB

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2021, 01:17:24 pm »
That's awesome!  My family doesn't hunt, but it's something we've started to think about recently.  My father used to hunt when he was young, but life got in the way and he hasn't hunted in years now.  The more I see you guys talking about it, the more it seems like a great thing to do.  My parents used to be big fishermen (uh, fisherman and fisherwoman?) before I was born, and now that all us kids are old enough to be unsupervised in a river, they've gotten us fishing regularly and we're really enjoying it.     
It is a great thing, and the more new hunters who get into it, the better! Though I can relate to the life getting in the way part. We love to fish too, more hobbies than time I suppose :)

Ben - thank you. He was so proud of that bird. On the way home after we got it to the truck, he told me "dad, this is just the best day of my life!" Brought tears to my eys, though I didn't tell him that  :wink:

Coolbees - always good to meet anther hunter / fisherman / beekeeper / conservationist etc! :)

Offline jtcmedic

• Field Bee
    • Sweetest sting honey
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2021, 03:30:17 pm »
That is awesome my son and daughter both go out hunting with me. My son is 9 and gets his first time behind the rifle this year for deer and wants turkey real bad. We have changing are family land and will have turkeys soon due to the management we have done

Offline AustinB

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2021, 04:07:13 pm »
That is awesome my son and daughter both go out hunting with me. My son is 9 and gets his first time behind the rifle this year for deer and wants turkey real bad. We have changing are family land and will have turkeys soon due to the management we have done
Good to hear!
That's a nice gobbler track right there  :cool:

Offline CoolBees

• Queen Bee
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2021, 02:07:34 pm »
.... At the same time I am trying to not rush it, and really enjoy these formative years ...

Most definitely, the days go by slowly, but the years go by so fast!

I never pushed my kids to hunt. I simply "did my own thing" and answered their questions when asked. When my son was 12 yrs old, as I was pulling out of the driveway heading for 3 weeks in Elk camp, he came running out of the house and said, "Dad, I want to go too". I replied, "No Sir. You didn't finish your hunters safety course". ... when he was 13 he was ready. So I canceled everyone else and spent the season with him. He got his 1st buck & 1st Doe that year. Both whitetails. The look on his face as he held up his Buck for the first time, was priceless ... and I snapped the picture ... ahh memories. ... :grin: :cool:

Offline AustinB

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2021, 01:19:18 pm »
.... At the same time I am trying to not rush it, and really enjoy these formative years ...

Most definitely, the days go by slowly, but the years go by so fast!

I never pushed my kids to hunt. I simply "did my own thing" and answered their questions when asked. When my son was 12 yrs old, as I was pulling out of the driveway heading for 3 weeks in Elk camp, he came running out of the house and said, "Dad, I want to go too". I replied, "No Sir. You didn't finish your hunters safety course". ... when he was 13 he was ready. So I canceled everyone else and spent the season with him. He got his 1st buck & 1st Doe that year. Both whitetails. The look on his face as he held up his Buck for the first time, was priceless ... and I snapped the picture ... ahh memories. ... :grin: :cool:

Yep, if they want to do it that's great, if not its best to let it go. Great memories for sure. Some of my best childhood memories were hunting with my uncle and dad. My dad wasn't really a hunter, he did it because of my interest in it, which meant a lot to me.