Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Baby Goats on the Way!  (Read 14900 times)

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
Baby Goats on the Way!
« on: March 01, 2021, 05:08:10 pm »
My sister's does are ready to give birth for the first time any day!  Bella's (the black doe's) due date is on the 4th and she is already showing some early signs, so she's locked in the kidding stall.  Prim's (the brown doe's) due date is the 9th.  This is the first time we've had kids born, and we are so excited!  If nothing gets going soon we'll be getting up overnight and checking on Bella to see if anything's happening.   

I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Baby Goats on the Way!
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2021, 03:26:27 am »
Good luck. Hope everything goes well.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2021, 12:02:51 pm »
They're here!!  I was a late night last night.  Actually my sister didn't go to bed until 5:00 AM this morning.  I went to bed around 3:00 and slept only two hours before going out to relieve her.  The first baby was born at almost exactly midnight, and is a boy.  He's the all black one.  It was pretty rough on Bella, and my sister did have to help her out.  The second baby is a girl, she was born at 12:23 AM, and her birth was no trouble.  She's the one with white markings.  Bella was pretty freaked out by the babies at first, but she's figured out what the deal is with them now, and both babies are nursing and momma is recovering nicely. 

I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2021, 11:38:35 am »
They are so cute and fun when they are little!
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2021, 02:59:31 pm »
They are so cute and fun when they are little!
I know!  We are having a blast with them, they are up and running and jumping around in the pasture (under supervision) now, and they are a total riot.   

Why is it that Kathy is the only one to respond to this post?!  I guess crotchety old men don't care about cute baby goats.  :wink: :cheesy:

Our other doe kidded last night, and she had a boy and a girl as well.  My sister is planning on keeping Bella's girl to add to the herd and selling Prim's girl.  We're going to wether (castrate) the boys and either sell them as well or raise them for meat.   

Offline cao

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2021, 04:23:21 pm »
They are cute.  But, I'm just not a big fan of goats. :tongue:

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2021, 01:14:11 pm »
They are cute.  But, I'm just not a big fan of goats. :tongue:
What!?  How can you not love goats?  They are such characters.  :grin:

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2021, 07:33:41 pm »
Congratulations on your homestead progress! tell us about your others critters. Rabbits, Chickens, etc.
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2021, 09:07:37 pm »
Congratulations on your homestead progress! tell us about your others critters. Rabbits, Chickens, etc.
Thanks, Phillip.  But seriously, no one wants to hear more about the goats?!  *shakes head*  Why does everyone hate them?   :sad:  :cheesy:  We've got another batch of rabbits almost ready to butcher and both rabbit does rebred.  We've been feeding the rabbit organs to our cats lately, and they've been enjoying that.  The younger chickens are laying at full capacity and we're getting almost a dozen eggs a day.  My parents also fenced in the garden so the chickens can get some free range time when the trees leaf in.       

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2021, 09:29:58 pm »
Sounds good! When I was a boy at home I use to sell eggs to the local country store. Made some good spending money for a kid.
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2021, 12:33:29 am »
Why is it that Kathy is the only one to respond to this post?

Probably because she has a couple of goats   :cheesy:
Mine are huge intact males.  Long story...

But well behaved and have been tied out to eat blackberries and scrub since they were little.  They were cute then.  Not so much now!! 
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2021, 06:05:35 pm »
Why is it that Kathy is the only one to respond to this post?

Probably because she has a couple of goats   :cheesy:
Mine are huge intact males.  Long story...

But well behaved and have been tied out to eat blackberries and scrub since they were little.  They were cute then.  Not so much now!! 
Oh, that's right, I forgot you had goats, Kathy.  But when you said before that you had 2 males for brush clearing, I assumed you meant you had wethers!  Could we get some pictures of them perhaps?  My sister is curious about them.  :happy: 

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2021, 09:53:20 pm »
Could we get some pictures of them perhaps?

I'll try to remember.  I probably have some old pics but nothing newish. 

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2021, 03:40:46 pm »
Here are some pictures of the babies now that they are bigger.  Not that anyone cares.  :wink:  :cheesy:

Offline cao

• Super Bee
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2021, 07:55:58 pm »
 :happy:

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2021, 08:24:14 pm »
 :happy:
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2021, 10:16:27 am »
Good pictures. Are these milk goats?

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2021, 11:48:29 am »
They are a dual purpose breed, but yes, we are milking the does.  My sister is getting over a quart from each doe every morning.  It's absolutely delicious, much better than store bought cows milk.   

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2021, 12:01:01 pm »
They are a dual purpose breed, but yes, we are milking the does.  My sister is getting over a quart from each doe every morning.  It's absolutely delicious, much better than store bought cows milk.   

That is awesome. A few years ago a Mexican restaurant opened here. They featured goat milk cheese dip! It was outstanding with chips and salsa. I think through the years they have converted to regular cow milk. It does not have that good rich flavor that it once had. Do you make cheese as well?

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2021, 01:26:29 pm »

That is awesome. A few years ago a Mexican restaurant opened here. They featured goat milk cheese dip! It was outstanding with chips and salsa. I think through the years they have converted to regular cow milk. It does not have that good rich flavor that it once had. Do you make cheese as well?
My sister is going to try making cheese, but she hasn't had the time yet.  Apparently mozzarella is an easy cheese to make, so she is thinking about trying that first.  Maybe we'll be having goat cheese pizza soon!   

anything