Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: another old time adventure.  (Read 2673 times)

Offline divemaster1963

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Queen Bee
  • God Protect and watch over our sons and daughters.
another old time adventure.
« on: October 25, 2015, 02:43:57 pm »
Well was talking to my brother about the things we did when we were young. It came up ad im going bout sycamore sryup. Have not had that in 35 plus years. Well I have 30 trees near me and I'm going to collect SAP this spring around February. Takes 20-30 gals to make one gal sryup. Has a slight  butterscotch flavor. When you cooking it down people think you are making peanutbrittle.

John

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
Re: another old time adventure.
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2015, 09:44:30 pm »
interesting. I guess you could probably make syrup out of anything that has a good amount of sap.
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2015, 10:02:01 pm »
Never tried the syrup, but do boil the bark and make sycamore tea. Sorta like sassafras tea. A good,all around tonic.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2015, 10:05:36 pm »
That sounds good Wally. Do you cut it from the trunk or cut off a stick and then take off the bark?
I would really hate to seriously damage one of my 60' plus trees.
Jim
« Last Edit: November 10, 2015, 09:02:28 pm by sawdstmakr »
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2015, 11:12:00 pm »
I try to find some of the smaller ones, 4 to 8 in. dia., and cut strips vertically. They heal quick.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2015, 06:53:01 am »
Iddee, Have you ever used the bark from Cucumber Magnolia for arthritis? Got some drying right now.
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

anything